HybridZ

Leon's 260Z

Man, that's awesome! I envy your <45 min commute...

Ah, the new Z. I'm 100% set on getting it! :D However, a few things have to happen first:

I need to free up garage space/get rid of a project. This means either the running 260Z goes, or the (amazingly rust free) 2/71 240Z shell goes. I'm now leaning towards getting rid of the shell and the associated parts, since I've finally tuned the Webers on the running Z to near perfection. HOWEVER, there is a catch of course. My fiancee wants me to finance the purchase of the "new" Z with the sale of another one, and not dipping in to the savings account. I'm hoping I can get rid of the shell and a lot of the parts I've been hoarding in order to do this.

Man, I need to get going on selling this stuff!

Oh, and I'll somehow need to tow that Z from SLO to San Bruno. I'm thinking of renting a truck+trailer in order to be able to tow the car and grab all the spare parts the owner is giving with it.

I used a U-haul car trailer to tow my Z home (3 hour drive), it worked really well and was about $50. Maybe rent a pickup and a trailer from u-haul? Really wish I could get your shell and build it instead of mine, but maybe it will go to someone who will build it up really nice. Hit me up about parts, I'm in dire need of stuff haha. Funny you guys talking about commutes, guess i'm a bit lame on that. Didn't want to have a 45min commute every morning to school so I got an apartment lol. That said, parking at school takes about 45 minutes too so it would technically be an hour and a half commute, but with traffic on 101...

I used a U-haul car trailer to tow my Z home (3 hour drive), it worked really well and was about $50. Maybe rent a pickup and a trailer from u-haul? Really wish I could get your shell and build it instead of mine, but maybe it will go to someone who will build it up really nice. Hit me up about parts, I'm in dire need of stuff haha. Funny you guys talking about commutes, guess i'm a bit lame on that. Didn't want to have a 45min commute every morning to school so I got an apartment lol. That said, parking at school takes about 45 minutes too so it would technically be an hour and a half commute, but with traffic on 101...

That's what I'm thinking, just go to U-haul and get a truck + trailer. It's a 7-8 hour round-trip.

My shell just went up for sale! I've got a bunch of parts as well, so let me know if you need something!

Oh, and short commutes are a good thing. I dream of biking to work!

Keep in mind the mileage for the truck portion of the rental. That might get expensive, well if your selling stuff let me know what you have. I still need some L24 valves :) Or just tell your fiance that the 260 will be sitting at another location till you can figure out what to do and go and pick up the new Z lol.

Im hopefully getting a new car soon to commute to the job. I know I was hated for this at the bbq but I think I see a new VW GTI in my future.

Haha I biked to school one day successfully. Then the second day I tried it I got a flat tire 10 minutes into my ride. Figures since I have to ride by a construction zone to get to school... Oh well.

Anyways I'll send you a PM about parts. So where's pictures of the new Z? How will you deal out having 2 Z's and a s2k? I've always wondered how people justified having more than one sports car... Personally I'm a proponent of having like 2 cars: a Z and a little datto pickup (once I sell my mini lol). So what are you going to do with 3 sports cars?

Keep in mind the mileage for the truck portion of the rental. That might get expensive, well if your selling stuff let me know what you have. I still need some L24 valves :) Or just tell your fiance that the 260 will be sitting at another location till you can figure out what to do and go and pick up the new Z lol.

Im hopefully getting a new car soon to commute to the job. I know I was hated for this at the bbq but I think I see a new VW GTI in my future.

I was just thinking today about how I want to go about towing. I suppose there are a few options. One is to drive down there in the fiancee's Subi Outback, stuff Outback full of parts, rent truck+trailer and tow the Z home. Another is to do the same, but rent the truck here so we don't have to drive 2 cars back home. Yet another would be to borrow fiancee's mom's 2001 4Runner and rent a trailer in SLO. Pack the 4Runner with parts and tow the Z home.

I'll make a FS post for all the parts I'm getting rid of once I can catalogue what I have. I may have some extra valves...

Haha I biked to school one day successfully. Then the second day I tried it I got a flat tire 10 minutes into my ride. Figures since I have to ride by a construction zone to get to school... Oh well.

Anyways I'll send you a PM about parts. So where's pictures of the new Z? How will you deal out having 2 Z's and a s2k? I've always wondered how people justified having more than one sports car... Personally I'm a proponent of having like 2 cars: a Z and a little datto pickup (once I sell my mini lol). So what are you going to do with 3 sports cars?

No pictures of the new Z, but there will be. I have to pick it up first!

That would be a good question to ask Jay Leno. :) Well you see, the Z is a "vintage" sports car and the S is a "modern" sports car. They're completely different things. :P But seriously, I love both cars and have no problems with keeping up maintenance, driving them, etc. I drive each one to work once a week and the good ol' Accord picks up the slack. Weekends are for the fun cars. There are not many cars out there that I really, truly want to own but the Z and S both fit my desires. I also really like the first-gen BMW M Coupe, and E30 M3, or maybe... :iospalo:

At this moment, having a couple of 2 seaters is not a problem and the fiancee is fine with it. She's a huge dog-lover and has turned me to the "dog-side" as well. In the meantime, she's developed an appreciation for cars and understands my passion. It works both ways!

Honestly, I'd like to have a running Z so I want to keep the orange one until at least the "new" one is on the road. Once it's on the road, I may consider selling the other but who knows. I've got a lot of time and sweat into my orange Z so it's a bit hard to let go. When it comes time to start a family, I'm sure my paradigm will change.

That would be a good question to ask Jay Leno. :) Well you see, the Z is a "vintage" sports car and the S is a "modern" sports car. They're completely different things. :P

It's easy, at least in my mind......

You see, you need a front-engined, rear-drive, normally-aspirated, carbed, gas-powered 2 seat tintop sportscar. There is no doubt about this whatsoever.

The second you change any of these elements, it becomes a completely different car.

You have MANY perms and coms until you exhaust your choices. Turbo(s), blower, EFI, 4 seat, 4-door, wagon, convertible, front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, diesel. Then there's the whole street car vs. dedicated race car (or rally, autox, road race, etc.)

Yes, it's a disease, and I think most, if not all of us here, have it.

Edited by bradyzq

It's easy, at least in my mind......

You see, you need a front-engined, rear-drive, normally-aspirated, carbed, gas-powered 2 seat tintop sportscar. There is no doubt about this whatsoever.

The second you change any of these elements, it becomes a completely different car.

You have MANY perms and coms until you exhaust your choices. Turbo(s), blower, EFI, 4 seat, 4-door, wagon, convertible, front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, diesel. Then there's the whole street car vs. dedicated race car (or rally, autox, road race, etc.)

Yes, it's a disease, and I think most, if not all of us here, have it.

Totally with you there, Brady! It's an uncurable obsession addiction disease. :D

I was just thinking today about how I want to go about towing. I suppose there are a few options. One is to drive down there in the fiancee's Subi Outback, stuff Outback full of parts, rent truck+trailer and tow the Z home. Another is to do the same, but rent the truck here so we don't have to drive 2 cars back home. Yet another would be to borrow fiancee's mom's 2001 4Runner and rent a trailer in SLO. Pack the 4Runner with parts and tow the Z home.

I'll make a FS post for all the parts I'm getting rid of once I can catalogue what I have. I may have some extra valves...

Or if the subie has a tow hitch just tow it home with a car dolly. I've seen worse done. :-D

Rayapp used to tow S30s with a 280ZXT 2+2

Or if the subie has a tow hitch just tow it home with a car dolly. I've seen worse done. :-D

Rayapp used to tow S30s with a 280ZXT 2+2

I think the 4Runner is my best option if I don't want to rent a tow vehicle, unless my buddy wants to volunteer his '89 7.3 Powerstroke!

Maybe I'll just put a hitch on my 260Z... :huh:

The bigger challenge will be fitting the extra wheels, 2 engines, 2 transmissions, air dam, carbs, etc. somewhere.

As for pics, I suppose I can post the ones I got from the owner of when the Z was complete and in the UK. They're not the greatest quality but you get the "picture" <_< :

post-3287-0-73978500-1352925297_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-73546600-1352925298_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-53386900-1352925300_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-31782000-1352925301_thumb.jpg

Right on, lemme know what you have. I really don't want to buy some from MSA :icon45:

I think the 4Runner is my best option if I don't want to rent a tow vehicle, unless my buddy wants to volunteer his '89 7.3 Powerstroke!

Maybe I'll just put a hitch on my 260Z... :huh:

The bigger challenge will be fitting the extra wheels, 2 engines, 2 transmissions, air dam, carbs, etc. somewhere.

As for pics, I suppose I can post the ones I got from the owner of when the Z was complete and in the UK. They're not the greatest quality but you get the "picture" <_< :

post-3287-0-73978500-1352925297_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-73546600-1352925298_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-53386900-1352925300_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-31782000-1352925301_thumb.jpg

Anything performance youd like to sell from the other Z let me know too :)

Haha I did tow my car home with my dad's 4runner. It's a 2009 but a v6 none the less. Worked flawlessly, good thing he was driving too i'm nowhere near talented enough to drive well with a trailer, but ya 4runners are great for towing. I didn't have any extra parts in the back though, that's a bit more weight. I'm looking forward to the times when I can just pick up a couple extra engines and spare parts here and there and tinker with them in-between driving my Z. I still don't believe Z's were made to be driven, not mine anyways. It's meant to sit in my garage for an eternity as a "project". I'm still quite jealous of everyone on here who can acctually drive their Z's. I've never even been able to sit in the driver's seat and pretend I'm driving mine haha

Haha I did tow my car home with my dad's 4runner. It's a 2009 but a v6 none the less. Worked flawlessly, good thing he was driving too i'm nowhere near talented enough to drive well with a trailer, but ya 4runners are great for towing. I didn't have any extra parts in the back though, that's a bit more weight. I'm looking forward to the times when I can just pick up a couple extra engines and spare parts here and there and tinker with them in-between driving my Z. I still don't believe Z's were made to be driven, not mine anyways. It's meant to sit in my garage for an eternity as a "project". I'm still quite jealous of everyone on here who can acctually drive their Z's. I've never even been able to sit in the driver's seat and pretend I'm driving mine haha

Well hurry and finish it! Lol that i got mt new job ill be possibly sending mine to a shop to be painted rather then going to maaco.

Anything performance youd like to sell from the other Z let me know too :)

Will do!

The 4Runner tows great. When we moved back from SLO, we rented a big Uhaul trailer and towed our house back home! :lol: It was scary at first because the tongue wasn't loaded enough and I had some serious swaying going back down the back end of the Cuesta Grade, scared the crap out of me. Had to stop at a gas station, almost empty the trailer and repack it...

I have no doubts that it'll tow the car fine, the issue is the space for all the parts.

Unfortunately, some Z's fall into resto-purgatory (e.g. my shell). Others are lucky enough to be worked on. At least you're working on it! Come out and drive my Z sometime. ;)

U-haul will want to know the vehicle doing the towing and the vehicle being towed. I had to haul a wrecked cavalier with my old ranger but U-haul wouldn't clear it. I went to another U-haul and told them i was going to tow a 800 pound sand rail with the ranger and they let it slide. The 4 runner could absolutely haul a Z around but its quite possible U-haul gives you a hard time and you should be prepared for it.

Im located in Manteca and rock a 3/4 ton Ram diesel that would probably get 18 mpg hauling such a light load. PM me if you want to trade services for performance parts ;)