HybridZ

Newb Looking for info on a swap

DraggingDatsun

So I have a 76' 280z with a seized block in it and 4 speed trans in it. I'm thinking about buying this 79' 280zx with a turbo 82' motor and a 83' trans and diff. What would I need to put that motor and trans in my 76'? Would I be able to use the brakes, or springs/shock setup? I'm very new to this sorry if this is a dumb thread/question

The motor and trans is a pretty direct swap you may need to trim the hole the shifter goes through for the additional gear some s30s require it others don't. I believe the differential is a direct swap but the brakes springs/shock setup are completely different. I'd suggest the Toyota 4x4 brake upgrade if your worried about your brakes. It must be cold in Ohio right now. Use the search function it comes in handy.

The same L28 engine that is in your z now, is basically what the turbo engine is. Except for the turbo add on parts. It is a direct bolt in swap. You need to figure out if your going to use the engine harness, thats running that engine now. Or are you going to run it with an aftermarket setup.

I'm not sure how you missed the normal assault that comes with asking this question which has already been asked and answered 2.486 billion times on this forum. Consider yourself one of the lucky few and use the search feature to get way more information on the topic than you'd ever care to know. There is a TON of information on this topic and people on here tend to get a bit testy about people joining up and not following the rules on the forum (go back and read them and you'll know what I'm talking about.)

Its not all about psi . Its about having the right a/f that will make u the most power. Get your self a good EMS,Injectors,and intercooler and you would be amazed at how much power you will get. If wanna get some good facts you should probably start off reading stickies aka FAQ section.

thanks guys! what can those motors handle boost wise the new car came with a watercooled T3/T4 hybrid turbo (.63 a/r and a T04B compressor .50 54 trim)

Baby steps... Get it in the car and running first. Take it from experience. Sounds like the PO put some money into it. That could be good or bad. You won't know until it's running.

Hmmm, where did my post in this thread go? Strange...

If the turbo isn't stock then you definitely will have your work cut out trying to figure out what's stock and what isn't, as that will make EVERY difference in tuning the stock EFI.

That said, IF by some miracle your engine is completely virgin other than the turbo and in good shape, then just get an intercooler, rising rate fuel pressure regulator, and manual boost controller and walk the PSI up on a dyno (so you can watch the AFR). 10psi should get you close to 200whp, and you can keep walking up the psi all the way to 250+whp as long as your RRFPR will give you enough fuel. The more you rely on that RRFPR though the stranger it's going to drive, even if all is running as it should. The stock EFI has serious limitations, but that said there's been quite a few people to reach 300whp on the stock ECU. It's doable but takes a lot of time and patience.

All this info is readily available though and I've mentioned at least half of this in a thread that's still on the front page of this forum section....