HybridZ

Why the lack of love?

WV75Z

im just gonna say that rear window defrosters and power windows ROCK !!!!!!

because some people actually DD their car...

and about the looks of the s130... the car was headed into the 80's... cars that entered that decade were given a box shape that was popular

and any way we are talking about two completely different cars where the only thing shared between them was the engine, so in that logic i have the next comparison....

81Dats810-Frt_LH-504px.jpg

30-datsun-240z.jpg

oh forgot one thing, TOP END ROCKS!!!! GET SOME S30 OWNERS!!!! lol jk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1850#? 840Kg???

Show me the weight slip on that one. Even with Hydrogen in the tyres, you're not getting a 260Z that light and still have it on the street.

I second the B.S. Claim.

Especially since, like Frank said, I weighed my trailer empty, I weighed my trailer with my 260Z in it, and I weighed my trailer with Franks 79 280ZX in it, all within the span of a few days. The weight tickets are in the glovebox of my dually, but I'm thinking there was a difference in weight of less than 300# between the configurations.

And that was verified against the 'empty weight' that I did when I bought the trailer.

Maybe the guy is smoking crack, and was floating up against the roof for negative bouyancy while on the scales????

I still can't stand stand when people say, [and it happens ALL the time]:

Them: "Hey is that a Z car?"

Me: "Yep. It's a 280Z."

Them: "I have/had a car just like yours"

Me: "Is it a 280Z or 280ZX?"

Them: "Yeah its a 280ZX"

Me [To myself]: FFFFUUUU

I'm right there with you. Almost every day I drive my 260 someone has to say "I used to have one just like that...mine was a 82' 280zx". I am forced to respond with "280zx? That car is no where close to comparison to my car. The two are more like cousins than anything else". But I'm an ass like that.

I'm right there with you. Almost every day I drive my 260 someone has to say "I used to have one just like that...mine was a 82' 280zx". I am forced to respond with "280zx? That car is no where close to comparison to my car. The two are more like cousins than anything else". But I'm an ass like that.

Yeah... Still waiting on that scale slip.

then the guy rolls up in a 280zxt and blows that slow ass s30...

sorry for the language

On the weight thing, friend of mine has a hybrid 260Z with a RB30ET donk, my hybrid S130 two seater has a VG30DET in it. Similar specs otherwise eg both have half cages, and guess what? They both weigh the same, 1240kg.

Having previously built a hybrid S30 my preference is the S130. The body is stronger, aero is better and with a nose change and decent wheels it looks better, particularly around the side glass area where I think the S30 looks antique, compared with the rest of the car.

Quite simply I would never go back to a S30.

I have to say you are very good in ignoring the fact we cal BS on your weight claim...

Really to me your are full of it.... ~1850 ... NO WAY !!!!!

lets forget the fact you simply know jackshit about the s130 (hence the 'shock vs strut ')

I have to say you are very good in ignoring the fact we cal BS on your weight claim...

lets forget the fact you simply know jackshit about the s130 (hence the 'shock vs strut ')

...But, really, Frank... He is giving us the answer to the question originally posted... why the lack of love?? Widespread "Bliss."

Ill dig up the scales report before and after the boat trip from New York to Amsterdam. i used to have em here in my photo album. But i cant seem to find those anymore.

Next to that i think mister D (tonyD) can tell you how 'heavy' a zx is .. as he could not believe the trailer was lighter with my car in it compared to a 260z.

Now comes the claimed weight...

With all due respect i do not believe 1850.. that is under FIA weight.... so either all parts are 'plastic' or i would like to raise the BS flag on.

(get that scale checked as it is of !!)

Anything under 2000 is very hard, and judging from the signature pic your car does not seem to be prepped that thoroughly. AND you added a full cage!

Though i might have missed something. ( FG doors hatch hood fenders ? lexan windows ? or do you still run glass, or did your car rot away so there is no metal left :P )

And i have seen early (69) cars in my friends pro shop that even the bolts that hold the fenders cut to length to save weight etc etc

struggling to get around 2000 lbs ( hence this is with a full cage).

As for my ZX I’m looking to hit the 2200 LBS marker using a full FG hood fenders and cut doors stripped and gutted as far as i can go within in the rules.

The lack of love .. because most people take the easy (cheap) route and go for the more aftermarket support and no smog BS to take into account.

In Japan you see loads o very nicely prepped s130 pulling as much if not more attention than the early cars ....

On the other hand let your riding do the talking on the track a well prepped ZX will blow the doors of a same class well prepped s30 ... History proofed that aswel.

However Like stated before i appreciate a well prepped z aswel ( or any car for that matter)

Personally i just like the zx better.. all a matter of taste i guess.. A mistake ? hmm it was the best selling Z car... must be a big mistake they made there .. making profit on a product you’d like to sell :P

Next to that before you start the BS on the rear 'shocks' on a s130 you should maybe crawl under one ... I think you mixed up the z31 with a s130 there!

I have to run now as i need to find my aviators and play some Maimi Vice tunes and get my suit that looks like this:

04-723515.jpg

and do some coke runs :P

My car is almost full fiberglass with lexan windows (minus the windshield). Not to mention every "extra" part the car didn't need (ac, interior panels, wiring, etc) has been removed. I think the scales at the truck weigh stations are pretty accurate but I am sure their is a little bit of give or take. BTW, the cage didn't add that much weight, the wiring removed weighed about the same.

I don't care to know anything about a car that is only good for the 5 speed tranny and the turbo option. I just pull parts from the many I run into at the junk yards.

Just to make you feel better Frank, my car weighed in at 1927 lbs back in 2006. Since then, I have shaved an estimated 70-75 lbs.

Think what you want my friend. I prefer to know.

My car is almost full fiberglass with lexan windows (minus the windshield). Not to mention every "extra" part the car didn't need (ac, interior panels, wiring, etc) has been removed. I think the scales at the truck weigh stations are pretty accurate but I am sure their is a little bit of give or take. BTW, the cage didn't add that much weight, the wiring removed weighed about the same.

Sounds ricey to me. :flamedevi

Please stop talking about your sub-ton car until you have 'evidence' to prove that this car exists as you say it does.

Do you cry when stock LS1s beat you after you've done all that work?

Guest Rolling Parts
Why the lack of love for the 280zx's especially the turbo? Why are they always donor cars and less often restored?

!

I have both.

The ZX is a stellar daily driver, A/C, huge gas tank, room for 2x4's and still close the hatch. I even have a trailer hitch. Very stable at highway speeds. A good car and still a lot of fun.

The 240Z is more fun on weekends and car shows. No A/C, poor lights, fragile structure, arcane carbs but a blast to drive just for the fun of it.

People LOVE the 240Z, people just DRIVE the 280ZX.

YMMV.

on a side note i think the only thing that really kept me out of the seat of a S30 was cabin space. i am a big guy (6'5) and leg room is my first priority, also i do not like 2+2 Z's or ZX's. they just look streched out to much, but thats my opinion. thats why i love my coupe .....yeah me!

I am also 6'5". I can fit in the S30's for about 2 hours of driving before my back starts hurting because I have to slouch for head space. This is the deciding reason I got another s130 instead of an S30.

That being said I have a decent amount of driving time in s30's (dad has one) and the handling feel between that and my last '79 280zx w/o AC, with manual rack and pinion is noticeable. The s30 has superior "flickability," or quicker weight transition due to slightly lower weight. The s130 can also be thrown through corners pretty easily as well. The better suspension geometry gives more in-corner stability. The aerodynamic differences make a big difference though. A stock S30 feels damn scary around 100mph with front end lift. The s130 feels much better at those speeds and has more high-speed stability.

Some other Hybridz member found this and I copied his post. Stupidly I forgot his handle.

I have a book that came from dealerships when they were first introducing the ZX.

It mentions extensive wind tunnel testing and explains the Cd (drag coefficient) went from 0.467 for the S30 down to ~0.385. Clf (lift coefficient) went from 0.41 to 0.11 and Cmv (yaw coefficient' date=' how well it handles side-winds) went from 0.10 to 0.04.

As far as an engine-swapped track car as an end goal, I think the improved aero, better suspension geometry, and stiffer frame on the S130 could give a more confident ride resulting in more consistent lap times. The S30 has an immediate power/weight advantage in this scenario though.

To each his own, really.

Just to make you feel better Frank, my car weighed in at 1927 lbs back in 2006. Since then, I have shaved an estimated 70-75 lbs.

Think what you want my friend. I prefer to know.

I really don’t feel for a flame war, and i love to put my track zx next tor your 'sub zero car' on the same scale.. and im sure they would weigh the same ..

Great btw .. that an s30 apparently has a good 75LBS of wiring you can remove and still be street legal (your car is right so you have to run wires at least to lights) because any cage that is half serious ( witch yours should be as you refer to a full cage) weighs at least 75 LBS.

Anyhow before you go on with you jabbering how you are an ass, an nobody has anything on your z blah blah .. maybe you should put at least some reason to your talk.. You say you have fiberglass everything.

But if I search your name you are very recently posting that still looking for doors and hatches (have them already )

To go in your style.. and this has nothing to do with ‘the lack of love, or it being an s30 vs a s130 .. but I seriously doubt your accurate on your facts ( i.e. your full of it)

Or you have cut so much out of it you don’t even run floor pans anymore…

i preffer to know aswel!

Anyway good luck with it .. id take you on a any course with my heavy lumb any time