HybridZ

2005 Subaru STI LSD

Guest TeamNissan

Guest TeamNissan

Mine just came in the mail. I basicly stole it off ebay for 200, couldnt pass that up. Its a 3.9 r180 "K" helical lsd with snap in 27 spline. I hanvt seen any posts of people doing this so I'll update eventualy and let everyone know how it goes. I'm hoping to either use 2 long or 2 short 27spline 280z cvs with my own adapters. If I'm wrong and anyone has any info on the subject I'd be thankfull. If not then we all will soon enough :-).

Guest TeamNissan
I think you're charting new territory. Good luck and keep us posted! :2thumbs:

Thank you, even though its not going back in the car for a good 2 months while I finish painting I am still going to get everything lined up and bolted/snapped together with travel measurements. Seems viable if it works since not only are they long nose r180's but are actualy much more common then any other helical r180s I have come across. Helical is my fav type :-).

Wait till the 2007 Legacy Turbo Differential (Helical ATB R-200) becomes available in the wrecking yards...

That would be nice if they stuck with the 27 spline input. That would make my conversion easier...

Guest TeamNissan
Wait till the 2007 Legacy Turbo Differential (Helical ATB R-200) becomes available in the wrecking yards...

That would be nice if they stuck with the 27 spline input. That would make my conversion easier...

I dont think they will use a 27 spline on the r200 but we can hope lol.

27 spline count? I thought the R200 used a 29 spline count - that is what all the R200 long noses I have take, the 300zx turbo shafts are 29 spline count? I would only assume the Helical ATB R-200 fitted to the Legacy would be the same as the S15 Helical ATB R-200 center (I know you guys in the US did not get the S15 but we have a lots here in NZ - so it should not be too long before these start to get wrecked) and these ATB R-200 use a 30 spline count on a 31mm shaft. So we need to find a shaft solution for the S15 ATB so the same would apply to the Subi ATB R-200.

Guest TeamNissan
27 spline count? I thought the R200 used a 29 spline count - that is what all the R200 long noses I have take, the 300zx turbo shafts are 29 spline count? I would only assume the Helical ATB R-200 fitted to the Legacy would be the same as the S15 Helical ATB R-200 center (I know you guys in the US did not get the S15 but we have a lots here in NZ - so it should not be too long before these start to get wrecked) and these ATB R-200 use a 30 spline cound on a 31mm shaft. So we need to find a shaft solution for the S15 ATB so the same would apply to the Subi ATB R-200.

Ya they do use a 29 count. I would asume the the diffs would be the same for the leg and s15 seeing as how its the same company and model diff lol. Idk I like the r180's, I dont plan on extreme hp so I dont see the need for a heavier and more complicated (intallation) r200.

• 10 months later...

Any update on this R180 Helical install? ie CV shafts what have you found out. I am thinking of doing something sim on my new 240z (factory R180, the 260z has the R200 in it already so I have done the normal R200 cv conversion stuff) but with the 240z I am thinking I might pickup a Subie R180 and go down this path.

What brand is the Helical R180? I thought all Subie used CLSD or VLSD in the rear with only the newer cars using ATB/Torsen/Helical in the front and centre.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, I think this is possibly my second post I've written on Hybrid. Although I am often on this forum looking to you guys for answers. I've been paying close attention to this thread because around the time that this thread started I too purchased a 2004 Subaru STI differential. In addition to the diff, I also pick up two STI axles.

Before spending any money I made sure that this setup was even remotely possible. Because I planned on using the STI axles with the STI Diff, I knew there were no issues on the axles-to-Diff side, with splines and what not. I also noticed that the input flange on the differential was a different bolt pattern. But that problem was easily resolved by simpley swapping the r200/r180 (from the datsun's) with that of the Subi.

Now there were two big issues that I came across. One: Is that the subaru axles are about 4-6 inches to long. Two: Is that the hub side of the subi axle has splines that go into the STI's wheel hub assembly. And I needed to somehow modify it to a flange.

100_1358.jpg

100_1351.jpg

So...

For the length issue, I thought, there had to be a place that made a shorter center shaft for an STI. Sure enough, the Driveshaft shop make a shorter center shaft for the STI. The stock shafts are 20 1/2". And after measuring and calculating I determined that the ideal length would be 15 1/4" to 15 1/2". As a bonus the shorter center shafts I ordered were made to handle 400 Hp +. Now I'm just running a L30 stroker, so there is no chance I will break them. Oh I should mention the two stronger shorter shafts were about $400. That also includes: 4 New CV boots, 4 Tubes of CV grease, and 12 clamps. (6 small, 6 large).

Here the stock shaft and new shaft are side by side:

100_1374.jpg

100_1376.jpg

For the other issue, the problem with not having a flange. I took the outside axle case and the 280z stub axle flange to a machinist. I told him that I wanted the spline section removed and a flange welded on to match the 280z flange. This was a little difficult because I also wanted a center circle sticking out from the flange to match the inboard circle of the stub axle. It's hard to describe. But to your luck I have photos.

This is the planning:

100_1350.jpg

And this is the outcome, all painted and looking good:

100_1384.jpg

These are the axles in pieces and ready to be assembled:

100_1380.jpg

100_1377.jpg

100_1381.jpg

100_1382.jpg

100_1387.jpg

Well, thats my setup. I'm kicking myself that i didn't take any pictures of it in the car after install. But I just took a picture of them now. It's a little dirty because I've done about 2000 miles on the setup.

100_1451.jpg

Works flawlessly though. The axles fit perfectly so it isn't a pain in the ass to take out, like it was with the z31 axles. But best thing about this setup is that I got Limited Slip, the 3.90:1 gears that I wanted, and both my axles and Differential have less then 20,000 miles on them.

Price wise:

-The 2004 STI LSD differential with 3.90 gears. (16,000 miles) cost me about $400.

-Both the axles (18,000 miles) cost about $250.

-The new center shafts, and boots. etc. cost $400

-Welding/machining on outer CV case cost about $100

-Some POR paint and Redline gear oil. Under $100

Well, I think I marked new territory here. While it cost a little over $1,200. Spending $700-$900 on z31 r200 LSD is sort of ridicules. Considering how many miles there are on a 1987-1989 differential. Maybe a couple of years ago the r200's ran for a lot less than that. But I am very please with my setup. And I would recommend it.

Excellent work and thanks for the pics and update/post. You also have the bonus of less weight in the rear due to the R180 vs R200 so that will be worth a bit and I am sure this centre and axles will be more than strong enough for a lot of the engines we hybridz'er run.

You also have the bonus of less weight in the rear due to the R180 vs R200 so that will be worth a bit and I am sure this centre and axles will be more than strong enough for a lot of the engines we hybridz'er run.
You are correct. So I benefit from using he lighter differential AND because I went to a newer (2004) "K" type r180, the differential is a 4 pinion diff as compare to the older r180's which are 2 pinion.

$100 for machining and welding? That's cheap!
Yeah it was more like $65 for each CV case. And that's also because I've done business with the guy before. I also had my 280z bellhousing machined out to fit my 240sx 5 speed gearbox. I think he charged me $100 alone for that. So in total it was about $220-$240.

I'll wash the car sometime this week and take some good photos of the setup in the car.

You are correct. So I benefit from using he lighter differential AND because I went to a newer (2004) "K" type r180, the differential is a 4 pinion diff as compare to the older r180's which are 2 pinion.

I thought this was a helical diff. If that's the case, it doesn't have typical pinion gears.

Regardless, kudos to you for doing what it takes to get it done. I really like this solution.

Jon...

I too thought this diff was a helical differential. But before I installed the diff, I had the LSD assembly out to set the breakaway torque to about 50-60 Ft/lbs. What I discovered was that it did indeed have 4 pinion gears. (6 total gears)

This is exactly what the Subi LSD pinion gears looked like:

4pinion.jpg

Note: This isn't a photo of the subi LSD. I found it on google, infact it came from the thread you started Jon.

Jon...

I too thought this diff was a helical differential. But before I installed the diff, I had the LSD assembly out to set the breakaway torque to about 50-60 Ft/lbs. What I discovered was that it did indeed have 4 pinion gears. (6 total gears)

This is exactly what the Subi LSD pinion gears looked like:

4pinion.jpg

Note: This isn't a photo of the subi LSD. I found it on google, infact it came from the thread you started Jon.

OK, good to know. For what it's worth, I'd prefer the clutch style anyway.