HybridZ

Drifting handbrake (hydraulic handbrake)

Here are some pictures of the hydraulic handbrake system I'm building. The red line connects a

remote reservoir to the master cylinder. The proportion valve is not part of the hydraulic hand

brake system, the red line just passes under it along its route. The proportion valve is for the standard

foot brake system. The remote reservoir is needed for seat clearance. Someday I will find a

straight handle instead of the curved one.

post-5903-091368200 1306553910_thumb.jpg

post-5903-030733100 1306553926_thumb.jpg

post-5903-083172000 1306553947_thumb.jpg

post-5903-076261000 1306553963_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have obtained Sean Schlapi's (Las Vegas) rear disc brake conversion which uses 85 Maxima calipers. Also obtained a second set of 85 Maxima calipers and hoses. Now to order Porterfield pads and have a bracket made that allows 2 calipers for each rear wheel. Pics when available.

Just ordered 85 Maxima pads from Porterfield. My street pad will be R4-S on both my 72 240z stock front caliper and my primary maxima rear caliper. I'll be trying the R4-1 on the drifting rear Maxima caliper that activates with the hand brake. Next step is to make (or have made) new caliper brackets that allow mounting of dual Maxima calipers on each rear wheel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dual caliper bracket is designed and at machinist. Mocked up rear disc conversion from Sean (or Shawn) from New Mexico. Bolts right up! Only problem is that my passenger side disc wobbles. Has anybody out there bent a stub axle? Gonna pull it apart and see if maybe there is some crud between the rotor and the flange. I really don't want to replace a stub axle....

Bracket is at machinist. I checked on it today and he has started, we verified some design issues and left him a caliper to ensure it fits. He has a long way to go, and is working this job in between better paying, more time critical jobs. I will definitely put pics up when I have the new brackets.

• 2 weeks later...

Got brackets back from machinist today. He somehow let the template twist a little before drilling the holes to bolt onto the hub, so the clearance between the cable parking brake and the strut tube is just closer than I had hoped for. I think I can clearance it by trimming a little material off of the cable bracket. My drawings were such that the lower caliper would be level with the ground. I got jacked pretty hard on the brackets - $1000 total for both prototypes, but that is life in a small town with few machinist options. I would have to find more cost effective option if I was an entrepreneur and wanted to manufacure these. I need to find one brake hose that is 1 to 2 inches longer, and I need to move one of my brake hose-to-frame brackets up a little to complete the plumbing, but I think this is going to work. Pictures show the starting Maxima set up, then the double Maxima set up. I'll start painting parts Saturday then there will be a delay while I wait for new stub axles to arrive, get new bearings pressed and re-install.

post-5903-010906400 1314934902_thumb.jpg

post-5903-086106700 1314934915_thumb.jpg

post-5903-003629500 1314934951_thumb.jpg

post-5903-024866800 1314934981_thumb.jpg

post-5903-007565600 1314934993_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got brackets back from machinist today. He somehow let the template twist a little before drilling the holes to bolt onto the hub, so the clearance between the cable parking brake and the strut tube is just closer than I had hoped for. I think I can clearance it by trimming a little material off of the cable bracket. My drawings were such that the lower caliper would be level with the ground. I got jacked pretty hard on the brackets - $1000 total for both prototypes, but that is life in a small town with few machinist options. I would have to find more cost effective option if I was an entrepreneur and wanted to manufacure these. I need to find one brake hose that is 1 to 2 inches longer, and I need to move one of my brake hose-to-frame brackets up a little to complete the plumbing, but I think this is going to work. Pictures show the starting Maxima set up, then the double Maxima set up. I'll start painting parts Saturday then there will be a delay while I wait for new stub axles to arrive, get new bearings pressed and re-install.

If you paid that much...they should have givin you the file or diagrams? Let me know and I will check my machinest on cost...I also had similar thoughts on dual Z32 fronts..."If more is better then too much is just enough" a little over kill but I like it.

Hydraulic handbrake system is finished-well at least as finished as anything in my garage. All installed and bled. Still need to optimize e-brake cable routing as it currently rubs on mustache bar, but it works great. We'll have to wait until this winter or spring for test drive impressions. It is based on a cheap internet "drifting brake" system that quickly fell apart. The only part original to that system is the master cylinder bracket and some of the linkages. In hindsight I would have gotten a CNC hydraulic handbrake for this part of the system and had a friend weld in some short of bracket on the side of the tranny tunnel. My system uses a wilwood master cylinder with a remote reservoir for passenger seat clearance. Plumbing is independent of the footbrake system. Proportion valve is not part of handbrake, it goes with footbrake system. It was very hard to adjust brakes when the hydraulic handbrake was originally plumbed in series with the standard braking (footbrake) system. Now the only part the two systems share is the rotor. I have changed the stock drums for a dual-1985 maxima system from Shaun Schlapi with a custom dual caliper bracket I had made locally. It all works great - in the garage. Road test later.

post-5903-076752100 1317605297_thumb.jpg

post-5903-098859200 1317605311_thumb.jpg

post-5903-069997200 1317605327_thumb.jpg

This is interesting me, im trying to to the same thing and going to pick up hydaulic ebrake this winter. Is your system connected with the factory brake system or is yours just resevoir-ebrake mc- rear calipers? Also why not get the wilwood 3/4mc with resevoir?

Edited by mistah mofro

I have two totally independent systems of MC, lines, calipers. The only part of the system that is shared is the rotor. Study the center picture and follow the red line between the master cylinder and the remote brake fluid reservoir - I did just exactly what you are suggesting-wilwood MC with remote reservoir-it all comes in their kit. I started this with a K-sport internet chinese piece of junk kit then started modifying from there, the only thing left from that kit is the bracket. I would not do it the same way in hindsight. I would start with a CNC hydraulic handbrake - google that and you will find a MC/bracket/lever kit designed for sand rails. It is a much better kit. Thanks for reading my threat!

What do you mean by rotor system is shared, by what exactly? So from what i can see its resevoir/mc/proportioning valve/lines/and rotors if im correct? I havent heard good things with the ksport ebrake i was just going to get a driftoworks one or something. Have you used it at all yet?

• 4 months later...

Drift brake works great. Did have a problem. The brakes were progressively clamping down over about a mile of driving. Turned out to be due to a problem with incompatibility between the K-sport master cylinder push rod and the Wilwood push rod. I had swapped the K-sport rod into the Wilwood push rod and the end "button" on the end of the rod was of different dimension. So, I ground down the K-sport pushrod so that the dimensions were correct-locking of brakes stopped. Got 3 great spins with drift brake before fuel filter plugged and motor died.

post-5903-009431300 1330999396_thumb.jpg

post-5903-099876200 1330999415_thumb.jpg

The ksport and driftworks hand brakes are the same - total crap. They look to be made in the same Chinese factory out of recycled beer cans. The cast aluminum plate handle bends like a noodle-mine bent 30 degrees on the second pull. If I were to do this over, I would use the CNC system. You need a solid steel or tubular steel handle. The in-line reservoir system is kind of funny. The adjustment of your handbrake affects the feel of the pedal brake system-the two are connected and feedback into one another. Pull the hand brake and the footbrake pushes up; step on the foot brake and the handbrake handle moves. I like it a lot better now that I have a remote reservoir.

No. What I did was order a kit (the vendor should be listed further up in this thread) and I made my bracket using that bracket to tell my machinist how to set up the distances from the hub flange, and I gave him a drawing of how I wanted the other dimensions. I'll look and see if I can find the drawing, but it doesn't show any of the spacing to get the caliper aligned to the rotor. If I can find it, I'll cell phone photo it and post it here.

• 2 weeks later...