HybridZ

Snap-on vs. Matco? Your opinion please.

nusstang67

Hi,

Let me start by saying Hybridz.org is amazing! I have been lurking for a while now and have found answers to everything so far. I have a 1972 240z thats been in my family 13 years now. It's currently in pieces in my garage lol.

I'm starting Automotive school in August and have to pick tools. Both Snap-on and Matco are offering 60% discounts to students. Both have lifetime warranties. Both fulfill a tool list provide by the school and offer your choice of box. So, I don't feel there is really a wrong choice. Also, both companies trucks visit the school regularly.

I would like to hear some opinions from people in the field or that just have more experience useing these brands than me.

Thanks,

Chad

I'll start this with saying I don't know your specific circumstances, so I'm going to make an assumption and forgive me if I'm wrong.

I have worked with thousands of mechanics through my jobs. (maintenance manager for some extremely large operations) I absolutely advocate buying the right tool for the job, buying it once, and having it for the rest of your life.

With that said, make sure the tool you are buying NEEDS to be one of the uber-expensive brands to fit that bill, and make sure you are going to use it enough to justify it. I've seen a lot of apprentices roll in with $20,000 worth of cabinets and basic S-O tools, spend their first years pay (via credit) on more S-O stuff than they'll ever need, and pay the price for many many years follow. All the while the journeyman mechanics are there with their well used (and well cared for) rigs with 1/4 of that in tools, spread out over 20 years of work... and doing a better job with much less invested.

The point? Be selective. Pick away at it. Don't buy a snap on hood ornament adjuster for a 54 rolls royce for $300 when you know you'll only use it once. It may be a great conversation piece in your cabinet, but weigh it against things like accumulating debt, buying a house, etc.

As far as buying tools go (the original question), I would look at the ease and availability to get replacements as a high priority. S-O does well for that, I don't know how MATCO compares in your area. My personal philosophy (as a part-time mechanic at best) is that I only buy the high $$$ tools when it's 1) complex, or 2) used a ton. As a result, my ratchets, sockets and wrenches are the only things I splurged for S-O on. The rest, is guaranteed for life stuff, by a local big box store. I can get replacements easily, and generally they put up with my usage levels.

I think if you could choose the tools that would be going into your tool box, it would be a lot better for you. A.A.I. in Arizona, has a set dollar amount that a student can spend on his tools. The student can then figure out what specific tools he wants.

Either company has good products, The better thing to figure out is which tool trucks will stop buy where your going to be eventually working.

I work on cars for a living and I only use snap-on tools. Matco don't seem to feel right and I don't think they are the same quality. Some of Marco tools remind me of craftsman tools. But it all depends on how much you want to spend. I have over 50k on tools and growing.

Remember crappy tools= pain ( busted knuckles) and time is money in this business.

I am locked into what tools I get, at first. The schools requires me to have a certain list of tools by the start of classes (not un-like a math class requires you to have a certain book).

The list is just the basics: 1/4 inch drive set, 3/8 inch drive set, 1/2 inch drive set, wrench set (all sets include standard and metric sizes and shallow and deep sockets)screwdriversrs, pliers, battery tools, hammers, and miscellaneous tools such as carbon scrapers, prybar, punch and chisel set, allen wrenches, soldering iron, impact wrench and socket set and more.

After that I'm free to pick and chose tools at will, boxes are also my choice.

Really just wanting to know what people are using and which company ya'll have had an easier time dealing with (warranty wise and such) throughout the years.

Thanks again for any comments,

Chad

I have probably an equal amount of Matco and Snap-On, and they made up about 1/3 of my total tools when I left wrenching as a profession. I haven't seen a real difference between one and the other in terms of performance. I would think that your money will go farther on the Matco truck. I would also suggest that you start with a Craftsman set of basic tools, because really, buying Snap-On or Matco 1/4 or 3/8 extension sets is a waste of money (I speak from experience). Last I heard, Matco had a MUCH better deal on tool boxes than Snap-On. That was probably 10 years ago, but the price difference was ridiculous at the time. I would look at Craftsman for boxes too. Just because you paid more for tools doesn't mean that you'll get paid more for the work you're doing. If the tool helps you do the job faster, then it might be worth it. If it's just a socket or an extension, buying "the best" is probably not going to make any difference in your speed whatsoever, but it will put you deeper in debt.

buying "the best" is probably not going to make any difference in your speed whatsoever, but it will put you deeper in debt.

It does when you break the the tool and have to wait for the tool truck to show up lol. been there and done that. Or when the crappy tool breaks and causes body harm and sends you to the emergency room. I have also been there. It's just not worth saving a few bucks. Remember you get what you pay for.

It does when you break the the tool and have to wait for the tool truck to show up lol. been there and done that. Or when the crappy tool breaks and causes body harm and sends you to the emergency room. I have also been there. It's just not worth saving a few bucks. Remember you get what you pay for.

There are only certain tools that could cause body harm by themselves. For those, it's obvious to buy a better product. But how much you pay doesn't always mean a better product. There's a certain point where spending money gives you diminishing returns in quality. Snap-On is one of the companies that's passed that point--for most of their tools.

I get almost all of the basic sockets and extensions at Harbor Freight. Say what you will about HF, but a lot of the simple tools there have lifetime warranties. Some of the ratchets are "OK", but most of mine are from Sears. I have a couple Snap-On ones. I also have one slightly wobbly extension that Snap-On had and I couldn't find anywhere else at the time--and I love it.

While you usually get what you pay for, some companies are just milking that attitude.

I also have a roller cabinet from HF, that's been great. I've only had it for a couple years, but no signs of it failing. I've heard stories though. Don't bother with anything without ball-bearing slides, but get something cheaper than a $10,000 Snap-On scam.

Edited by BLOZ UP

If you ABSOLUTELY are set on Snap-On or MATCO (my nod goes to Snap-On personally in this instance) heed well the following statement:

PAWN SHOPS ARE YOUR FRIEND!

No, they don't take payments. No, they don't finance (usually) but they DO give you a cut-rate for the SAME EXACT TOOL.

There are some instances where a Snap-On thinwall ring spanner is the only thing that will fit. For that job, buy one. I'm sad the quality of Craftsman has dropped steadily over the years. I have Craftsman that goes with me on jobs for the availability of replacements if I ever needed it (thought I haven't yet...)

I once got into an argument with my boss about our company trucks. He was whining about how much money he had tied up in the trucks. He did not believe me when I said "I have more ON the truck than you have IN the truck!" A 19 page single-spaced insurance inventory the next day shot his theory of being an uninvested freeloader taking his truck for my personal advantage!

But then again, that was over 25 years. You will find you really don't need a lot to start. The school has some deal with the local company to supply the tools, and likely there is some kickback somewhere. It's a scam. Pay $40K for college, pay the debt for a while. Pay $40K for tools, pay the debt for a while. Either way, you pay.

Get them the cheapest way you can. I shy away from flea markets and swap meets as likely you are buying stolen stuff. But a pawn shop at least gains cursory information from the guy hocking it.

And that tells you something... You notice a lot of Drum Kits, Lead and Bass Axes, Saxophones and Trumpets in a pawn shop along with tradesmen's tools.

You don't see a lot of Cellos, or books on fluid dynamics and hydraulic engineering.

What does that tell you? <_<

I'll echo a lot of the advice above. Do not go deep in debt as part of your schooling. Take the list of tools your school requires and go shopping at Sears for Craftsman tools and at local pawn shops. Just get the prices and note the source on your list. Show it to the Snap-on and Matco guys and have then do their best to match it. 60% off is almost the standard discount from Snap-On if you're in the trade so try to get more then that. If they don't want to play, at least you've got alternatives from your list.

And remember, the quality of the job is in the hand that is using the tool, not in the tool itself.

+1 for shopping around, get online prices for Sears and they will do package deals. It NEVER hurts to ask.

What tools have you been accustomed to? I think it's all preference, I work with tools daily (not cheep ones) and have had to 'modify' big $ socket/wrench ect... price adds up fast when a cheepo one would have done the same thing. Weigh your options, some stuff won't matter. With that said I have a mix of Sears, S.O. and H.F. Only broke a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer due to torque.

I'll echo a lot of the advice above. Do not go deep in debt as part of your schooling. Take the list of tools your school requires and go shopping at Sears for Craftsman tools and at local pawn shops. Just get the prices and note the source on your list. Show it to the Snap-on and Matco guys and have then do their best to match it. 60% off is almost the standard discount from Snap-On if you're in the trade so try to get more then that. If they don't want to play, at least you've got alternatives from your list.

And remember, the quality of the job is in the hand that is using the tool, not in the tool itself.

I have to agree with johnc. Buy only what you need as you need it. I have S.O. tools in my box that came as part of a set and have only been used 2-3 times in the last 40 years . That's a lot of money that was poorly spent.

A few complaints:

1. I have had Snapon ratchets break many times over the years, to the point that when I have something that is really tight, I use a Mac or Craftsman tool. Buy Ratchets that are fine toothed. They are stronger than coarse toothed ratchets.

2. Snapon wrench's have a somewhat sharp edge on them and they will hurt your hand when pulling hard on them. see #1 above.

3. Save your money on toolboxs, do not be tempted to buy the big, fancy, very expensive box. If I was in the market for a new box, I would look very seriously at the Stainless steel box's that are sold at Costco. They are good looking and I think they will last for a long time and they are priced very favorably.

My $.02,

Mongo

Edited by MONGO510

"2. Snapon wrench's have a somewhat sharp edge on them and they will hurt your hand when pulling hard on them. see #1 above."

That is what the leather sole on your work shoe is for! :P

My wife 'forbade' me from buying one of the big water-shedding Costco tool boxes that first came up in 2002. I'm sorry I didn't disregard her then! For the price it was a STEAL DEAL and was everything I needed for the house to consolidate my 'small tools'...

Recently, I found one at a Pawn Shop (sound familiar???) but sad to say someone had beaten me to it and it was "Sold"...

I still have ONE on the horizon... but he's a reluctant seller. One day, he too will need money and like his Milacron Lathe and Pallet Racks, I will possess that box! :D

20 years as a ford dealer tech-currently semi-retired.Pick the company that comes to the shop every week.In some locations Matco isnt around.Try craigslist-sometimes people are moving and dont want to move tools.Craftsman tools made in the last 10 years or so arent any good.I have had friends try to warrenty craftsman tools with the dealership work shirts on and crappy sears wouldnt honor the warrenty.i can break any brand of tool.

Agree with Randy about the ability to break any tool, but disagree about some of the other stuff. I've had more trouble warrantying Snap-On tools than anything else. Sears guy has never said "What were you doing with this screwdriver when it broke" to me. I know my Snap-On dealer was a bit of a tightwad though.

Also check Cornwell. Many of their tools are made in the US. Check out their site and see what you think.

I also go along with JohnC. No debt for school tools. You can make it on Craftsman. It won't be in your hand all day as you will be in class too.

As Tony mentioned... pawn shops. Great for deals. You must stay abreast of what stuff costs from the trucks so you know a deal when you see it. These days pawn shops are bound to have good stock.

Alan

When I went to automotive school we had similar deals from all of the tool trucks in our area (Snap-On, Cornwell, Mac), personally I preferred the quality of Mac and Snap-On, especially their specialty tools that were exclusive through the individual tool vendors. However when i began working at a shop, in this case Toyota, I noticed I wasn't using everything I had bought, and I at the same time after $10k in tools I still didn't have enough, I would recommend only getting what you need for where you're at. For example, we never got any vehicles needing SAE so I avoided buying those tools from one of them and bought them from Harbor Freight or Sears instead. Also remember, they're salesmen, they dont make money unless you buy stuff, so dont let them "ooh and ahh" you about some fancy stuff, just stick to basics, air tools, wrenches, sockets, grip tools, etc.

Also, if you dont already have a box, keep in mind where you're goin and how much you will need, dont get an oversized box and then later on not use the space, plus most boxes retain their value (Mac and Snap-on) and dealers will buy them back at good prices if you need to upgrade later on.

The only thing I buy off the MATCO truck is my Redbacks...

As to this:

"For example, we never got any vehicles needing SAE so I avoided buying those tools from one of them and bought them from Harbor Freight or Sears instead."

When I left plant utilities and got into field service, when interviewed they asked me 'do you have tools?' My reply was 'what do I need, exactly?'---interviewer ran a list which basically was 'Standard Hand Tools, to 1-1/4", anything larger is provided by the company'

I nonchalantly said "That won't be a problem" while at the same time, inside my head, I was SCREAMING: "YOU DON'T HAVE A SINGLE ENGLISH SPANNER IN YOUR KIT TO SAVE YOUR OWN A$$!" (I had everything metric to 46mm from working on VW's and living in Japan for 5 years, and maybe a couple of English Tools from my first $39.95 Craftsman Kit I bought when I was 17...

So out I went and simply bought a $4K Craftsman set. It had doubles, and all sorts of crap I didn't need. I could have gotten EXACTLY what I needed from Proto for $10K and had half as much... but I went for volume of metal. And I had hand tools to 2-3/8"...WOOT!

Get out to the first jobsite and I'm working with and I notice my wrenches are fitting sloppily. So I ask the 25 year vet of the company about the tool situation and he says: "Oh yeah, these are all metrics...but nobody has metric tools so they just use the standard stuff, it works just fine!

I about crapped. I spent $4K on nothing I didn't already HAVE. To top it off, 7 months later my truck was broken into at a PYP in Wilmington (South Blinn) and a whole buttload of tools were taken. When inventorying them, the individual prices added up to over $10K... I asked the controller what to do, since I could buy another set of tools like I had (and they only took my top hand box, basically 3/8, 1/2 sockets, and Spanners...) and the guys says "Do whatever you can to get everything replaced as cheaply and quickly as possible"---so I bought another $4K set and duplicated everything I already had...

Moral of the story:

1) Find out from the guys ON THE JOB what you will need, not some talking head or recruiter.

2) BUY TOOL INSURANCE AS A RIDER ON YOUR RENTER'S OR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE! It's cheap, cheaper than cheap!

You get ripped off on stuff you financed, if you don't have insurance...YOU'RE SCREWED!

Edited by Tony D