HybridZ

Utility Vehicle - Haulin' parts

xonix_digital

Moby Van: White Chevrolet G30 Cargo Van, no windows. Amazing what they can carry, 2 L28ETs, 5 FS5C71B Tranny's, Two People, and a complete array od test and diagnostic equipment for Atlas Copco Dry Screw Compressors...

Not only can you haul parts, you can cavort around preschools and highschools looking for victims in total anonomyity...

Kinda like this, but less obvious:

free_candy_van.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't haul an engine in a van or SUV if I could possibly avoid it. If you get in an accident you're likely to be killed by your engine. I'd get a pickup. Should be pretty easy to find an old pickup for a good price. Japanese truck if you aren't carrying a lot at a time, if you are, then an full size American truck should do nicely. Nice thing about a full size is you can tow a car too if needed. Yes, you can do it with a small truck too, but in my experience it's a lot less strain on a GMC 1500 than a Toyota Hilux.

I have hauled an engine in a 1983 Maxima. 4 little bolts and trunk lid comes off. Engine goes in. Engine hoist folded up in backseat!

I have also hauled a Chevy 3.1v6 engine in a 1980 Datsun 280zx. 4 little bolts and hatch comes off. Engine goes on an old tire (no rim)... you get the idea!

Of course it would've been much easier with a small pickup.. Only thing I can say about using an SUV or van is that it is more difficult to put engine in sometimes. The two times I bought complete engines at the junkyard, a huge bulldozer with a chain on one of the hooks picked the engine up and set it down in my trunk/hatch. To do it in an SUV or van would've probably required a forklift, which they didn't have.

2wd Dodge 1994-1998 with 12 valve Cummins will get over 20 mpg with a few mods and have tons of power more than the other little pick ups people mentioned. Most 4 cylinder pick ups do not get that great of fuel mileage and do not tow well.

Oh yea, it will last forever and sounds awesome.

A Pickup can have an unsecured engine come through the back window just as easily as an unsecured engine can roll around in a van. At leas the engine will hit the base of your seats, instead of being valuted to the back of your head.

Seriously, if we're using Darwin Award Contestants as our models of propriety for parts hauling, then they shouldn't buy anything and leave the car work to prefessionals.

Most Cargo Vans are sold these days with heavy steel or mesh partitions for 'work vehicles'---more of them I see than trucks with a protective covering over that 'whack da back o my haid winder'...

Besides, you can fit more in the van, I had close to 13 feet of laydown room in the back. Ain't gettin' that in no pickem up truck! Plus, when you're in the junkyard, nobody can see whats inside...

Having had $10,000 of tools ripped off makes you cognisant that something without windows and a steel partition preventing ingress from the passenger's compartment just might be a good thing...

Anybody here had stuff go missing from your truck bed while parked at the junkyard? (Raises Hand)

I'd love to have a spare pick up laying around for the odd job, but space, insurance, fuel etc just does not make it practical enough for "odd jobs"

Another idea is to buy a smallER fuel efficent "cool car" to daily drive, and put a hitch on it. Get/build a small utility trailer, that you trash all you want with car parts, junk, yard waste etc. Solves the loading issues (Johns loader idea is pretty good too).

Keep the wife happy with a clean car, and save the mess for the trailer. Even a small 4cyl car can tow a small trailer with a driveline sitting on it. (secured properly as Challenger says)

Something to consider.

I'd love to have a spare pick up laying around for the odd job, but space, insurance, fuel etc just does not make it practical enough for "odd jobs"

Another idea is to buy a smallER fuel efficent "cool car" to daily drive, and put a hitch on it. Get/build a small utility trailer, that you trash all you want with car parts, junk, yard waste etc. Solves the loading issues (Johns loader idea is pretty good too).

Keep the wife happy with a clean car, and save the mess for the trailer. Even a small 4cyl car can tow a small trailer with a driveline sitting on it. (secured properly as Challenger says)

Something to consider.

That's a good point! Maybe I should get a more capable Daily Driver and get/build a parts hauling trailer!

Hrrmmmmm...

You think you can tow a driveline in a trailer with a 300zx? :D

All this talk of engines flying around could easily be solved by simply securing them. Properly.

That was kind of my point...

"If we are going to use Darwin Participants as the basis for deciding what parts hauler to buy, maybe they shouldn't be installing their own parts!"

:mrgreen:

so a small utility trailer with a small crane?

Truthfully, I have a smaller "Harbor Freight" trailer, the 1/2 sheet size one...

Diamond plate over a double 3/4" plywood deck and an 1100# capacity. It easily tows behind the Z, and I've taken it across country at illegal speeds (12" wheel version!)

I put tie downs on it, and I can fit two engines (L28) on it, and strap them down tightly. It's actually pretty darned handy when I got to go to work and don't feel like burning 10 gallons of gas to get there and back just to stop by the yard and pick up the odd engine or tranny. Keeps it out of the back of the Z and I get 4X the fuel economy!

But it won't load up for the 'big half-price day weekend parts buying extravaganza" like the old Moby the Molester Van did!:shock:

Late 80s, My favorite was my 72 Toyota Hilux. Drove 200K with the 4 and then had some fun. Next round it had a cammed, Holley manifold, 600dp, 4.3 V6 and a 700r4. The super low 1st gear, 3.06 + 4.11s out back even allowed me to do tow a trailer + john Deer skid loader. (Really not smart with a mini truck, but.. :) Many a V8 engine or misc. parts would be taken from here to there. Really a sleeper, 4X4 wood bumper and plenty of rust in its final years. mid 20s mpg. I drove it in the Hybrid configuration for 150K+ trouble free miles.

Looked alot like this except I had matching ugly rims and slapper bars on the rear leafs

33118620019_medium.jpg

Late 80s, My favorite was my 72 Toyota Hilux. Drove 200K with the 4 and then had some fun. Next round it had a cammed, Holley manifold, 600dp, 4.3 V6 and a 700r4. The super low 1st gear, 3.06 + 4.11s out back even allowed me to do tow a trailer + john Deer skid loader. (Really not smart with a mini truck, but.. :) Many a V8 engine or misc. parts would be taken from here to there. Really a sleeper, 4X4 wood bumper and plenty of rust in its final years. mid 20s mpg. I drove it in the Hybrid configuration for 150K+ trouble free miles.

Looked alot like this except I had matching ugly rims and slapper bars on the rear leafs

33118620019_medium.jpg

TOO COOL! :mrgreen:

Tony: Do you tow the Harbor Freight trailer behind an s30?? Got a link?