HybridZ

Outrageous Moving Violations As Always

getoffmyinternet

Not in the DMV Handbook  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know that if you rent a little u-haul box truck you automatically have to stop at all weighing stations or it's a misdemeanor?

I've asked several people about this and so far nobody knew, even a few cops! And when you look online it seems to be under much debate because the law is apparently kind of vague. Basically any hired truck intended for transport of goods must stop. Doesn't have to be commercial, the driver doesn't even have to be commercial or paid to move, and I guess what's in the truck doesn't even have to be for sale. In fact, it doesn't even have to be the current purpose, because it only matters that the vehicle was intended primarily for hire. But the law is so vague that if you look up the u-haul handbook, even they are vague about it, simply saying that they don't know if you should stop so you better do so just in case.

So I got a ticket going to Ventura in the smallest box truck they rent. It wasn't dual axle or pulling a trailer or required anything but a regular class C license or anything. If it had been the open bed version apparently it wouldn't qualify. Also, it was completely empty. I told the cop I would drive back around and even offered to open it and show him, but he wasn't having it. He even said that they don't really check you or weigh you or anything, you just have to drive through so they can wave you on.

No warnings or anything. And the ticket nowadays doesn't even give you a court date. The only option on it is to pay the $235 fine, if you want to protest you have to go to the county office and request a hearing. To top it off, if you want to go the traffic school route, you have to pay an extra $60 on the fine, this doesn't include the cost of the traffic school itself mind you, it's just an added bonus for the county if you intend to go that route. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the direction America is going in our future. Makes me want to have kids real bad.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Related only to a ticket, but I was speeding through Disney. Not intentionally mind you, just going home with my wife from dinner in my truck. I had a radar detector, but it was off. Helps having it on! Anyway, I could barely understand the cop, but he comes back with two tickets, one for speeding fair and one for having a radar detector mounted to the windshield.

Apparently, it is against the law to have anything but a Toll pass on your windshield. I couldn't believe it but sure enough I looked up the law. Just sucks to think you could get a ticket for having a GPS on your windshield.

I wish at times we could pull cops over. I've seen so much crap I just shake my head at.

In Texas I just paid a lawyer $75 to deal with court, I showed once, ticket got dropped...... Better than paying $225 for speeding.6 in I also got a lawyer back in the day to get me off of a speeding ticket... 126 in a 55... Yes I got differed judification for 120 days. That was back in 1995.

I wish at times we could pull cops over. I've seen so much crap I just shake my head at.

Every marked vehicle will have an identifier number. Write it down and call the department...

They might not get fined like us, but it will get back to them one way or the other. ;)

In 1995 I lived in California and was issued a ticket for passing a weigh station on my way to work. I was a contractor and worked out of a 12' flatbed Ford F 350. I had been driving past that same one for at least 5 years. The officer (I'm being polite) said because my flatbed was more than 80" wide it qualified as a commercial vehicle. I measured it later that day and it was 79"!!! Anyway, I have many complaints about Cali!! Beautiful state, rediculous politicians (sometimes).

I would take a picture of the truck you rented to court and take your chances with the judge.50/50 the judge might let you off.Alot of judges are looking for criminal intent-you were not intending to break the law and you were not being unsafe.My opinion is that the chp is getting out of hand with writing tickets Its all about the money.

Jeff - here in NYS, technically you can get a ticket for the EZ-Pass on the front glass. It is illegal to hang anything from the rear view mirror too!

It's goofy what happens. On the news here a woman got a ticket because she used her horn to basically scold a cop who was on his laptop and driving.

I've just learned to keep my mouth shut and say yes sir, no sir. Women cops scare me to death.

Edited by JSM

I fail to see the connection between you breaking a state law and America heading down the toilet because of that.

As the law goes, ignorance is no excuse, that aside I think his point is a little grace could have been win, win situation. An uninformed motorist could have been simply warned / educated, officer respect would have remained intact and no harm to ones pocket book.

If revenue generation from the ticket is not really the issue as it is so often claimed, then why the ticket? It wasn't willful disobedience with mal-intent, it was just a mistake. I'd wager to say anyone with the least bit of common sense would go through the weigh station after being pulled over. I know not always.

In our litigious society signs are everywhere. They built a new road by our house and the signs are everywhere. We counted 50 in the ½ mile of road they just laid. It was so bad that it was annoying.

Granted, being an officer is tough job, however, it's still a choice. They could always do something else. My personal opinion is a lot of people get into law enforcement because they get off on the control aspect of others. Just an opinion though. B)

If you think you are being wronged, ask for a shift supervisor. Period they have to show.

I will seriously consider that next time. I was about to snap anyway, refuse to sign it and let him take me away. Sure my week would be ruined but might as well make it a little harder for him to get away with it.

I fail to see the connection between you breaking a state law and America heading down the toilet because of that.

As the law goes, ignorance is no excuse, that aside I think his point is a little grace could have been win, win situation. An uninformed motorist could have been simply warned / educated, officer respect would have remained intact and no harm to ones pocket book.

If revenue generation from the ticket is not really the issue as it is so often claimed, then why the ticket? It wasn't willful disobedience with mal-intent, it was just a mistake. I'd wager to say anyone with the least bit of common sense would go through the weigh station after being pulled over. I know not always.

Well put, my point exactly. What happened to the days where you were let off with a warning? I did everything in my power to correct my mistake and follow the law, but his end game was clearly to give me a ticket for something frivolous. Mal-intent was the key. Laws are supposed to protect the innocent, not imprison us. He knew I had no mal-intent, yet he did not care or have any mercy.

Perhaps you don't understand because you're perfect and you've never broken a law in your life, but for those of us imperfect people out there, it seems that these days it's getting really hard not to. I mean who doesn't get a little worried when they even see a cop nearby? I know (within a reasonable doubt) that I'm not doing anything wrong but I still worry that he's going to pull me over for something, that he'll find something I'm doing wrong that I didn't even know about. And this is one case where that worry is warranted, not just paranoia.

I'm not here to say cops shouldn't have become cops or that we don't need them at all, but they should seriously do it for the right reason. That reason seems to be less and less apparent as time goes. In God We Trust, First Do No Harm, To Protect And Serve, will our children have any clue what these phrases mean? It's becoming quite often hypocritical if you ask me.

I'm fine with education, I wouldn't hold anything against anybody for trying to teach me something to my own benefit. If and when I get pulled over I'm as apologetic as I can be, I'm just unlucky enough to keep getting pulled over by cops that had the compassion trained out of them. Yes, this isn't the first time. About six months ago I also got a j-walking ticket while crossing the street inside the crosswalk lines when the light was green, now explain to me why I deserved that one. I think the ticket was about $175, and in Long Beach, it says on it that if you go to court and lose the case, not only do you have to pay the ticket, but you have to pay a $300 court fee. How's that for bullying? Scared me out of contesting something that was clearly unjust because I knew I couldn't afford the damages if the judge was as hardened as the cop that gave it to me.

And no I've never seen the sign about rentals going to scales before, probably too busy trying not to pile up the 101 any further. But as I told the cop, that was literally my first time ever renting one of those things and was apparently uneducated. I did see it on the way back though now that my eyes were peeled. Significantly smaller and also in a different color than every other highway sign I can think of. Not to mention the bizarre placement, nowhere near the actual scales, just on it's own little wood post somewhere. Forgive me for not being superman.

Edited by getoffmyinternet

I'm with you not against you. I do my best to no longer abuse the law. I finally grew up some,:) man that was hard. Fortuneatly, I have a little more money now and I just go to court. It is quite entertaining to watch some of the cases too.

I'm with you not against you. I do my best to no longer abuse the law. I finally grew up some,:) man that was hard. Fortuneatly, I have a little more money now and I just go to court. It is quite entertaining to watch some of the cases too.

Sorry I was herp derping at bloz up not you.

I've never really been one to abuse the law on purpose, not for lack of wanting to, but I just know I have terrible luck and would get into all kinds of trouble. This is especially one of those situations where I didn't need to be "taught a lesson" by getting an outrageous ticket to start doing the right thing. If I had known about it, I would have done as I was told regardless, I'm not in the business of trying to get away with stupid things like that. I won't even cross the double yellow lines to get out of the carpool lane, I'll just have to live with missing my exit and backtracking, because I know I'd be the one guy that gets caught even though I see other people get away with it constantly. And of course part of it is that I just don't like it when other people are reckless like that, I certainly don't want to turn into one of them.

Sorry I was herp derping at bloz up not you.

I've never really been one to abuse the law on purpose, not for lack of wanting to, but I just know I have terrible luck and would get into all kinds of trouble. This is especially one of those situations where I didn't need to be "taught a lesson" by getting an outrageous ticket to start doing the right thing. If I had known about it, I would have done as I was told regardless, I'm not in the business of trying to get away with stupid things like that. I won't even cross the double yellow lines to get out of the carpool lane, I'll just have to live with missing my exit and backtracking, because I know I'd be the one guy that gets caught even though I see other people get away with it constantly. And of course part of it is that I just don't like it when other people are reckless like that, I certainly don't want to turn into one of them.

Interesting thread. Traffic laws serve a number of purposes. Yep, even the safety of all of us on the road......some times. But often the stop is simply a means of transferring some of your excess cash over to the state. I drive Interstate 10 and 395 in California all the time. I-10 is 140 miles of speed trap from the CA/AZ border at Blythe through Palm Springs. The CHP feeds primarily on truckers, but are not above biting a 4 wheeler every now and then. They deny it, but the CHP does have a quota to make. This is simply income pure and simple.....safety seems to be a secondary item. This end of CA is 90 miles away for two foreign countries...Arizona on the East and Mexico on the South. If you enter California from Arizona...18 wheels or 4.. you have a 70+ speed limit. The minute an 18 wheeler crosses the Colorado River the limit drops to 55 mph.... and yes the CHP are right there ticket book in hand and the first question is "Show me your log book".

Every little town North on 395 has a 25 mph speed limit, Red Mountain, Lone Pine, Big Pine, Independence, Olancha, Bridgeport, Lee Vining, and Coleville; the CHP writes speeding tickets to help support these folks. Don't breeze through these towns at 35mph...ever, even at 1:00am.

Experienced officers develop a sensitivity as to whom might be involved in criminal activity... and then use any shop worn excuse to perform a stop and a search. So.... what sets you up for a stop? One is the car you drive and whether or not you "fit". If you are young, white, black or brown, and driving a high end sports car...Porsche Turbo ... for example, you can expect to be stopped more often that this old scrawny balding white guy. After all, if you are driving an expensive bucket of bling then if follows that you are probably selling dope. A stop is in order....God only, or really expensive attorney, can help you if they find anything. If you are really old looking and driving that 2010 Cadillac Sedan de Ville at 55 mph in the number 2 lane, you can expect a stop and a competency check of sorts. In California, any officer can pull your driver's license if, in his sole opinion, you are "too old" to drive. If your CDL states your age to be 80 and you're stopped driving 90, it's a good bet you'll be walking home as your Cadillac is being towed.

So, how does one drive fast in California and survive without tickets. First of all, don't be stupid. 120mph in traffic will not only save you some time but it will also earn you some time... literally. Drive nondescript cars: I live in a PT Cruiser Turbo HO and a MazdaSpeed Mx5. Do buy a good radar detector, but don't hang it off your mirror or stick it on your windshield.; you will be surprised to know how far away an experienced office can spot those things. Be a smooth driver and don't dodge in and out of traffic. Drive at least one half mile ahead and be alert to everything around you. Correctly adjust both side mirrors.... your Z doesn't have a passenger side mirror? Better get one. A correctly adjusted side mirror will cover your side quarter blind spot and allow you to see both adjacent lanes about one mile back. Keep your head on a swivel around on and off ramps. You would be surprised to know how fast a ChP Mustang, Camaro, Interceptor or Dodge can get up to your speed coming off an on ramp. In my view, the real value of the detector is not to spot that white Camaro on your bumper, but to give you warning that a radar gun is operating over the hill or around the corner... before you actually come into line of sight. A common tactic for ChP in my area is to park just off an offramp and observe traffic. If they spot you, they will give you about 1/4mile before they hammer off the ramp... they often will merge into traffic in excess of 70 mph..and overtake you not directly behind you but along side you. I've watched a CHP Camaro hang in along side a kid driving 80 for about a mile before stopping him. The kid never saw that white Camaro with black doors cruising along side him and about 15 feet back. Easy stop.. not an alert driver.

Ooops, looks like I got off on a bit of a screed. Oh, when you are finally stopped and the officer asks "Do you know how fast you were going?... Remember this is loaded question and there is no way you can answer or not answer it without implicating yourself. But, you really should answer. My stock reply is something along this line.."Yes, officer, I was on cruise control for 77 mph". When he replies "Let me show you 88mph on the gun", take a look at it and sheepishly ask the officer if your new oversize tires you had installed last week had any thing to do with the speed. This is a form of negotiation... In California you want the ticket to be less than 10 miles over posted 55, 65, or 70 mph or if you were really flying, under 100mph.

G

Safety isn't much of a concern. I've never had an at fault accident. I've never had a speeding ticket or any other real ticket either, I'm just plagued by the absurd ones. Wrong place wrong time I suppose. The car choice couldn't really be helped on the last one. Since the cop obviously posts up by the scales, u-hauls are probably his bread and butter. The people that get caught and fined for things the most are the ones that are the most innocent it seems, naive maybe, and didn't know better. As for the other ticket, I was walking soooo, my clothes aren't that out of style are they? I'm sure the real reason was that it was after dark, which means he probably thought he would score with something better like drunkenness or some sort of possession. But when his mission fails he realized I was just an innocent guy walking down the street minding my own business, he went back to his lame excuse for stopping me and went with it. Another factor must have been the fact that it was a slow night because sure enough two other cops showed up as if the one needed assistance, and they all hung out for a while chatting it up.

The only other ticket I got while driving was one for expired registration. Actually, strike that it wasn't expired. I recently renewed it and hadn't gotten the sticker in the mail yet (I ended up having to go to the DMV because it never came). The cop that came out of the bushes behind the on ramp really didn't want to check my registration like he thought I was bluffing but I insisted so he reluctantly went to his bike with a great whiny sigh, and came back saying okay it's current, but you still need to have the right sticker so I'm giving you a fix-it ticket.

It's sad that people will go as far as to pick their car based on blending in. Giving up our freedoms in an attempt to get picked on less by the bullies that rule over us... And yes they do have a quota, it's a fact. I know several cops. Quota. Some of them give out all their tickets for the day at like 9am, then head to a fire station to fall asleep on a lazyboy in front of the tv. So if it's 11 already and you're getting pulled over, you know that cop is really pissed to be there in the first place.

I feel like we will never meet the few good cops because they're off actually doing their jobs. The problem is that there are so few of them that we have to hire more to keep up. It's like we need one more good cop so we hire ten and nine of them are either tailgating you trying to make you nervous or asleep somewhere. Speaking of tailgating, I know a guy that was being tailgated by a cop for a mile once so he thought he was being soft stopped and started to pull over to the side. Then the cop put on his lights and came up, eventually giving the guy a ticket because it was a no stopping zone. Genius. Oh I could go on all day about outrageous moving violations.

Case in point. Due to the recent storm, a local traffic light was out. It's a busy four way intersection. For four days, there was not a soul directing traffic through the intersection. Two of those four days, a sheriff sat in his patrol car, not an 1/8th of a mile away, on that same road, hidden in the bushes, shooting radar. :unsure:

Edited by cygnusx1