HybridZ
Twisted46

JTR SBC Kit Positioning Help

Hi All,

So this past weekend I got the SBC ready to go and in the engine bay.

We had a lot of trouble getting the motor back far enough and still today I am fighting to get the drivers side mount bolt in.

I was able to get the passenger started but the whole motor and trans seems to be shifted and the drivers side refuses to budge back but I can't find anything blocking it. 

Has anyone run in to this issue?

Its a 74' 260z, I will try and get some better pictures tomorrow.

I have gone around the entire firewall area and can't find any contact points.

I am keeping the motor as low and possible when sliding it back but I am at a point where the whole car wants to rock.

I am also keeping the motor as flat as I can to keep the distributor off the wall. headers aren't hitting on anything either. 

Also should have included that I am using a WC T5 and it seems to have plenty of space under the car but the shifter mount is considerably offset to the driver side, to the point that my PRO 5.0 would not clear the shifter hole. 

I am considering starting over but I cringe at the though lol.

TLDR don't do this alone kids. 

Okay and just like that I think I found the Issue.

I have an early 260z and a WC T5.

The JTR book mentions that later cars with a T5 will not need the Transmission mount points on the car cut off.

Well I can see that the tail housing is hitting the passenger side mount and that is keeping the motor from rotating like it needs to.

I will set to work tomorrow and report back with my results.

The T5 is rotated 15 degrees towards the driver's side.  Requires removing a small  amount of sheet metal on the drivers side of the shifter hole.  I also shortened to shifter.  Once all of the trim is in  place you don't notice the 15 degree tilt to the left.

I used the MSA engine-trans swap kit so there may be some differences in shifter location with the JTR kit.

DSCF0559.JPG

SHIFTER AND CONSOLE INSTALLED.JPG

SHIFTER.jpg

T5 SHIFTER BOOT AND CONSOLE.JPG

T5 SHIFTER CLEARENCE.JPG

Okay I got the motor and transmission bolted in, I just needed to get the passenger side transmission mount cut out which was no problem.

I then figured out that the motor mount threads were all junked up (BRAND NEW!) so i had to take them off and tap them back out.

Then wouldn't you know i had the motor bolted in in about 30 minutes.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to check every small and insignificant before installing the motor to make life easier.

I learned the hard way by wasting hours trying to get the mount bolts in. 

On 10/7/2018 at 7:31 AM, Twisted46 said:

Okay I got the motor and transmission bolted in, I just needed to get the passenger side transmission mount cut out which was no problem.

I then figured out that the motor mount threads were all junked up (BRAND NEW!) so i had to take them off and tap them back out.

Then wouldn't you know i had the motor bolted in in about 30 minutes.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to check every small and insignificant before installing the motor to make life easier.

I learned the hard way by wasting hours trying to get the mount bolts in. 

For sure. That is a good lesson worth repeating. Dry fit your parts before install. Screw those fasteners together finger tight, make sure it all fits, before you are on your back wresting a dangling engine. 

Glad you got it all worked out.