HybridZ

Resistance was futile, I was assimilated - joining the ranks

I've been thinking about doing this swap for 2 to 3 years now but never really moved on it. After my little incident installing my worked head on my L28ET, I snapped. I could not believe how much money I had in that setup, enough to fully fund my LS1 swap. :)

I just picked up a complete 1998 LS1 and 4L60E from a Camaro SS with 80k miles for $2500 + shipping. It comes with all sensors, PCM, maf, harness, etc., a complete drop out. JTR headers and JCI mounts & driveshaft will be ordered on Monday. I've been researching this swap for a while now and am rather excited.

I hope to have it running by the end of July.

Man, I should have done this 2 years ago.....

I've been thinking about doing this swap for 2 to 3 years now but never really moved on it. After my little incident installing my worked head on my L28ET, I snapped. I could not believe how much money I had in that setup, enough to fully fund my LS1 swap. :)

I just picked up a complete 1998 LS1 and 4L60E from a Camaro SS with 80k miles for $2500 + shipping. It comes with all sensors, PCM, maf, harness, etc., a complete drop out. JTR headers and JCI mounts & driveshaft will be ordered on Monday. I've been researching this swap for a while now and am rather excited.

I hope to have it running by the end of July.

Man, I should have done this 2 years ago.....

KTM: Thank you for spelling out the TRUTH. Hopefully the other folks on this forum will read this post and take heed. As long as money is being put into the drive train of a 240, 260 or 280Z, the best bang for the buck without a doubt is the Small Block Chevrolet (SBC) V8 engine. Several GM transmissions fit behind the SBC V8's. The other concerns are what the car is going to be used i.e. race, drag or street. The SBC can be modified to output 500+ HP normally aspirated. With turbos or superchargers 800 to 1000 HP can be achieved WITHOUT winding it up to 8000 RPM. Overhead cam engines just have more moving parts to fail versus well proven push-rod engine with a lesser amount of moving parts.

Overhead cam engines just have more moving parts to fail versus well proven push-rod engine with a lesser amount of moving parts.

Good luck KTM on the decision.

Rsicard, can you explain the less moving parts logic to me. I don't get that statement at all? V8's have, 2 more cylinders, 4 more valves, 4 more rockers, 4 more push rods. They both have timing chains.

Good luck KTM on the decision.

Rsicard, can you explain the less moving parts logic to me. I don't get that statement at all? V8's have, 2 more cylinders, 4 more valves, 4 more rockers, 4 more push rods. They both have timing chains.

Or gear drives!

Happy days are here! The engine was delivered with no apparent damage either. I got the JCI mounting kit in the mail yesterday and JTR's ceramic coated headers on Friday. I've been loving Summit loooong time lately as well. The Corvette fuel filter arrived along with the Russell push-on EFI AN adapters for the filter and rail, HP Tuners will arrive by Friday as will my B&M Stealth Proratchet shifter (yes I know you cannot manually shift the 4L60E), Transgo HD2 kit, B&M trans cooler, TCI finned trans pan with plug, and B&M remote trans filter.

My stainless steel tubing will arrive Friday as well. I am replumbing my old SS braided lines to SS tubing. I plan on having the engine in the car by the end of June and running by the end of July.

post-1734-076521200 1306949168_thumb.jpg

post-1734-036894400 1306949173_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Happy days are here!

Congrats. That'll be a hoot!

...along with the Russell push-on EFI AN adapters for the filter and rail...

Be careful of those. A local friend used them and one of the plastic connectors let go and dumped fuel. No one knows for sure if maybe he didn't get it snapped all the way on, but obviously he thought it was.

I used the same part, but threw the plastic in the garbage and machined a cotter pin hole.

Bo, do you plan on using the Tunercat program to disable functions in the GMECU, or are you going standalone?

My bud loves his Tunercat, and the robustness of the GM ECU (along with the great learning routines of short and long-term fuel loop tuning) make for a very attractive combination!

He put a 94 Mill in a 74 Camaro, and Tunercat was his solution to gearing, tire size, disabling O2's, PCM tweaking... Everything!

Did I mention my office is off Pathfinder in Diamond Bar? I thought you were in south-county more!

Tony, you told me about office location a while ago. I moved from south Orange County (Foothill Ranch) to Diamond Bar in April 2010.

I opted for HP Tuners which is similar to Tunercat but has a more polished user interface. I can use HP Tuners to tune the car as well (fuel, spark, disable sensors - O2, VATs, EGR - ect.), read codes, and tune the 4L60E (i.e., shift points, min/max line pressure, etc.). It only makes sense to buy HPTuners (or another program) instead of sending the PCM in everytime you want to make a change. I just need to wire up an OBDII port which is easy - 4 wires and a connector. I have these parts coming in as well.

I spent a couple hours last night removing the exhaust manifolds, A/C compressor, and cleaning the engine up. I picked up an LS6 intake as well and am dropping off a few parts for powder coating later today.

Bo,

good luck with your new venture. You do nice work and are very thorough and it should turn out nice. Someday I might fall to the dark side, but still learning and playing with the L6. Wish i had money when your nice parts came up for sale.