HybridZ

Crank Shaft Storage 101

Mayolives

I know nothing about this but my feeble mind can't understand how gravity would bend a crank. I can see it falling over if stored on it's end, especially in my cluttered work area.

Cranks definitely do get bent in storage. I think the BEST way to store a crank is in a block with all the mains on. If that can't happen then I like the hanging idea. Don't want that sucker falling over on your toe...

The "hanging" idea is a new one for me and I'll have to give it some thought. Now, when I think about the half up and half down idea from the infinite wisdom bank of Titanium Z, I don't thank that will work. But really, can a crank bend and distort if it was stored lying down, and not in a block? Really???

My crank that I stored lying on its side for several years had to be straightened. The machinist who fixed it told me to store it standing up afterwards, so I did. Can't tell you if the crank was bent before I put it in the garage, but L cranks are not known for their weakness...