HybridZ

Datsun/Nissan final gears

New 2 z

79ZX 2+2, 74 260 2+2, that's about it. You can buy aftermarket gears from OS Giken and I think they have a 3.15, but the gears are very expensive. If you're looking for other suggestions, I'd really like to see someone do a Ford 8.8 IRS diff, and you can get 3.08 and 3.27 gears from my business www.m2differentials.com, among others. I don't know anyone who has done the F8.8 swap, but there are lots of limited slips and locker options and gear options, just need to figure out how to mount the sucker and get the CV's adapted. Probably easiest to use a custom splined shaft made that fits the Ford inner and a Z31T or S130T outer and use MM's adapters.

Some of the 1979 280Zx's came with a 3.36 R180 or R200, according to the FSM. The 240Z's came with 3.36 R180s.

the 240Z's actually came with 3.36 gears? is this proven? I've read a lot of back and forth jibberish just wanna double check and make sure.

79ZX 2+2, 74 260 2+2, that's about it. You can buy aftermarket gears from OS Giken and I think they have a 3.15, but the gears are very expensive. If you're looking for other suggestions, I'd really like to see someone do a Ford 8.8 IRS diff, and you can get 3.08 and 3.27 gears from my business www.m2differentials.com, among others. I don't know anyone who has done the F8.8 swap, but there are lots of limited slips and locker options and gear options, just need to figure out how to mount the sucker and get the CV's adapted. Probably easiest to use a custom splined shaft made that fits the Ford inner and a Z31T or S130T outer and use MM's adapters.

look up Ceaser Febus he has done the ford 8 rear end swap. he has a 1,200hp VG30ET i believe not certain.

Edited by New 2 z

Here's a print from the 1973 FSM, Propeller Shaft and Differential Carrier chapter. I think that the R200 was introduced with the 280Z in 1975, so the 260Z has the 3.36 R180 also. This is for the cars with manual transmissions, automatics got 3.54 (as shown in the attached). I'm no expert, I just read a lot...

post-8864-012532000 1305825260_thumb.jpg

look up Ceaser Febus he has done the ford 8 rear end swap. he has a 1,200hp VG30ET i believe not certain.

I will do that! Thanks for the lead.

NewZed, the 74 260 2+2 had an R200 with 3.36's. Search it, you'll see that I'm right, regardless of what the FSM says.

I didn't mean to contradict your post, it's vague grammar on my part. I was just showing the R180 possibility for 3.36 gears. They might be easier to find.

Apparently the FSMs don't document everything that was possible on these cars.

I pulled the R180 diff out of my '73 240 and it has the 3.36 ratio r&p. The car was an original 4 speed and the manual I have for it says it is supposed to have a 3.54. But there should be no shortages of 3.36 out of the R180.