HybridZ

Building up an L28ET

JacktheRiffer

I bought a T3/TO4B (V trim) from Motorsport YEARS ago, and it's been an excellent turbo, tons of torque, dynoed 313 to the wheels with a stock engine, and it doesn't require manifold spacers and only slightly modified intake plumbing. The 50 trim E compressor is a good unit too, but it requires spacing off the exhaust manifold to clear the intake.

I bought a T3/TO4B (V trim) from Motorsport YEARS ago, and it's been an excellent turbo, tons of torque, dynoed 313 to the wheels with a stock engine, and it doesn't require manifold spacers and only slightly modified intake plumbing. The 50 trim E compressor is a good unit too, but it requires spacing off the exhaust manifold to clear the intake.

I was thinking possible this turbo: http://turboneticsinc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_91&product_id=572

Would it fit the stock engine? and what boost level is reliable without an intercooler?

I think that turbo needs an external wastegate. For modest power levels it's less complicated and less expensive to keep the internal wastegate. My turbo was built specifically from the stock turbo, so I still have the T3 turbine with the 5 bolt internal wastegate.

I would say 10 psi is as much as one can safely run without an intercooler, but that's not going to come close to 300hp. You really need an intercooler for that.

Edited by SleeperZ

I've seen people eek out more power from the stock turbo, but not much. There's plenty of tricks you can do to get more air through it, but usually it's just easier to throw in something with a larger compressor and be done. The Holset turbos are a decent upgrade too.

As far as "what's needed", leave the longblock alone (valve cover to oil pan). You can even leave the intake and exhaust manifolds stock. Just focus on three aspects.

Fuel - Larger injectors and a nice fuel rail really help and clean up the engine bay

Air - Larger turbo + intercooler + BOV, etc

Management - You NEED some form of fuel + spark control. Even MS1 is a better answer than the OEM ecu. Heck, people have even made over 300hp with bone stock Z31 ECUs which is a better option.