HybridZ

Leon's 260Z

I like where your head's at! :lol:

I should rephrase my original statement to, "I wish I had more space!"

I'm really contemplating selling the orange car. I absolutely LOVE the color, but if I sell it, it just means that the 240Z shell will have to be painted orange. Boom, my decision on what color that car needs to be is made for me. :)

We'll wait and see if he wants to sell his Z, if he does I'll have a tough decision on my hands.

Edited by Leon

Leon, How did you connect the MJ on your setup?

did you use MAP or TPS? Do you have any close up view from your setup? I'm going for TPS installed at the end of the accel rod linkage. With my old DCOE 18, there isn't any tab available for easy install on throttle shaft + throttle shaft thread is a pain, it is M7 and it would require an custom adapter to fit the TPS.

I also have a MAP but for now I don't expect to use it.

Thanks!

Edited by Lazeum

If you want a more substantial garage.... Room to put in a lift...

http://www.tuffshed.com/products_prices.cfm?ModelID=GB&TabID=Prices

What's wrong with the orange body that you'd need to keep around a stripped rust free body, in light of a pristine green S30? maybe you could hang the body on the wall too? I think it's a too many toys situation.

Leon, How did you connect the MJ on your setup?

did you use MAP or TPS? Do you have any close up view from your setup? I'm going for TPS installed at the end of the accel rod linkage. With my old DCOE 18, there isn't any tab available for easy install on throttle shaft + throttle shaft thread is a pain, it is M7 and it would require an custom adapter to fit the TPS.

I also have a MAP but for now I don't expect to use it.

Thanks!

Hey Matt,

I'm using MAP. All I did was run some vacuum hose from an open port in my Cannon manifold to the MJ unit. Simple! The signal is a little bit noisy at low engine speeds but I'm not running a vacuum box at the moment, just a direct run of hose. BTW, I'm using a stock cam so using MAP with an aggressive, high-overlap cam would be more difficult.

If you want a more substantial garage.... Room to put in a lift...

http://www.tuffshed.com/products_prices.cfm?ModelID=GB&TabID=Prices

What's wrong with the orange body that you'd need to keep around a stripped rust free body, in light of a pristine green S30? maybe you could hang the body on the wall too? I think it's a too many toys situation.

I live just south of SF, so space is a concern compared to you lucky guys with lots of land.

The rust-free shell is a continuation of my first Z project. I have visions of grandeur about restoring it, although I haven't quite gotten to the "restore" stage. I've got boxes upon boxes of parts for it so it's ready when I am. The other issue is, if I decide to sell the shell (by the sea shore?) I have to dig out all the parts inside, under and around it. Then there's the issue of moving it since it doesn't have any wheels, let alone any suspension bits attached to it. It would be a good idea to get rid of it, but honestly, getting rid of it will take a bit of work for what is likely to be a small payoff. It's a straight, rust-free shell but even then, I doubt I'd get $1000 for it.

The orange car is great, but it's a salvage title due to superficial body damage (got rear-ended). It was repaired long ago and the alignment is dead-on, hence "superficial". It's got a pretty cool story itself, the kid I bought it from got the car from his HS auto tech class. The teacher was a Z/RX7 fanatic so it fit in as one of the shop cars at Gunn HS in Palo Alto. I believe the Z got "restored" there as there are a few signatures in the hatch, underneath the carpet. I've been meaning to track them down but haven't done so yet. Hmm, maybe it would be fun to find one of those guys and see if they'd like it...

I planned on have 2 (running) Zs, the 240Z and 260Z, in the garage but that hasn't quite happened yet. I think you hit it on the head, it's just too many projects at once. Maybe even downsizing to one Z might be a good idea. :(

Hey Matt,

I'm using MAP. All I did was run some vacuum hose from an open port in my Cannon manifold to the MJ unit. Simple! The signal is a little bit noisy at low engine speeds but I'm not running a vacuum box at the moment, just a direct run of hose. BTW, I'm using a stock cam so using MAP with an aggressive, high-overlap cam would be more difficult.

This is what I would have guessed ;) I have an agressive cam, I'm going for TPS but to install it could be challenging. It gives me a project for this winter. I'll see then how it goes.

If I'm really brave, I'll try afterwards MAP & use TPS as correction if required. I need to start wiring everything first. I'm also getting rid of the stock fan to get some room for VR sensor. Fun project in perspective!

Thanks for your quick reply ;)

This is what I would have guessed ;) I have an agressive cam, I'm going for TPS but to install it could be challenging. It gives me a project for this winter. I'll see then how it goes.

If I'm really brave, I'll try afterwards MAP & use TPS as correction if required. I need to start wiring everything first. I'm also getting rid of the stock fan to get some room for VR sensor. Fun project in perspective!

Thanks for your quick reply ;)

Not a problem!

I had thought that there are TPS units available that "bolt-on" to Webers? For example, something like this?

By the way, you can still run a clutch fan while making room for the VR sensor! I found that the 280ZX fan is spaced further away from the engine, and gave me plenty of space for the VR sensor. Relevant thread HERE. I'm not sure how hard it would be for you to get a ZX fan, but they're very cheap and plentiful around here. I paid something like $20 shipped for the fan and clutch. Be careful with fan-to-radiator clearance.

The clutch fan works great and I didn't have to add extra relays, wires, fans, switches, etc. I was very happy with the outcome! :D

The TPS sensor you're showing me is made for later DCOE. With 18's there's no tab to mount the support. The only support available is the one for the bolt to synch the carbs.

Instead, I'll use a BMW E46 TPS I've got for cheap with a pattern easy to reproduce: the same diameter as the rod for linkage with only a flat. I should be able to make a quick bracket, shape the rod end and be good to go.

Regarding the fan, I believe I've already got a ZX fan. I've got room but some extra won't be bad. The fan is also not such in good shape, I'm suspecting it to start failling (white'ish areas start to show up on corners). I've already a thermoswitch hooked up, relay ready and the whole wiring done for the e-fan project since I've got already one in addition to the regular unit. So it should be easy enough to do.

The TPS sensor you're showing me is made for later DCOE. With 18's there's no tab to mount the support. The only support available is the one for the bolt to synch the carbs.

Instead, I'll use a BMW E46 TPS I've got for cheap with a pattern easy to reproduce: the same diameter as the rod for linkage with only a flat. I should be able to make a quick bracket, shape the rod end and be good to go.

Regarding the fan, I believe I've already got a ZX fan. I've got room but some extra won't be bad. The fan is also not such in good shape, I'm suspecting it to start failling (white'ish areas start to show up on corners). I've already a thermoswitch hooked up, relay ready and the whole wiring done for the e-fan project since I've got already one in addition to the regular unit. So it should be easy enough to do.

Nice, sounds like you have a solid plan! :2thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got off my butt and decided to post my JCCS content!

My fiancee and I set off from the SF Bay Area on the Thursday before the event. The first leg of the trip was San Bruno to San Luis Obispo, about 222 miles.

I decided to take the day off work so that I could finish up a few things. One of those things included finally painting the valve cover!

Here it is drying, just hours before departure.

LeonsCamera5.jpg

While the valve cover was off, I stripped the fuel rail of its ugly tin-foil wrap.

LeonsCamera6.jpg

I had bought some high-temp tape from an auto-parts store and decided to re-wrap it. The result wasn't much better than before, still looked like tinfoil, except this time it was shinier... :rolleyes: This issue was taken care of, but not until the day before the show.

And we're off! This is CA85, driving through the San Jose area. We left around 4pm, hoping to catch the awesome Thursday farmer's market in downtown SLO.

LeonsCamera11.jpg

Gauges, check.

Hey, it's 6 o'clock somewhere right? Good thing I didn't take a photo of the speedo or tach, as neither of those were in working order at the time! Speed was judged "by eye". :D

LeonsCamera12.jpg

Shortly thereafter we made a pitstop, about an hour into the journey. The car gets loud on the highway and we wanted a few snacks (the Z was hungry as well). Took my "default" pitstop exit when traveling on 101, East Dunne Ave. in Morgan Hill. We went to TJ's while the Z munched on some Techron.

Took the time to snap a few going through Salinas Valley.

LeonsCamera13.jpg

LeonsCamera19.jpg

LeonsCamera21.jpg

LeonsCamera24.jpg

Getting closer, probably 50-60 miles from SLO at this point. Now you may be thinking, why the hell is the driver taking photos? Well, the co-pilot seems to have automotive narcolepsy - as soon as she's in a car, she's out for the count. :lol:

LeonsCamera30.jpg

I will say, she's a great sport and does her best to keep me company. I don't mind, sometimes it's nice to just (relatively) quietly cruise through the landscape. But damn did I miss having a radio with a SEEK function! That's what it's all about though, taking a memorable road trip in a loud, smelly old car with the original radio and no AC (more on that later).

As it got darker, I finally got to put the new HIDs into action. Man, what a difference, I could see stuff! Sorry, no night shots, that would be a bit difficult to do!

Finally, we arrived in SLO safe and sound (phew) with no breakdowns or tickets. The ol' Z ran great the entire way, albeit sucking up gas since the carbs were jetted piggy rich, AFR meter showed 11-12AFR at cruise. :o

We got there after 8pm, parked downtown and hit the farmer's market. Got some fresh fruit to snack on as well as some long-awaited dinner.

Mmmm, savory dinner crepes...

homer-drool-350x244.png

The inn called me and said we gotta check in, so we finally pulled in around 930pm to settle down and rest for the evening. The weather was great, warm but cooled down during the evening. The room was still friggin hot but aired out quickly. We ate and passed out for the night. A fun Friday hanging out in SLO was ahead of us.

Stay tuned! :)

Leon, looking good. Glad to hear the trip went well. Hopefully I am in my last day here of 16-18 hour shifts at work due to the storm from last week.

I have got the MJ all hooked up and I need to run a line to the MAP sensor, I plan on putting a small fuel filter inline to clean up the noise. I will post what I come up with once done. I am sure I am going to contact you about MJ.

Leon, looking good. Glad to hear the trip went well. Hopefully I am in my last day here of 16-18 hour shifts at work due to the storm from last week.

I have got the MJ all hooked up and I need to run a line to the MAP sensor, I plan on putting a small fuel filter inline to clean up the noise. I will post what I come up with once done. I am sure I am going to contact you about MJ.

Thanks Clive. Holy crap that is ingenius! I may have to steal your fuel filter idea... :cheers:

Ask away and good luck. Hope you guys are safe and doing well.

Thanks, all is well here. You will be first to know outside of Rags and Cygnusx1 - the L30 started up today! I will update my thread tonight.

Sweet! Good to hear you all are doing well. Looking forward to seeing that Z roar!