HybridZ

Best V8 Manual Shift Feel?

lakehaze

I've got the V8 bug, and I've been lurking Hybrid. Loads of info here, but the one concern I have doesn't return much in the search.

What's the silkiest manual transmission for a light-V8 s30?

I'm planning a relaxed V8, no high output goals, maybe 200-300bhp? 'Cause V8s are fun even at low speed. Something reliable, light, with EFI, Probably an LTx, but I've been eyeing some LSx rolling chassis.

But will the t-56 cut it for shift quality? If the power is low enough, are there silkier reliable options, z32, supra? Is a Tremec TKO an improvement on shift feel?

If it's going to shift like a truck-like Sunbird GT, or clunky 99 Mustang shifter, then I'm pulling the plug right now.

(Will test drive every manual v8 I can, as soon as I get back to the States.)

Silkier? What are you looking for? Close ratio? Short throw? What car is the trans going in? Be specific.

I have used 89 Camaro WC T5 transmissions on two 1972 240Z SBC V8 projects. Both engines had mild street cams. Maybe 300 HP on a good day. I use shortened stock Camaro shifters, Camaro slave and Tilton 7/8 MC. Shifts smooth like a factory car. It is a daily driver.

The T5 fits with room to spare. The only mods required were recessing the tunnel slightly for throwout arm clearence (see JTR) and enlarging the shifter hole on the driver's side to clear the shifter base.

Edited by Miles

I'm looking for a 280z shell to receive the engine and trans.

I'm not sure how specific I can be about something as subjective as shift feel. I think it's unrelated to ratios and short throw kits.

Silky... Crisp? 'Like a glove', smooth? I'm of the opinion that American manual transmissions feel removed and cumbersome compared to my Japanese manuals. My Hondas, z31, AW11, and AE86 all feel 'silky', like the stick is connected directly to the machine. The gates are predictable and intuitive, like the shifter is reading my mind and sucks the stick into the next gear. American throws feel distant, and uncoordinated, with lots of distracting play. I haven't driven many American manuals, (Just a Sunbird and FoxII Mustang), so maybe I just got unlucky. It's possible that this is just personal taste, but I've never encountered an import tranny that felt as lifeless and interrupted as those two trannies. Oh, except for my 88 Toyota pickup; that felt quite clunky.

I'm confident that after the swap, a GM T-series will shift like a factory GM car. That's my concern; will the T-series feel like the Mustang? Can anybody vouch that a GM feels more like a Honda than like a Ford? Is there a transmission option that will feel intuitive like my imports? Or is clunkiness the price to pay for sturdiness?

Does anybody else share the opinion that American cars shift 'clunky'? Or am I just crazy?

In school I owned a 66 MGB roadster and a 73 MGB GT. Shifting was very linear and smooth with just a flick of the wrist.

Do a search here at HybridZ for transmissions that are known to swap into the Z and then go drive a cars with those transmissions.

Ive got a 2003 Cobra, and i used to have a 92 mustang. The T56 (at least in the mustang) feels almost identical. This is with a Pro 5.0 shifter, but its not a silky smooth transmission, but honestly thats the way i like it.

TBH, the only way youre going to get silky smooth shifts is to sacrifice on overall throw and preciseness of the shifts

Yeah, it looks like I'm just going to have to wait until I'm back in Used Car Heaven(USA) before I'm able to sort out what is possible. This topic is just too subjective.

TBH, the only way youre going to get silky smooth shifts is to sacrifice on overall throw and preciseness of the shifts

I figured that silky/crisp = precise. This just goes to show how subjective the topic is.

Thanks for the help anyway :)

Lower power cars have lighter gearboxes with lighter parts which helps give smooth, light shifting. If you are going V8 then really you are limited to those boxes which fit or can be adapted to a particular motor. Oil type can make a difference to shift feel too.

Yeah, it looks like I'm just going to have to wait until I'm back in Used Car Heaven(USA) before I'm able to sort out what is possible. This topic is just too subjective.

I figured that silky/crisp = precise. This just goes to show how subjective the topic is.

Thanks for the help anyway :)

Very subjective topic indeed,, but my MazdaSpeed MX5 (Miata for the rest of the world) 6sp is very smooth, light, and precise. The '90 Mustang 5 speed I drive now and then is not as light to move, the throws are longer, and the "gate" is wider. Some of this may be the weight of the gears you are moving and the length of your shifter. If "silky" and "smooth" and "fast" are criteria, then consider the automatics.

g

Very subjective topic indeed,, but my MazdaSpeed MX5 (Miata for the rest of the world) 6sp is very smooth, light, and precise. The '90 Mustang 5 speed I drive now and then is not as light to move, the throws are longer, and the "gate" is wider. Some of this may be the weight of the gears you are moving and the length of your shifter. If "silky" and "smooth" and "fast" are criteria, then consider the automatics.

g

FWIW, you don't move any gears when you shift, unless it's into reverse.

the tko is a step in the wrong direction if you want better shift feel, they are real notchy, but they do hold up to alot of power. The t5 and t56 are going to be you best bet as long as you keep the stock shifter, and using a better fluid helps to. I've personally used Honda atf in the t56 and notice an improvement.

Thanks guys for the perspectives.

Noted that the TKO is in the wrong direction, thanks. No idea where'd I'd be able to test one of those.

I'm still pondering. I'm probably destined for a t-56, if for swap simplification only, but I'm still searching. I'm off to google 'z33 transmission'.

You will not find any american stick shift that doesnt shift like a truck.My z has a l28 turboed and I run 82 280ZX NA trans because i use the car for open track days -no drag racing.Wiith redline mtl oil in it the shift action is nice.If your are expecting an american trans that shifts like a honda s2000 trans there are none.probably the best trans for your application would be a WC T5.I used to be a ford dealer tech -i know t5's well.they can take alot of abuse-but they dont shift like an asian trans.

My f-body t56 does shift like a truck, I might try some different fluid and see if it gets better, using normal ATF right now. You can still shift it pretty quickly, but it's not quite as pleasing as some other cars I've driven. I've heard that the GTO's and corvette's got better syncros and shift more nicely, I've not verified this though.

The GTO trans has a different shifter location, so if you need the f-body location(I'm not sure about a Z, my LS1/t56 in in an rx7) I believe you have to mix and match some parts.