HybridZ

Can't buy 225/50/15s?

Why am I having such a hard time getting a set of 225/50/15s??

I got a set of 8"/7.5" wide wheels for my 73 240z with the idea that I would be able to buy tires for them.

Well evidently I was wrong! Right now there are no UHP Summer tires available in 225/50/15 anywhere unless you can run racing slicks. All I can find are All seasons (which just won't do) and Hoosiers!

I had planned to buy the BF Goodrich G-Force Sports but they are "Back ordered" with no word from the Manufacturer as to when/if they will start up production.

I thought this was America?!?! Can't we get whatever we want?

If I can't buy 225/50/15s for my 8/7.5" wheels what should I buy??

- humph

I got 205/50/15's for my 15x7 Konig rewinds.

post-1627-050595800 1306504483_thumb.jpg

I got Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires. I checked their sizes and man, you're right ... nothing wider. I couldn't find anything in your size for any brand of performance summer tires. it seems they stopped carrying them.

They should still make Kuhmo AST's in that size, I work at a tire store and I still see that size, you might have to go up a profile size to find something like a 225/55/15, not sure if that is around either but it would be something to check. 15" wheels are getting less popular I usually only see them on older cars or Mini-vans and usually nothing decently wide. I know they still make 255/50/16's and 245/50/16's but that style should stay for a while since its a common size for Camaro and Firebird guys.

Drax: Tire rack only has a pair of yokohamas. Those BF Goodrichs are the ones I was lined up to buy but according to them they aren't even making them right now.

Khumo ASTs are all season tires. I've had really poor performance from them in the past. I refuse to run an All season when the car is for summer only.

John are there other resources that you can recommend? I've tried all the big sites, tirerack, discount, etc.

I will research 225/45s though. I can't remember if I tried that size or not.

Well, you are right. There has been a decrease in the availably of 15 in. performance tires. When I was looking for wheels I checked tire availability in brands I would run. Well, that caused me to make a quick decision that 15 in. would not work for the long run (many years of purchasing tires). I purchased 16 in. and the availably is limited also. What I found is that a 215-60-15 had the best availability and looks the best as an old school look and they are available in the 15 in.

Lol yeah Tony I was half joking.

But to be honest, for me to have absolutley zero issues finding even the silliest little part for this car, and the major issue I run into is finding the tires.. you gotta admit that that seems a little backwards.

Thanks for all of the tips guys! I will check all of those resources now.

Much appreciated.

And just so you know there are almost no high performance fires in that size on ebay either. Just all seasons and stuff.

Look into the brand Toyo, ive been running the Proxes4 on my Audis and man do they grip in dry and wet even with a 4000 pound car.... I checked and a few of their high performance tires are in the size you specified and and few sizes around that.

Edited by KillerBjt

Thanks for the recommendation killer. Ill check them out if this order falls through.

I just placed an order on onlinetires.com for exactly the tires I was looking for. They didn't specify whether or not they were in stock so I am thinking they intend to ship direct from the manufacturer. Too bad I verified with the mgr already that they have no set plans to fill the existing orders.

But, well see how it goes. Thanks for the tip on onlinetires.com. Hopefully it works out!

Thanks for the recommendation killer. Ill check them out if this order falls through.

I just placed an order on onlinetires.com for exactly the tires I was looking for. They didn't specify whether or not they were in stock so I am thinking they intend to ship direct from the manufacturer. Too bad I verified with the mgr already that they have no set plans to fill the existing orders.

But, well see how it goes. Thanks for the tip on onlinetires.com. Hopefully it works out!

You can call onlinetires directly & they will tell you if they are in stock, and take your order over the phone, if you'd like.

"I thought this was America?!?! Can't we get whatever we want?"

Oh son, you've drunk the Kool-Aid if you're in that frame of mind! Nothing could be further from the truth!

:huh:

:lol: I's all relative though, even getting 'drunk' on soft drink :D