HybridZ

1970 240z Build Thread (Warning! Lot of pictures)

If I'm assuming correctly that you're on a budget (correct me if I'm wrong) what I would do is paint it the original color (or another stock Datsun color), restore the interior to stock, and throw in an L28ET, which I expect will make enough power to satisfy you, relatively cheaply. I think the Watanabes you talked about would be appropriate if they will fit without flares.

That's just me though. Ultimately it's your car and your decision.

Edited by rturbo 930

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I'm on a budget, but my dads friend owns a shop and offered to paint the car for me for cheap. I'm going for the Lexus LFA Blue, power wise I don't think I'll do anything to it quite yet. Interior is going to be stock but just an upgraded stereo and maybe seats.I'm done with exterior mods after fender mirrors, new wheels, and a HID projector retrofit. All that is later on though I want to focus on replacing worn out parts first.

• 4 weeks later...

7/3/11 Update

I've gotten lazy lately with the car, I've just been out enjoying the rare Washington sunshine.

I haven't updated this for awhile now, schools been out for a while now. I finished primering the whole car black awhile ago. Now I've encountered another problem my door won't open from the outside but will open from the inside.

this has happened to me before. pull your door panel, locate the adjustment nut/collar at the bottom of the rod which the outer door handle actuates. simply thread it to extend the rod a bit. pulling and reinstalling the door panel should be the most tedious part of the job.

7/3/11 Update

I've gotten lazy lately with the car, I've just been out enjoying the rare Washington sunshine.

I haven't updated this for awhile now, schools been out for a while now. I finished primering the whole car black awhile ago. Now I've encountered another problem my door won't open from the outside but will open from the inside.

• 3 months later...

Wow been such a long time since I last looked in here. Well so far I haven't gotten anywhere school has taken over my life since August.

But I am pretty close to getting it done, all I need to do is sell my spare good dash and front valance and I should be able to finish her up wiring, body work. and paint wise. Do you guys think $2500 is a good deal for all of that to get done? So now I am deciding on colors it is between San Marino Blue on the 08 350z or the Lexus LFA Blue. After all the body work and wiring, I need to get new seals, fix the brakes, replace the blown worn out suspension for coilovers, and finish up my exterior.

• 3 months later...

The rival has started :D Coilovers, camber plates, and fender mirrors have all been ordered.

Getting towed away last wednesday

431240_10150593671925340_655190339_8991071_1074771887_n.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

We discovered a problem, the sway bar is hitting the car. Is there a way to fix that?

DSCF0078.jpg

Oh and don't mind the pointing hand.

Edited by Devil_S30

Nice. I like standard and modified cars. But if you aren't sure there is a compromise. Just modify it but limit the mods to things that could be reversed. For example, go to town on the engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, spoilers. Just leave the chasis and body work standard. If you ever regret it you can always revert to all the standard stuff.

End of Week 1

Ordered my Coils and camber plates will be here Wednesday-Saturday, bought the cheap $80 plastic fender mirrors off ebay last week and they arrived today. While taking apart the car for sanding I found out that I needed a new passenger side fender so if anyone has one they're willing to sell pm me. Currently she is getting gutted out completely for rewiring during that process all the plastic interior pieces broke so now I also am in need of those. I settled on a Lexus Black Sapphire pearl for paint what do you guys think of the color?

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

The bad fender

DSCF0101.jpg

How she sits as of today

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

DSCF0110.jpg

The pile of parts

DSCF0111.jpg

And finally of the shop

DSCF0112.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well...still no coils Fedex is being Fedex, but I did get a new fender from a 75 280z at the local u-pull junkyard. Progress is getting slower and slower as more and more cars are coming for sandblasting. Only have the hatch sanded so far. :( There's still so much to do

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

Now for the other projects at the shop

67 Mustang that came in for blasting

DSCF0245.jpg

A old little Honda can't remember the name right now

DSCF0244.jpg

The Chevelle

DSCF0246.jpg

Edited by Devil_S30