HybridZ

The Strut thread - Koni / Illumina / Tokico / Carrera / Bilstein / Ground Control

So I received my parts from Ground Control along with these two diagrams related to the strut installation. The first is a diagram of what needs to be relieved to fit the allow for the articulation of the strut. In looking at this, I think it's going to be an hour or so worth of work with a die grinder for the set of 4. Not a big deal, and it's not cosmetic either so it doesn't need to be neat.

The other sheet deals with the nut that holds the strut at the top. Bilstein apparently uses a couple nuts which are too large and the hex part of the nut hits the camber plate before it contacts the monoball. My Bilsteins came with 22mm nuts, so I guess I'll be grinding on them as well.

bilsteinstruttopmod.jpg

bilsteinnutmod.jpg

I haven't seen a mag lug nut with a 5/8" shank with a 14mm thread. If you could find one it would work but I don't think they exist.

EDIT--Actually you still need to space the shaft down so that the thick part of the shaft can articulate, so you'd still need the spacer on the bottom.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the revalved Bilsteins from shox.com (280 strut app) and the gland nuts have turned into a fiasco. I don’t recall seeing the 280 part number here and only supplied them with the diameter and thread(52x1.5mm). When I received the struts they supplied some female thread ones not even close, DON’T USE PART # E4-B30-627B1! To make matters worse, shox.com is refusing to cover shipping charges for the incorrect parts THEY provided citing Bilstien as the culprit. From my perspective that’s their responsibility, not mine. They finally agreed to ship the replacements (no part # yet) if I would ship back the incorrect ones on my dime. They’re also threating a 20% restock charge for the seals. I’m assuming I can use the same ones from the incorrect nuts, does anyone have the seal part #? They supplied me with E4-B30-626A, I assume or hope they’re somewhat universal.

As for the camber plates, I have GC’s too and have yet to compare them…doesn’t sound promising. The strut spacers have me scratching me head a bit. It appears they would have to be specially machined with a collar or cradle for the strut to rest in. Anyone have pics of theirs?

I'm guessing the nuts you got were the VW nuts. I got them along with the others that I ordered. I think the nuts that I got the first time, the B30-629 Q1 "MIGHT" have been the right ones. If you call Bilstein they should be able to tell you what would work based on the size of the threads and pitch AND THE THREADS ON THE OUTSIDE. Sounds like shox.com are a bit hard to deal with. Bad customer service is a bummer.

For spacers I was just going to use a piece of 1.5" x .095 DOM tube I have lying around. The bottom of the strut is tapered so I would think it would self center. If that doesn't work, I'll weld a flat plate or a washer on top of the 1.5" tube.

I'm guessing the nuts you got were the VW nuts. I got them along with the others that I ordered. I think the nuts that I got the first time, the B30-629 Q1 "MIGHT" have been the right ones. If you call Bilstein they should be able to tell you what would work based on the size of the threads and pitch AND THE THREADS ON THE OUTSIDE. Sounds like shox.com are a bit hard to deal with. Bad customer service is a bummer.

For spacers I was just going to use a piece of 1.5" x .095 DOM tube I have lying around. The bottom of the strut is tapered so I would think it would self center. If that doesn't work, I'll weld a flat plate or a washer on top of the 1.5" tube.

Thanks for quick reply Jon. Weird, the part # on the famale nut corresponds with the ones they special ordered for me. There were also male thread nuts supplied, i assumed those were the original VW ones. I'll measure them tonight and see if they're the same you mentioned, B30-629 Q1.

I did call Bilstein in an attempt to resolve and recived a "I'm only a salesman" reply from Mike, the account owner for Shox.com. He said it goes through liason back to Germany and I'd be better off going through Shox...

I realize the bottom of the shock has a taper but it's fairly shallow and am still a bit skeptical. After some thought the tubing you mentioned would work well with perhaps an additional larger OD sleeve stitch welded to it for good measure.

EDIT: eagerly waiting for a seal part # if anyone can provide it.

I checked the 'other' gland nuts previously mentioned, which also came with the Bilsteins, I still beleive they're for a VW app, but anyway they are the same part # Jon mentioned (B30-629 Q1) and are a no-go. I measured these at 50mm x 1.5 and test fit them with a spare 280 strut just to make sure I wasn't loosing it.

I checked the 'other' gland nuts previously mentioned, which also came with the Bilsteins, I still beleive they're for a VW app, but anyway they are the same part # Jon mentioned (B30-629 Q1) and are a no-go. I measured these at 50mm x 1.5 and test fit them with a spare 280 strut just to make sure I wasn't loosing it.

I am fighting this same battle right now. I have 240 struts on the front, and 280's on the rear. I ordered the B30-629-Q1 gland nuts for the rears, but they are too small. I talked to John Williams in Atlanta a couple of days ago, and he remembered that he had to actually fabricate gland nuts for 280 struts in this same situation. He ended up using 280 gland nuts from Tokico and opening up the center hole to match the inside diameter of the threaded part. He then put a Bilstein gland nut on the lathe and turned it down to match the new I.D. on the Tokico gland nut, removing the threads a part of the cap portion. Finally, what remained of the Bilstein gland nut was Tig welded into the hole in the top of the Tokico gland nut. He cautioned that this had to be done extremely carefully so as not to damage the O-ring seal. He said it amounted to very quick spot welding, then cooling everything down with water or something like that.

I have not yet tried this. I am weighing this against shortening some rear strut assemblies from a 240, and bolting 280 backing plates to the hubs so I can use the dual-piston drum brake cylinders. John also said the beafier 280 stub axles will work in the 240 hubs. Does anyone know if the 280 backing plates will bolt up to 240 hubs?

Here's the contact informaiton for the smart guys at Bilstein:

AFTERMARKET & MOTORSPORTS

HEADQUARTERS - WEST

14102 Stowe Drive

Poway, CA. 92064

1-858-386-5900

Ask for Jack.

Jack does not work there anymore. The new guy is Ramone. He was not there when I called; will try again tomorrow.

Jack does not work there anymore. The new guy is Ramone. He was not there when I called; will try again tomorrow.

I still haven't given up with Mike, he's been forwarding my emails to their German tech department. We have found a gland nut with the correct OD and threads, but preliminary reports show an entirely different seal which leads me to beleive they're not for the same type strut, still awaiting for confirmation.

240zdave, perhaps you could bounce this part # off Ramone: e4-b36-816b2

I still haven't given up with Mike, he's been forwarding my emails to their German tech department. We have found a gland nut with the correct OD and threads, but preliminary reports show an entirely different seal which leads me to beleive they're not for the same type strut, still awaiting for confirmation.

240zdave, perhaps you could bounce this part # off Ramone: e4-b36-816b2

I'll ask him, but judging by the "b36" portion of the part number, they are made to fit 36 mm Bilstein monotubes. The F4-P030-0032-MO strut inserts are 30 mm in diameter.

• 3 weeks later...
preith,

Any luck?

Dave

Unfortunately no. 240zDave called the B36 diameter correctly..that was a DOH moment when I read it, and shox shipped them out before I could tell them not to. I've given up and bought a complete set of early struts from zbarn.

I'm frankly speechless with the lack of competence at Bilstein's German tech department. I had the b30 strut part number in the email too...

Unfortunately it appears as long as you want Bilsteins you're SOL. Any gland nuts will have to be fabricated/modified as eluded to by 240dave.

Another option may be use strut tubes from a 240 for the top half of the shortened 280 strut assemblies. The guy who is going to do the welding for me says he can do it, in spite of the difference in diameters. This would allow me to use the beefier 280 hubs AND the Bilsteins with the 240 gland nuts. I will have to buy a new set of threaded collars, since the 280 collars will be too large.