HybridZ

Shortnose r200 bolt in cradle idea

I was toying around with the idea that I could design some type of cradle to hold he shortnose r200 in it's proper place. It would have to be fastened to the rear subframe on a zx, and also be able to cradle the diff. There are much more things I need to consider( the rear mounting point, being able to swap covers, axles, etc) But if you could buy a cradle to basically bolt in a shortnose r200, which are plentiful and have so many options and aftermarket goodies, would you?

I also need to consider a custom driveshaft, possibly having to make axels or at least adapters to make them bolt up.

Most of the shortnose r200 threads I've seen involve taking the guts out and putting them in a longnose carrier.

Again this was just a thought I had when me and my friend were going over stuff

If I might make a suggestion: Do a Ford 8.8 IRS diff from an Explorer. You're going to have to do custom CV shafts anyway, and you can get diff ratios from 2.73 to 6.17 (most gears are under $300) and there are loads of lockers and limited slips available (most limited slips are under $500). I would guess that they are stronger than the R200, but they weigh a little less than the R180.

Cradle...you mean like this

DSCN2012_540.JPG

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74

Or techno toy tunings mount

z_conversion_02.jpg

http://technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=863

I second someone doing a mount for a diff that doesn't have massive F'in CV joints, and has more than 2 gear ratios, and preferably isn't a VLSD.

IT would be like the front of the modern motorsports kit, and like the TTT piece since it has an area to olt the shortnose to, but not the same kind of thing front for the s130/z31 subframe. The thing with s30's is that they don't have a crossmember like the s130 and z31. The way the shortnose mounts to the s13 chassis is underneath the rear crossmember, not on top like on our subframe.

Here you can see it at the front, the crossmember goes over it, and it has 4 bolts for the rear mounting point

s13dscf3221uk0.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by BluDestiny

If I might make a suggestion: Do a Ford 8.8 IRS diff from an Explorer. You're going to have to do custom CV shafts anyway, and you can get diff ratios from 2.73 to 6.17 (most gears are under $300) and there are loads of lockers and limited slips available (most limited slips are under $500). I would guess that they are stronger than the R200, but they weigh a little less than the R180.

+1,000,000,000,000 to the power of 9,999,999,999,999

Even short nose R200 prices are ridiculous by many standards. Cheaper than longnose R200 isn't saying much. Jon points out hard points to argue, and there's no real reason not to other than to "keep it nissan" which to me is like insisting on marrying a cousin, which will just lead to bad genes. Cross-company relations is a good and healthy thing. :-D

^^ Would weigh a tone...

try these pictures

sx510irs3.jpg

sx510irs2.jpg

sx510irs1a.jpg

sx510irs1.jpg

From memory its a datsun 1600 rear end. I found it on OZDAT.com the link is in a few threads here but I'll have to find it later.

Best way I have seen it done IMO

^^ Would weigh a tone...

You'd have to really measure to check it out, but I think even that Factory Five entire subframe with suspension might be close in weight or lighter than the stock semi-trailing arm. The Ford diff is 29 lbs lighter than the longnose R200. No more rear crossmember. I'm sure those tubular control arms are lighter than the Nissan stamped semi-trailing arms. The shocks are much smaller and lighter than what a 280ZX has. I wouldn't be surprised if the net weight was lighter, but you've got SLA instead of semi-trailing arms. What might be a pain is connecting that subframe into the chassis. I would expect that this would be best for a race car where you could tie it into a roll cage instead of trying to attach to the unibody. By the way that subframe with suspension is $2200, but you also need the parts from an IRS 8.8 donor vehicle, and then whatever upgrades you want there. I would expect to pay about $4500 or $5000 if I were going to buy that and make it the way I wanted and install it in my car. YMMV.

If you just did the F8.8 diff, then it's GOING to be lighter than the shortnose, unless you make the mounts out of lead.

Edited by JMortensen

Well, I want to heavily look into this. Everything for that Ford 8.8 is so damn cheap! A new lsd unit is like 250 bucks, and you could use 31 spline axles. But making that whole suspension setup is where the real coolness is! No more flappy single arm rear :D Ahhhh! To the junkyards!

Why are people so eager to ditch the semi-trailing arm? There's been so many successful race cars in history using semi-trailing arms I often wonder if people just get caught up in what's "best" and just assume everything else just sucks.

I understand that given the option we'd all have better suspension options in our cars, but the reality is that it simply costs too much and is too complicated for most of us to tackle. So I say learn to live with what you have, and learn to make it better.

Why are people so eager to ditch the semi-trailing arm? There's been so many successful race cars in history using semi-trailing arms I often wonder if people just get caught up in what's "best" and just assume everything else just sucks.

I understand that given the option we'd all have better suspension options in our cars, but the reality is that it simply costs too much and is too complicated for most of us to tackle. So I say learn to live with what you have, and learn to make it better.

I don't know why Neverdone posted the picture of the Factory Five suspension. Probably because it looks cool as hell. I was taking issue with the assertion that the SLA would be heavier. If someone did put this suspension on their Z or ZX, t wouldn't be the first time a suspension swap was done. Seems odd to me that people seem to want to swap out the rear and leave the front alone. Maybe they have some bit of insight that we don't have.

Semi-trailing arm can be made to work just fine, and I was racing against semi-trailing arm cars that I could never quite catch. But if I were designing a race car from scratch, I wouldn't pick it as a starting point.

Any way you skin the cat there are positives and negatives. Those +'s and -'s are different for everyone, like for me it was cheaper by a long shot to use a C200 lsd in my R200 long nose but some people don't have that option. Lucky for me I could use ether if I wanted to due to the almost free spares I have acquired :> and honestly I think the easiest way with the most benefit that I have seen is to swap in an S13/R32 or S15/R33 rear. If all your looking for is aftermarket support than that's what I would do.

from what I understand there is a fair amount of S13 240sx's in the US. Also why if you cannot get the cars in the US is there so many aftermarket stuff for S13's in the US, on that note you should have nissan D20's in one way shape or form so as to get C200 lsd diff centers from.

Im not familiar with the ford 8.8 but if you guys can make it work that sounds awesome :)