HybridZ

Stance has made coilovers for us.

So after shooting major blanks on trying to find anyone who makes lower mounts, I decided to shoot Stance an email to ask them about their lower mounts and see if the fronts are steel and if they could just send me 4 front steel ones if they were, and send them along with one of their coilovers sets. Here's the email word by word so far....

Hello, I'm interested in purchasing a set of your GR+ coilovers with a S13 application to modify to fit a 240Z. However I have a few questions I have to know to determine if they'll work with what I need. Are the lower mounts on the front coilovers steel or aluminum? Also could you please provide me with the measurement with the inside diameter on the lower mounts for the fronts? Basically I need the front mounts to be steel and have roughly 2 inches of inside diameter to be able to make them work with the 240Z's forged shock tube design. If they do fit, I'd need 2 extra front lower mounts to replaced the rear lower mounts, granted that all 4 corners have the same inside diameters. Look forward to hearing your response, thank you.

Hi,

We have just developed a special DIY weld-on tube for spindle type cars

to use our dampers.

I will send you pictures and dimensions shortly.

Thanks

Wow! Thanks extremely great news. Looking forward to see what you guys got worked up. If you don't mind I can share that with some of the other Z guys on one of the forums I frequent once I get some more info. Thanks.

Hi,

The tube is about 6inches tall. Bottom opening is 2inches (ID). This tube will fit our GR+, AL+ dampers. It is made of steel.

MSRP is $229/pair

Thank you

Amazing, is there a possibility of ordering a set a GR+ with these tubes replacing the front and rear the lower mounts since I wouldn't be able to use the traditional lower mounts that come on the S13 assemblies? If so, would it also be possible to order a set without the front camber plates?

If any of this is possible, please give me a price with the following options so I can place an order. Thanks so much.

Lastly, here's a picture of the tube and their coilovers.

zkhk6c.jpg

23r8kkg.jpg

This is amazing news for me, Stance's reputation has been building like a rocket in terms of performance and quality. I'd take these any day over Megan's. hopefully we can order coilovers with all 4 tubes to replace the lower mounts that come with S13's and keep the cost reasonable.

Edited by LoneStarS30Z

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their units usually come with camber plates regardless. So hopefully they can cut the cost down and make it possible to buy their units with just the tubes and not make me buy the lower mounts that won't work. Perhaps it'll still be $1200ish, one can only hope!

Stance coilovers are very good! I've used them on my 240sx and couldnt have been happier with them. I'm also using them on my Z. They're great quality and dont break the bank! Their coilovers range from about $1100 to $3600 depending on who you go to and exactly which coilovers you choose. GR+ Pro's are about $1200, and their most expensive are the GR+ 3 Way which appear to be new. I'm going with 240zdan's coilover adapter kit with the Stance's.

http://stance-usa.com/sus/products/coilovers

Edited by iHeartTouge

I spoke to a tech back in Feb of this year, and supposedly they were going to make a bolt in camber plate. They also stated they were going to use re-valved S13 units, and not just sell S13 coilovers with the weldable sleeves. I am going to give them a call tomorrow, and see what they are going to do about the camber plates.

Sorry guys I don't really get all this.

Why is there so many people looking for this type of setup - when Dave from AZC has a setup/solution already? Either way there is fabrication involved like most coilover setup's in our 40+ old designed cars.

Now having said that - it is just me but if you look at the Stance inverted shock and then look at the shock that comes with AZC kit do they not look the same? Could this be why Stance has the Steel weld on tubes that when looking at them also look very close the units with the AZC setup?

Look Dave did all the R&D on his setup and it a good kit that is well priced comes with camber plates (ok weld in - so maybe for those that don't want to weld in a camber plate work on Dave and see if a different solution can be sorted)

I see figures of $1100-3000 in the above posts as Stance pricing. The GR+ Pro for $1200. AZC $1600 not much more for something already proven and who knows might be Stance units from the look, and is sold for our suspension already, no need to purchase S13 stuff, remove the bits that aren't required and add the steel tubes to the cost - why not just get the AZC kit?

Or am I off base with all of this?

The only reason I'd consider Stance over the AZC is price alone IF they will sell their coilovers with the conversion tubes in place of the S13's lower mounts.

I agree it'll be useless to buy the kit plus the tubes to replace hardware I have no use for because then the total price would be more than AZC's set up. Stance products are every bit if not more (considering the range of applications) proven as the AZC kits. I've yet to hear someone knock Stance's performance and quality. Another one BIG contributer is the fact that you can find a good condition used set for less than $1000. I plan to go with a new set, but if a good deal came along on some used ones I wouldn't hesitate to jump on them.

Either way I'll never have Megan's touch my car and I'm not too much a fan of GC set up, whether it be out of ignorance or not, I just like the idea of a coilover being manufactured together rather piecing together parts.

So I'm not knocking Dave's set up, but $400 is $400 I can make good use of and put elsewhere. The Stance's come with camber plates too.

I believe Iheartogue meant to say $1200-$1600, $3600 is way too ridiculous lol.

And btw carjway make sure to let us know what they say about the bolt in camber plates. I have no idea how they'll pull it off, but that'll be too sweet. If you call em ask them about replacing the lower mounts with the conversion tubes too! I sill haven't gotten an email back from them yet.

Edited by LoneStarS30Z

I believe Iheartogue meant to say $1200-$1600, $3600 is way too ridiculous lol.

Looks like they have a new coilover line called GR+ 3 Way. I didnt really read into them, but they are $3600. I could never justify spending that much!

I've never heard anyone say they werent satisfied with Stance's or AZC's products. I'd love to have either set up, but I know Stance's so thats what I'm going with. Any confirmation from Stance if the tubes come with camber plates?

I've yet to hear someone knock Stance's performance and quality.

That's nice, but some plots from a shock dyno from several different units, and seeing if the adjustments worked the same way on all of those units would be required to make a believer out of me. Given that info I'd be excited as hell about something like this. Unfortunately you can dig up posts from people talking up all kinds of crappy mods because the owners just put them on and are excited about the new part. Without some proof, I'll remain skeptical.

Good, skeptical, critical thinking type shock info here:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

That's nice, but some plots from a shock dyno from several different units, and seeing if the adjustments worked the same way on all of those units would be required to make a believer out of me. Given that info I'd be excited as hell about something like this. Unfortunately you can dig up posts from people talking up all kinds of crappy mods because the owners just put them on and are excited about the new part. Without some proof, I'll remain skeptical.

Good, skeptical, critical thinking type shock info here:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Understandable, I'll take a poke around and see if anyone's done any tasting on them.

Also the S13 versions come with front camber plates, as for the rear I don't think they do.

Go on Z31performance alot of people have been using stance coilovers with serial 9 adaptors for some time now with great results.

Found it. Man they $260 for theirs though. Doesn't say if its a pair or for 4.

Edited by LoneStarS30Z

Go on Z31performance alot of people have been using stance coilovers with serial 9 adaptors for some time now with great results.

THE most important performance thing Stance sells are the shocks. The springs, threaded tubes, camber plates, etc. are basic mechanical devices that are well understood and easy to make right. What makes their product good is the quality of the shock. What Jon alludes to above is that A LOT of low dollar aftermarket "coil over" kit builders scrimp on the shocks.

The valving is inconsistent from shock-to-shock and the range of adjustment is not the same from shock-to-shock. In essence you're installing four completely different shocks on your car. For some folks, that's completely acceptable and they probably won't ever notice the difference. Just putting new shocks of any kind on their car is a huge improvement over the blown out originals.

Stance appears to be a step above these low dollar product companies and at least they have customers out racing. Hopefully Stance is learning from the racers and improving their products.