HybridZ

Looking to get an Optima Battery

Red Top, Yellow top, they're both good, But Yellow is deep Cycle, meaning if you crank your engine a lot or run a lot of electorics that drain the battery often, then the battery can take it and still charge back up well. Red top is like a normal battery, just optima's usually have higher Cold cranking amps, which can help provide a better spark, (depending on your system)or better starting. Downside to Optimas is that they ONLY have a ONE YEAR warranty. So if you kill it after the year is up, you're SOL. You might be better off buying a Duralast (autozone) or better a high amp Sears battery with a 10 year warranty.

I used Optimas in my rock crawler and the winch would regularly kill the batteries. Got burned on that warranty, now I just use normal batteries.

Phar

Sorry didn't mean to thread jack but I charged my 300zx battery and BAM, instant start again!

Either I have a slow drain or the battery is crap. I got it free from a neighbor who was gonna toss it so what should I expect right?!

I use the PC680 too and love it... In my old build I had a yellow top, due to stereo gear and it was insanely heavy.

I have the 680 rear mounted under my hatch area and it's so light and small... works great, but I do run a small displacement engine and no significant electronics.

I personally think they r overrated and see just as many of them fail early as often as any other brand.

Are you referring to Odyssey PC680 battery? IF SO whats your own personal use with them? With which vehicle and for how long, any non OEM electronic setups like stereos and amplifiers, also failure time frame and any other remarks to be made of that nature when trying to fix/resolve... Please do share and state something more than said. Would like to know. Heard similar, but nothing serious, just remarks to over look cause that seemed very useless. Also due to the fact that people don't know or read the manuals to maintain certain batteries like Odyssey's or Braille; even to resolve issues of malfunction and simple recharge setups.

Well I've never been a fan of Optima batteries due to them going out or not holding up. Seen Optima's go out plenty of times and heard many complaints about them. Now I've personally used the the Odyssey PC680 in a really bad hack job I 1st did for my 1988 Honda CRX Si when I wire tucked the engine bay and ran the battery to the trunk. No issues what so ever. Even with electronic entertainment added/upgraded and countless times leaving the headlights or interior dome light on. Never after even when I upgraded the wiring on that ride did I have issues.

Now I recently put the Odyssey battery in my 1972 Datsun 240z. 1st time I ever had issue with that battery, found the source though, voltage regulator was killing my battery and of course a few wiring upgrades (still not done, in time though). Runs like a charm with no issues as when I 1st got it all thanks to that new voltage regulator upgrade. So I recommend the Odyssey PC680 if anyone is interested... Just a little info and two cents since the Odyssey PC680 was posted.