HybridZ

Z31 Axle adapters

Daz

Does anyone have any info on the adapter to use z31 turbo axles on my r200. I know MM has some but I'm not looking to pay $400+ for them and than have to wait 6months. I know CheckeredFlag makes some but they're nearly $400 too. Is there a alternative that someone has ? Can someone make some for me and my dad ?

I'll have some soon, and will be doing a discount for people who buy the adapter and the shorter CV shafts through me. The shafts are expensive, and the adapters aren't much cheaper, so if $400 scares you away you're probably not going to like my price on both pieces. The stock Z31 shafts really are too long for the S30 though...

I'll have some soon, and will be doing a discount for people who buy the adapter and the shorter CV shafts through me. The shafts are expensive, and the adapters aren't much cheaper, so if $400 scares you away you're probably not going to like my price on both pieces. The stock Z31 shafts really are too long for the S30 though...

INTERESTED... shoot me price shipped to 91911 Thanks

• Like 1

Shipping will be free. I can't give you an accurate price until I get the total from the machinist. The parts were supposed to be ready to ship Monday, just got off the phone with the machinist and he's trying to get ahold of the cad plating guy.

I should have just left them raw, but I thought plating would be a nice touch so that they don't rust.

When I get the parts and figure out the best price I can give, I'll put up a vendor thread and post on the other various related threads and PM's I have going regarding these parts. If I can remember this one I'll post here too.

definitely looking forward to your post. and a quick question kinda off topic but not really... since im sure im not the only one curious as to WHY the shorter shafts are needed. and under WHAT circumstances are they needed. like are they needed when you're gonna slam the car to the ground? or lower it a bit? or even stock suspension? came across a thread i believe it said sometimes when the suspension bottoms out or something he shafts get shoved into the lsd too much and mess up the gears?...

im sure if i knew WHY the shorter shafts were needed i along with many others doing the z31 diff would be more susceptible to buy your whole kit. ;)

KUDOS mortensen & thanks

The problem is that the stock CV shaft is too long and it binds on both sides. The allowable length gets shorter as the suspension droops, but it doesn't change much throughout the whole range of travel. On my car with billet CV adapters and custom 1/2" longer control arms, I had barely enough room to fit the CV shafts in. From the measurements that I did, I think this means that just about every Z car out there that has Z31T CV shafts has them bottomed out all the time. This means that when the suspension moves, it is flexing bushings and the control arms and putting lots of pressure on the wheel bearings and stub axles, and the differential itself. A bound driveshaft works as a suspension bumpstop and prevents the suspension from moving freely through its range. I think it's a big problem, and we've seen some people complain that they've ruined their LSD, and say this is the reason.

Here is a thread about different CV options where it became apparent that this should be a real problem for Z's running stock control arms. I gave all the measurements for these shafts as I was figuring them out on my car, etc.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/100094-cv-axle-discussion/

Here is a nice install thread with excellent pictures:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103391-z31-axle-swap-r200-clsd-m2-differentials/

Beautiful answer my man.... Standingby for your thread. And if there's a group buy to save $ on the kit of adapter and shortened cv's, hell even better haha.

The problem is that the stock CV shaft is too long and it binds on both sides. The allowable length gets shorter as the suspension droops, but it doesn't change much throughout the whole range of travel. On my car with billet CV adapters and custom 1/2" longer control arms, I had barely enough room to fit the CV shafts in. From the measurements that I did, I think this means that just about every Z car out there that has Z31T CV shafts has them bottomed out all the time. This means that when the suspension moves, it is flexing bushings and the control arms and putting lots of pressure on the wheel bearings and stub axles, and the differential itself. A bound driveshaft works as a suspension bumpstop and prevents the suspension from moving freely through its range. I think it's a big problem, and we've seen some people complain that they've ruined their LSD, and say this is the reason.

Here is a thread about different CV options where it became apparent that this should be a real problem for Z's running stock control arms. I gave all the measurements for these shafts as I was figuring them out on my car, etc.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/100094-cv-axle-discussion/

Here is a nice install thread with excellent pictures:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103391-z31-axle-swap-r200-clsd-m2-differentials/

For the sake of that last few millimeters of clarity - your comments are for the 240Z S30, correct, not the 280Z?

The 280Z S30 seems to have more width between the wheel flanges than a 240Z, as shown by the fact that the R200 plus half-shafts work fine in a 280Z without binding, but the R200 with half-shafts in a 240Z has binding problems.

Assuming that the body and suspension mounting points are the same between the 240Z and the 280Z, the difference must be in the position of the inboard axle flange at the wheel. I believe that the wheelbases are the same between the two models. Maybe the "thickness" of the axle, bearings and flange assembly (hub assembly?) is greater in a 240Z?

If I had the right 240Z parts or a 240Z, I would go take some measurements. But all I have is a 280Z. If someone wants to measure between the flanges, driver side to passenger side, on their 240, I will do the same on my 280. Drive shafts level would be easiest, I assume. Another good comparison would be the measurement from wheel mount surface to inboard flange on both models, on the hub assembly.

Something has to be different, I just haven't seen it called out anywhere. Either that or all 280Zs have binding problems from the factory, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I had binding issues with the Z31 axle swap, and is why I went with Jon's axles. I drive a 280z; in my install thread you will see some rough measurements of what is now available after the axle swap. I never took measurements of the originals, but I recall my driver side axle, with the cage being flipped was a rough/tight fit.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. So the Z31 axles are too long for both models, 240Z and 280Z.

I can't find your install thread. I searched "z31", "280z", "install" and "build" under your name but only a few threads come up, none of them an install thread. Could you post a link?

Edit - Never mind, it's linked in jm's post. Thanks.

Edit 2 - Is your car a 76? For the record. I'm guessing from the turn signals.

Edited by NewZed

I've got tracking numbers for the adapters. They're coming UPS, so probably next Wednesday I'll have them in hand.

Looks like the price on my adapters is going to be $375 per set. If you buy with the short shafts through the next group buy, you can get both pieces for $800. The same offer will apply to anyone who bought in the CV group buy. They can retroactively get the adapters for $300 as a combo price. I won't put the adapters or the adapter/cv combo on the site until I actually have them in hand and can verify that they're good. The machinist said that they came out awesome, so that's a good sign.

I have 16 sets of adapters on the way, and I'm not sure if I'll make any more after this batch is gone.

Edited by JMortensen

The only way to know if you have this problem is to take the spring off of the suspension and lift it up by hand and feel for resistance. It's possible that you have the problem and don't realize it, just like all those people who install an R200 in a 240 with stock u/j halfshafts and don't realize that they have essentially the same issue with the driver's side halfshaft binding. I've seen maybe 5 people even attempt to fix that problem, the vast majority just drive around like there is nothing wrong, like I used to do. Coffey explained that problem on on his website, the CV axle thing is basically the same, but I think it's probably worse in terms of the amount of bind, and the bind being on both sides of the car. The fact that both sides are bound makes it less prone to pull one way or the other, instead the suspension just doesn't work as well and the pressure on the diff and bearings is worse because the diff can't move to the right to alleviate the pressure.

http://www.betamotorsports.com/benchracing/R200handling.htm

Edited by JMortensen