HybridZ

Engine oil check ball?

calvin280zxt

My 82 zxt a good 3-4 seconds to build oil pressure after sitting for an hour plus. Check ball probably what do you guys think. Also when warm the car never has a whole lot of oil pressure when warm at low rpm

It could be the check ball. You won't know untill you remove the filter. You might consider the high pressure oil pump springs from Nismo for your pressure problem, or cheat and install a couple of washers in the bolt. In my experience with the L series six cyl, low oil pressure indicates worn main bearings. You probably have 200K+ on that engine, right? My L28ET has 250K+. I had the same problem, and was actually knocking at idle. I have since rebuilt it and have no problems.

I've 225+K on mine, put one sender in, then another shortly thereafter. Apparently the senders freak out if the engine isn't totally warm and you slug it with colder oil and pressures above the range of the transmitter (which mine still will do, at 6500)

Hot, maybe 75-85# at that same rpm.

Shows effectively nothing at idle.

A mechanical gauge is your friend in this case.

• 1 month later...

I just pulled my engine for basically the same thing, it knocks on a dry start for 2-3 seconds while it builds pressure. Then it knocked up around 3k. But today i removed the oil filter and noticed there was only a spring where i'm pretty sure there should have been a ball.

Edited by B. Whisky

I just pulled my engine for basically the same thing, it knocks on a dry start for 2-3 seconds while it builds pressure. Then it knocked up around 3k. But today i removed the oil filter and noticed there was only a spring where i'm pretty sure there should have been a ball.

If you're talking about the port in the side of the block, that would be the bypass valve for when the oil filter won't pass enough oil. It just means that your oil isn't getting fully filtered, if it's getting filtered at all.

Diagrams are in the Engine Lubrication section of the FSM. Apparently the whole thing can be pried out with a screwdriver for replacement.

Doesn't really explain your knocking though.

Well, the 195k+ miles probably contributed. At first it only knocked when i started it after at least an hour or so of inactivity, leading me to suspect extensive wear on the bearings. When i first bought it the po had it sitting out for years and it had no oil register on the dipstick, but i never ran it dry. I did notice that it didnt leak much at all, leading me to suspect poor maintenance (a few other things were pointing me in that direction as well...). It only recently started knocking with oil pressure. I put less than 10 baby shifted miles on it since. Now i need to locate a check ball as well...

• 3 months later...

Installed a mechanical autometer oil psi gauge in my new pullar gauge set up not long ago, oil pressure never gets below ten psi when warm which is acceptable i guess, still getting the few second delay on oil pressure on startup. is the one behind the filter the check ball im looking for?? ive read through the fsm a few times but havent found anything

Edit/ps i have found a mystery leak on the turbo/supply line. Could this cause it to drain back?

Edited by calvin280zxt