HybridZ

The $101,000 260?

str8pipez

must be nice to be rich and be dumb enough and to pay over 100k on a stock restoration.

Why is he dumb for spending 100k? If that's what he wanted to spend his money on, then all the power to him. Some people don't have the time or ability to do work like that themselves, and labour isn't cheap. A years worth of labour at $50/hour will set you back $100,000, and that doesn't even include parts. He may have had no intention of selling it and never viewed it as an investment. I know I couldn't care less what my Z is worth (other than for insurance purposes), because I never intend to get rid of it.

Nigel

Why is he dumb for spending 100k? If that's what he wanted to spend his money on, then all the power to him. Some people don't have the time or ability to do work like that themselves, and labour isn't cheap. A years worth of labour at $50/hour will set you back $100,000, and that doesn't even include parts. He may have had no intention of selling it and never viewed it as an investment. I know I couldn't care less what my Z is worth (other than for insurance purposes), because I never intend to get rid of it.

Nigel

Sure, but he used the probably exaggerated claim of "100k invested". I suppose that's not incorrect, Zuckerburg invested a lot more than that and isn't exactly happy with the outcome.

But for a light restomod with a body kit, no thanks. "Blacked out" or whatever his username was had that completely redone and SR20'd restomod, that was a lot closer to his 75k or 100k that he was asking.

Edited by BLOZ UP

Sure, but he used the probably exaggerated claim of "100k invested". I suppose that's not incorrect, Zuckerburg invested a lot more than that and isn't exactly happy with the outcome.

But for a light restomod with a body kit, no thanks. "Blacked out" or whatever his username was had that completely redone and SR20'd restomod, that was a lot closer to his 75k or 100k that he was asking.

Actually no... He had more into his car, according to him, than the 260Z shown in the first post in this thread, and his starting price was also more than what went into the 260Z in question.

http://teamspeed.com/forums/automobiles/48701-fs-1972-datsun-240z.html

Sh*t adds up quick. Take a look at Rodders Journal and consider what some of those guys have invest. Hundereds of thousands. I guess it is possible. I say spend it if you got it. No one here can say they wouldn't do the same if they could, and I'm not taking about stroking a check for $100K, but over time you KNOW you'd do it.

$uccumb to the Z and almighty dollar!

I can't figure out where the $101,000 was spent?

Did Jay Leno hand build this car? A fool and his money are easily separated... -_-

Do the math. A full stock restoration (not a refresh) on a car in decent shape will probably be at least a 1000 hours (~6 months) of work. If the car was in rough shape, then you’re up into the 1500 to 2000 hour range. Custom work adds even more time. But let’s say 1500 hours at $50/hour (which is probably on the low side) and you’re at $75,000, not including parts and materials.

People forget or ignore how much time gets lost working on all the little details, especially on a 40 year old car. You can easily blow an hour here and there just trying to get a single broken bolt out. So, a 50 cent bolt just cost you $50. You lose hours trying to track down a part that doesn’t exist anymore, then hours more repairing what you have. There’s the time spent dealing with sub-contractors. Etc, etc. All that time adds up and if you’re paying byt he hour, and you want every little detail perfect, you’re going to get a really big bill at the end.

Sure, you could spend a lot less (you can get a paint job at Macco for $250), but $100,000 is certainly not unrealistic, and doesn’t make the guy dumb or foolish.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

Actually no... He had more into his car, according to him, than the 260Z shown in the first post in this thread, and his starting price was also more than what went into the 260Z in question.

http://teamspeed.com...atsun-240z.html

I'm just saying that Blaked Outs car is more worth his asking price than this car is worth its. It's better done, I guess is what I'm saying.

Do the math. A full stock restoration (not a refresh) on a car in decent shape will probably be at least a 1000 hours (~6 months) of work. If the car was in rough shape, then you’re up into the 1500 to 2000 hour range. Custom work adds even more time. But let’s say 1500 hours at $50/hour (which is probably on the low side) and you’re at $75,000, not including parts and materials.

Exactly. People have no idea what it costs to do if you have to pay someone to do it. The shop I work for charges $60/hr and we turn out tons of $100k cars that would sell for around $50k at auction. Generally, people that spend the big money to have it done correctly, realize that quality work just takes time and their desire to have a nice car that will last will cost them far more than fair market value.

It's not a rare situation by any means, it's just a little different to see it start to happen to these types of cars. It just mean rich people like cool cars too I think.