HybridZ

Who'd be interested if we made a L28ET trigger wheel?

Matt Cramer

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the spirit of HybridZ, I am being a bit different. I had planned to

us a Microsquirt and EDIS. I had a question posted in the

Microsquirt forums, and as a result I was offered a Sequencer.

I know I could mount the resistors inside the Sequencer, and

eventually that may happen, but for now it seems better put them

in the wiring where the are easier to remove/replace and not

risk the bit of gear that I was SO lucky to get in the first place.

I dont know what pin 32 does on an ms3 but im assuming its a secondary tach input. im also assuming that tach on the relay board is pin 24. if so then it looks good to me. I cant wait to do it with ms2

Just for reference sake Pin 32 is on the MS3X board not the main board....

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't conducted heavy research, but what specifically would be required to run a Coil on Pack setup using the stock L28ET dizzy equipped with this wheel using MS2? Would you need to have a dual wheel setup, or will the single wheel in the dizzy suffice?

I haven't conducted heavy research, but what specifically would be required to run a Coil on Pack setup using the stock L28ET dizzy equipped with this wheel using MS2? Would you need to have a dual wheel setup, or will the single wheel in the dizzy suffice?

You can run COP or CNP with the stock dizzy (just for the optical sensor of course) but only in wasted spark mode (eg you will fire the coils twice as often as needed) but you will need a new wheel if you want to run an EDIS style setup or distributorless.

You can run wasted spark with just the inner ring of teeth on the wheel - this is covered in our guide to using this trigger wheel.

I think wasted spark will be more than sufficient for my application. I already have a Ford EDIS coil pack, so that may be easier to implement rather than trying to configure 6 individual coils that I won't even begin to utilize.

Using this wheel, Megasquirt can recognize engine position more effectively and, assuming your MS2 box is setup for wasted spark, can fire my three coils at the correct time? Is there anything I am missing here?

I'm having sync loss with the new wheel.

VG30ET

MS2 v3.0 + MS2-Extra 3.2.1

Single trigger w/DIY wheel

single coil, distributed spark

From my logs, it appears to be only between 2100-2400 RPM. The majority of sync loss reasons are #2 (missing tooth at wrong time), but there's also a few #5s (1st tooth failed test).

Here are my wheel settings:

b6129d6.jpg

90f266a.jpg

Here's a couple screenshots:

bb8d7aa.jpg

fb4ac38.jpg

Attached is the log. You'll have to get rid of the .txt extension, unless MegaLogViewer is smart.

datalog.msl.txt

Watch out it's huge. An hour or so of driving. About 30 sync losses. I checked most of them, they were between the RPMs I listed.

Diagnostics:

I have it wired according the DIY article. I've got solid grounding and power to MS. However, my CAS wires do go near my plug wires. The plug wires are in good condition. The CAS wires are covered with loom (whatever EMI resistance that has, if any). I've tried routing them as well as I can. I have completely forgotten the wheel logger. I'll report back when I run it...

Edited by BLOZ UP

I've tried the sync loss logger, I have two logs... I can't seem to get anything useful from them...

I know I had multiple sync losses when logging. The screen changed, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I also tried the tach period rejection with liberal settings without much luck. Still got the sync losses. #2s and a #5 here and there. It looks like the #5s happen at various RPMs now, where the #2 is just in that 2200-2400 window.

I've tried rerouting the CAS signal away from the plug wires. It now rests against the fuel rail and is closer to the injectors.

sync2.csv.txt

sync1.csv.txt

post-1233-015870000 1329517748_thumb.png

post-1233-062794500 1329517748_thumb.png

syncloss.msl.txt

Edited by BLOZ UP

That was a 30 minute drive or so. Since then, I've enabled interrupt masking, and I think that has improved it. I also added some loom around the CAS harness. 20 minute drive produced no sync problems. But I will test some more to be sure.

Now if I could only figure out my high req_fuel value, I'd be set. But "I digress..."

Sorry about the messy thread, I thought it was related at first.

Edited by BLOZ UP

• 4 months later...

It depends on the MicroSquirt variant. V1.0 and 2.0s would use OptoIn and VR2; V3.0s are the only ones that can use VR1 input (but they can use the opto input instead). Pull ups are required. I'll see if I can get MicroSquirt and DIYPNP instructions added.

After many delays I should be dropping in the new motor and installing the sequencer

week after next. Looking over the other sets of instructions I have the following mapped out-

280ZX dist harness

Red Switched 12V+

White Pin 30 (OPTOIN+)

Green Pin 4 (VRIN2+)

Black Pin 31 (OPTOIN-) (common return)

• 3 weeks later...

In case someone else decides to try a microsquirt or sequencer, my wiring plan

did work. Now to figure out how to drive the tach. I don't want to use the diode trick,

and while I think I understand what parts are needed for the high voltage tach

driver, I am not sure if that is what I need.

• 1 month later...

Man.....you always have some sort of interesting solutions.

I did some research and still can't find a conventional distributor cap for that Z31 distributor but I will let you know how the "s30red240z VG30 distributor modification" works on the pathfinder distributor.

It is wider so it might interfere with the water housing or heat shielding.