HybridZ

Leon's 260Z

I was thinking about that, not just with Z's but other interesting cars. E30 M3, AE86, Audi quattro from the 80's Cars like that. I'll let you know if I need to borrow it lol, or your s2k :icon56:

It sounds like a good idea but man, people would thrash the s*** out of those cars! You'd have to have some serious insurance coverage...

Yeah, just let me know, she's all yours. :D

It sounds like a good idea but man, people would thrash the s*** out of those cars! You'd have to have some serious insurance coverage...

Yeah, just let me know, she's all yours. :D

Yea i figured they would, but that woukd be a bad ass rental company. Rent the car of your dreams...20-40years ago lol

Yes.....i will have to explain to my wife how a running Z ud in tge driveway but it'll ve cool lol.

• 1 month later...

Long-time, no-update! My 240Z shell is sold an awaiting the buyer to come up from LA with his truck and trailer! It should be gone after Christmas.

This means I'm getting much closer to picking up that green 260Z! Now I just have to get the ball rolling on how exactly that will happen...

Meanwhile, here's the long-awaited JCCS, Part 2. It'll be a shorter one as I need to do another Photobucket photo-dump.

Here's the Z in its spot the following morning, after our arrival on Thursday night.

LeonsCamera36.jpg

We used Friday as a day to have some fun in SLO. I went to school at Cal Poly, so we made sure to hit all of the old spots and visit campus to marvel at the fantastic new gym facilities that they just finished. But before doing all of that, I did a quick search online to see if there were any detail shops around that could brighten up the finish on the Z. I found this little place called the "Central Coast Auto Spa" which got good reviews. I gave them a call, and they very luckily had time in their schedule that day to give the Z some attention!

I drove over to a tow-yard in which the CC Auto Spa owners rented out a little space. A situation like this can seem a little iffy, but these guys were awesome!!! They're a couple of brothers who have experience detailing all sorts of cars, even high-end classics like an M-B 300SL Gullwing that they did shortly before I found them. I told them what I wanted and they were super enthusiastic as they'd never done an old Z before. I left the car with them and walked to downtown with my fiancee.

I made sure to also stop by the British Classic Car shop in town, the guys there are always welcoming and always have something cool in the shop. That day was no different!

Side of the shop

MelissasCameraPart117.jpg

Something that looked like a Triumph but wasn't, don't remember what it was though...

MelissasCameraPart123.jpg

Ford Anglia E494A

MelissasCameraPart130.jpg

Just a typical twin-cam Honda engine...

MelissasCameraPart131.jpg

...shoved inside an old-school Mini Countryman!

MelissasCameraPart132.jpg

Nice, eclectic group here: an old Lancia (or something else, can't remember), nice Healey 3000, and FJ40 Land Cruiser

MelissasCameraPart135.jpg

And an old Rolls Royce (?) going through a rebuild

MelissasCameraPart136.jpg

MelissasCameraPart138.jpg

These weren't all the "cool" cars in the shop, but the ones I uploaded pics of. I love that place!

A little while later, finally got the call from the guy telling me to head down. They put in something like 4 hours of work and they charged a very reasonable rate. I loved their work and enthusiasm these guys put into their work. You could tell they genuinely enjoyed it! I was stunned.

The final results spoke for themselves:

MelissasCameraPart147.jpg

MelissasCameraPart146.jpg

MelissasCameraPart148.jpg

MelissasCameraPart153.jpg

MelissasCameraPart154.jpg

MelissasCameraPart150.jpg

:icon52:  :hail: My god, the Z has never looked this good! I was pumped!!!

We went to campus, stopped by the old neighborhoods, had some amazing Thai food at our favorite place and called it a night. After all, we have to get up at 4am the next morning... better get packing.

MelissasCameraPart160.jpg

'Til next time, enjoy the holidays guys! :D

The Z looks so good now!  Really jealous... I ordered some valves from the Z store last week and they haven't shipped yet >:( the person im emailing says that they didn't have them in stock but the blah blah blah never sent them blah blah... so needles to say my head is still not done.  I wanted it get it down before xmas but good thing I didn't since I spent almost 500 bucks on my dog at the vet : / 

And I was really looking forward to continuing now that my car can only be driven once a week so I commute with my wife and drop her off at bart.  Man I need a car lol

The Z looks so good now!  Really jealous... I ordered some valves from the Z store last week and they haven't shipped yet > :( the person im emailing says that they didn't have them in stock but the blah blah blah never sent them blah blah... so needles to say my head is still not done.  I wanted it get it down before xmas but good thing I didn't since I spent almost 500 bucks on my dog at the vet : / 

And I was really looking forward to continuing now that my car can only be driven once a week so I commute with my wife and drop her off at bart.  Man I need a car lol

Thanks Alex! Sorry to hear about the dog, hope all is ok there.

If you want to cancel the order, I can sell you some used valves from my E31 head if you'd like. I don't think I'll ever use them. ;)

Just keep plugging away, an hour here and there, and that Z will get back on the road!

Leon,

Wow, damn! Your z is looking Legit! Looks like those guys did a great job. Congrats

Bill

Thanks Bill, I was awestruck when I first saw the car after their work on it. Hope to see that RB of your's soon!

Looks great!

What is the next car you speak of?

I appreciate it, Clive! I plan to pick up a nice early 260Z pretty soon from a former college prof of mine. I've got the details on the previous page of this thread, if you want more info! I'm planning to get the car in a few weeks, just need to figure out the truck & trailer situation.

The Blue car that looked like a Triumph is a Daimler SP250 Dart

And the Rolls Royce is a Phantom 1, built specifically for the American market in Springfield Massachusetts

:-)

Damn, you're good! Yes, Daimler SP250, that's exactly right. Great info on the Rolls! ;)

Thanks Alex! Sorry to hear about the dog, hope all is ok there. If you want to cancel the order, I can sell you some used valves from my E31 head if you'd like. I don't think I'll ever use them. ;) Just keep plugging away, an hour here and there, and that Z will get back on the road!

Actually I do want to buy them! I'm on you.

• 2 weeks later...

The seemingly impossible finally happened, my rust-free 2/71 240Z shell was taken away yesterday. It went to a good home but I'm still a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to get this one back on the road. At least it opens up garage space and motivates me to clean things out and organize!

Instead of going all macho-man on it and just lifting it out and walking the shell onto the trailer, like we probably could have, we used some "Egyptian engineering" to safely get the bare shell onto the trailer. It involved pieces of wood, some dollies, and levers. We had my dad, the new owner, my next door neighbor, and myself at work.

The new owner's rig, F350 with a 12,000lb trailer. Nice!

DSCN1591_zps0ca9f617.jpg

Prep work

DSCN1590_zps78f1e1cf.jpg

After much deliberation, we ended up placing the shell on two dollies which were placed in parallel underneath both floor pans, near the CG of the car. My neighbor is responsible for that decision and it was a good one! That made it easy to tilt and shift weight from either set of dolly wheels, allowing us to get the dollies up on the plywood ramps the new owner set up on the trailer. We had some very long wood planks that the dollies supported, so as not to damage the floor pan rails. Good thing the new owner brought a bunch of wood with him! I didn't get pics of the setup as we were all working.

Here you can see some clever lever work to lift the body up and remove the final dolly. The new owner is doing the levering and my dad is in the background.

DSCN1592_zpsa0a01214.jpg

Touchdown!

DSCN1593_zps36328619.jpg

The planks and dollies

DSCN1595_zps45392908.jpg

Rigging up the hood and doors

DSCN1598_zps8709573b.jpg

DSCN1599_zps33a63259.jpg

And she's all set for her 400mi trip to LA

DSCN1603_zps60569d03.jpg

I've already spoken to the owner and they got home quickly and safely!

Meanwhile, I've been cleaning the garage out little-by-little, trying to transition it from a hoarder storage unit, to a nice, usable workspace.

I hadn't seen that floor in at least 4 years!

DSCN1605_zpsf0da7f6a.jpg

Lucky S2000, she gets to stay in the garage now. Well, at least for the next few weeks... :icon54:

DSCN1610_zps26539ec3.jpg

Congrats!  Hows the little lady taking it...?

She doesn't mind, as long as the money doesn't come out of the wedding savings. :)

Plus, the trip to pick up the car has of course turned into a weekend-long SLO vacation!

Edited by Leon