HybridZ

Wiper Arm replacement

So pretty much my entire wiper arm assembly is shot: blades are shredded, the motors don't want to work, and the arms themselves are brittle and breaking apart. What are my options for replacing them? Just find some from another S30, or is there something that will bolt in? I'd prefer to do something that won't take a while to install or that entails fabricating anything, as I'd like to get the car road ready as quickly as possible.

Junkyard, ebay, and craigslist are your best options,  ive never seen any new or NOS available, at least not for the motor and linkage...   While your at it, upgrade the motor (honda motors are the most common) for faster, and more reliable wipers.

AVOID the parts store crap wiper blade,  they use a plastic adapter to the stock style mount and it is not strong by any stretch of the imagination.   my buddy (PO of my current car) lost one in the middle of a storm,    unfortunately the only other option i know of is a ~70 dollar per pair NOS.   They sure do look pretty though

Wiper arms from a Miata are a direct bolt on and use the more common and secure j-hook end instead of the side pin.

As for the linkage and motor...

The linkage is easily refurbed, the motor is a bigger issue.

I'm preparing to do something with mine (still not sure of the specifics yet) but almost anything is going to require some fab and probably electrical work.

Here's a link to classiczcars.com that might work for you.  Not really easy though.  http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/content/201-honda-wiper-motor-upgrade-240z.html

Another option is Philbin in Portland, OR.  They'll clean up the motor and replace any broken parts for a very reasonable cost.  At least they did for me a few years ago.  http://www.philbingroup.com/

Sweet! I will see what kind of headway I can make with this in the next week, I'd much rather be able to just but regular wipers as opposed to fighting with retrofitting and modifying the stock ones. What size blades should I get btw? I looked up some at O'Reilly for a 260z but the ones they suggested seem too big to me.

Thanks guys

Oh I'm not doing the RB25... I decided against it a couple months ago. I got a lot more fish to fry until I'm ready for any swaps, but I caught one today: 5 speed that was supposedly one of the Nissan refurbished pieces when they resold a few completely redone Zs (in 1998 i belive?) for $125. Not too bad. But I still can't drive in the rain... yet... 

So I took off the front cowl today to take a look around. I took the wiper arms off and I was going to try and see if I could get the motor out but I couldn't quite get the mounting screws, is there any trick to it or just unscrew for days? Also there was no rust in the cowl so that's awesome.

Are the Miata wipers also a single motor with the struts moving both? or do they have individual motors? Ive just never really messed with wipers much before.

On the topic of wiper arms,  The NA miata arms DO fit, but they look a bit goofy

Care to elaborate? I'm working on a single wiper, arm-on-motor conversion and had been looking for an arm compatible with modern blades. I like the thought of having the small spoiler to compensate for the lack of a recessed rest position as well...