HybridZ

Modernized Dash?

zohanisback

Hey guys! I want to modernize my dastun dash to look something more like: http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/protour73/Good%2520Guys%2520Show%25202008/GoodGuysShow045.jpg

Does anyone have suggestions on what dashes I should use or modifications I can do with the stock dash? I basically want the dash to tilt back instead of being so vertical (looks older). I've been contemplating this for a long time, just not sure what the best way to pull it off is. Suggestions?

Creations:

Yeah, I was just trying to show an example of a modern dash.

Miles:

I just haven't found very many pictures of the installs. I don't mind the 240sx dash swap, but I was hoping for something different.

Does anyone know of any other dash swaps with pictures on the web?

You can buy a Tomahawk Z dash cap. Rory has resurfaced on ebay and is selling kits in the kit car and Z car sections. I'm sure he would sell dash caps. Not really modern but different and easy to install.

Here is a link to a page with a picture of one on my car. http://www.reactionresearch.com/280yz/danjuday/KCB13P29.pdf

Also, John Washington sells 250 GTO style dashboards. Check out pictures of the Velo Rossa to get a look. He now has these available for the S130 as well.

Edited by Dan Juday

I started looking at the fd3s rx7 dash wondering if that would fit, but never got to the point of measuring. I like the the 240sx dash swap and was going to go that route, but am thinking about just completly rebuilding my stock one with more gauge openings. Most of the other swaps have been of the custom, aluminum nature. What exactly are you considering, something untried and never done before or?

I'm thinking of going a never tried before route. I want to put in a car computer with double-din touch screen and upgraded looks. An RX7 dash would be amazing. But yeah, modern sporty style is the goal (think corvette/mustang/camaro style modern). I don't mind cutting the dash if the "airbag" on the passenger side isn't cut into and the driver side would fit just fine. :D I also wouldn't mind going with some custom work, either. But...definitely not aluminum.

+1 for the fiberglass.

Dash after stripping stock plastic vinyl and wiring curled foam base back into shape:

2011-03-16_15-55-58_841-1.jpg

After filling cracks and various stock holes with foam (A/C vents, cig lighter, glovebox deleted):

2011-09-18_00-57-17_351.jpg

Using combo of fiber cloth and matting I was able to achieve very smooth and constant contours despite the poor condition of the dash was in originally:

2011-09-19_22-58-31_554.jpg

It's worth noting that using more or less layers allowed for flexibility in key places and sturdiness in others. I've considered making a recess for a small fire extinguisher where the glovebox originally was. I plan on having the dash flocked locally which will run around $100-$120.00 with quality black nylon fibers. It's stainproof, reduces glare and is simple to clean.

Couple this with some modern gauges and you have a very modern and sporty looking dash.

HERES a link to a guys build thread showing his flocked 240z dash, pretty dang sharp looking.

Just research what others have done, there are plenty of guides for DIY fiberglass projects on the various car forums out there.

My advice (mind you this is a beginner talking) is use spray adhesive to lay the cloth down and don't use more matting than you need, as it takes a LOT of sanding to knock smooth. Take it slow and think it through before you start and you'll be fine. ;)

Lance, thanks! I'll heed the advice. The only other question I have on fiberglassing is what oz to go with? 6-ounce fiberglass seems popular, but there's so many different options.

It looks like I'll be doing 6-7 layers in the middle and on the very edge of the dash, taking it down to 5-6 for fitting ease. :D I've already started mapping out how I want it to look, but (and don't laugh), my goal is to spend whatever amount of time I need to make it look like this:

http://www.altspace.com/rx8/radar_dash.jpg

OK, gotta go to bed before I'm laughed off the forum. :P

You can buy a Tomahawk Z dash cap. Rory has resurfaced on ebay and is selling kits in the kit car and Z car sections. I'm sure he would sell dash caps. Not really modern but different and easy to install.

Here is a link to a page with a picture of one on my car. http://www.reactionr...ay/KCB13P29.pdf

Also, John Washington sells 250 GTO style dashboards. Check out pictures of the Velo Rossa to get a look. He now has these available for the S130 as well.

Dan:

How does one get in contact with Rory concerning the custom dash? Cannot find the dash on Ebay. Please advise. Thanks.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has dreamed about copying the Mazda dash setup in a Z. I was thinking if I had a spare dash I'd experiment with cutting and fiberglassing. I was thinking just doing just the 3 main gauge pods into the Z dash would look really cool, while in a way keeping sort of the Z look.