HybridZ

Turbo on a 76 280z?

MrBlah

So, the 1976 280z I picked up last fall has been sitting in my driveway ever since. I've only been doing interior work to it since then. Well, an opportunity has presented itself to me, so I am at least going to entertain it.

So, to start, when I bought the car, it already had P90 heads on it. Should be an N42 block(I haven't gotten on my ass a looked). Info I have found tells me that P90 heads on an otherwise stock 1976 L28 motor will give me a ~7.4/1 compression ratio. First off, if someone can confirm that, it would be nice. Granted I haven't pulled the head off to have a look at the pistons. Now, said opportunity is to pick up a full aftermarket BAE turbo kit designed for a 280zx. It is a Rajay turbo that was built by BAE Turbo Systems for a 280zx, it has all the piping, accessories, and turbo manifold for a 280zx. Now, I know it should all bolt on. That's not really the issue here.

I know I am a novice when it comes to forced induction. So, I guess it's a question of what all do I need to do? I know I will have more power so a clutch that can take more power will be needed, but I know the car also has a G-Force 4 speed in it, so I expect it to be able to handle the extra power.

Yes I have read the write ups in the FAQ section. I think I may also need to sit and really understand what exactly is going on though.

Edited by MrBlah

Quite a few threads pop up if you put - BAE turbo kit - in the search box.

If the car came with P90 heads, it may also have an F54 block. Worth a look. It might already be a turbo platform.

What is a "G-Force 4-speed"? How is it different from the stock 1976 Nissan 4-speed? Curious...

Don't make assumptions!!! That's the #1 way to ruin something, wether it be building a motor or having a fun night out with friends.

Check the block code. Pull a spark plug and get a flashlight shining in there to check for piston dish. KNOW what you have FIRST, then move on from there.

Check ECU, does it have the NA pinout, or the turbo pinout? What color are the injectors?

P90's don't just magically fall from the sky to land on NA engines. That motor was put together by someone, which means it's now your wonderful job to find out exactly what they did or didn't do.

Edited by Gollum

You are correct! I obviously wouldn't do anything until I knew exactly what was there. Due to the timeline I have given myself to finish the car, I won't have quite enough time to do everything needed for a turbo right now. For a later project it will be!

Thank you all for your insight.