HybridZ

The Strut thread - Koni / Illumina / Tokico / Carrera / Bilstein / Ground Control

How do you plan on removing the strut with a press fit?

What do you have against the 0032's and the threaded gland nut anyway? You know the male and female nut come with the 0032's...

From what I've been reading it seems that You're trying to stay away from welding. I'm going to have to agree with Jon and say it would be better to use the gland nut to hold the strut down and hold it in place.

It may seem easier to do now, but in the long run your probably going to end up with failures, and problems servicing the struts.

What do you have against the 0032's [snipped]?

The 36mm Bilsteins have a digressive piston and are better in every respect. The problem is they don't fit in the 240 strut housing, and it will take some figuring to get them into a 280 housing. Using the 36mm pistons is worth doing.

I wonder if this will work without further mods for those of us who have welded the female carrier onto the housing to fit the P30 damper? It would seem to be the case given this

And the fact that the female carrier whose PN is lost somwhere in the preceeding 18 pages I think is M52x1.5 as well?

Obviously a little more reaming out the inside of the carrier like this would be required:

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/medium/step14-file-out-carrier.jpg

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/medium/step14-damper-through-carrier.jpg

Thoughts?

Dave

I checked with Bilstein today. The gland nuts that come with the P30-0032-M0 insert are M50X1.5. To use a 36mm insert with this female nut, you would need these male gland nuts w/ a M50X1.5p thread: E4-B36-816-D1.

I've seen mixed information in this thread regarding the gland nut thread pitch. Does the 280z have M51x1.5 or M52X1.5? All of the post by John Coffey list the M51X1.5. I just want to clarify that this is indeed correct.

Also, I confirmed that the E4-b36-816-B2 is a M52 X 1.5.

Regards,

Justin

Any 240z users that did the P30-0032, if you have some female gland nuts kicking around that came with the inserts. Part number B30-627-B1 is what I'm interested in. I'd like to try these in conjunction with the male gland nut E4-B36-816-D1 for adapting my 36mm bilstein. Please shoot me an email if you have a set you can part with: JustinAOlson at gmail.com

Justin

I'd bet money on it. I've had monoballs with less slop than that that were very easy to hear clunking. If you're using the gland nuts it's a non-issue.

I've had my gland nuts loosen up 1/4 of a turn and you could hear and feel them moving around...

I've had my gland nuts loosen up 1/4 of a turn and you could hear and feel them moving around...

Dang, thats nut much loosening of the gland nut. I didn't realize these cars were so sensitive to the gland nut being tight. You are running a 1.5" insert in a 1.71" strut tube though. That could account for some of it.

The taper on the bottom of the strut housing and the strut held everthing in place when tight, but when the nuts loosened up the strut would move up and and the gland nut rocked. Just a little and you coud hear it. I do have solid heim joints everywhers, so I feel everything. I ended up loctiting them and torquing the crud out of them as they kept coming loose.

Its 52mm. The confusion comes from me by way of Koni where they list it as M51 but its really M52.

Thats great news! Now I can section the strut tubes in the normal process, and use off the shelf gland nuts from Bilstein.

Here are the two M52 X 1.5p gland nuts I've tracked down for the 36mm:

E4-b36-816-B2

B4-B36-U242-B2

Another conversion with Keith at Bilstein. The cap on the bottom of these inserts is pressed in. You can carefully remove it with a chisel. Once it is removed, you gain access to the internal bumpstop without depressurizing the strut. I will post pictures shortly.

Also, the factory piston in these are digressive. They can be swapped out to linear pistons at no charge when they are revalved. Now to figure out the damn valving with a digressive piston...

Also depends on aero loading. Digressive valving can help control pitch by keeping the aero platform level when there's a lot of downforce and a bump is hit. You can build an aggressive nose on the bump curve to control the downforce and then blow off when a bump is encounterred.