HybridZ

intake adaptor plate

barthur

so i wasnt exactly sure where to post this so i thought id go with the generic engine specific thread. basically i need and adapter plate made that will bolt to an l24 cylinder head and allow me to bolt an l28et intake to it. the ports line up other than where the injector heads stick in but the bolt holes dont. i dont see this being that difficult to make i just dont have the proper equipment to do so. can anyone help?

(i think a solution for the injector heads would be to cut the ports and then angle the hole from what an l28et intake looks like to just the round hole of the l24 head.)

im thinking cnc but if there is other options im hoping not to spend more than like $75-$100 ish.

It'd probably be easier, cheaper, and better to buy a P90 or P90a head which will have the injector cutouts already there. It's not unheard of to buy a good used head for $75-$100. I bought a whole long block F54 with a P79 head for $100, so I'm sure you can get a good head for not too much money.

One of the issues you'll run into using a plate adaptor is that:

1) You just moved the injector further away without changing angle. Not instead of shooting at the back of the injector it'll be more aiming at the port wall.

2) You need to shim the exhaust as well since they share a mounting surface, so now you're looking at TWO plates, not just one.

It'd be easier to either notch the ports on the existing head (not that much work in all honesty, and could be done for less than $50 worth of tools in your own garage) or have the intake welded up and modified to change the injector location and angle, which would most likely leave you needing a new fuel rail, and why not set it up for an easier to upgrade injector type, with an o-ring seal?

I'd personally just notch the head with a die grinder if you're on a budget.

i have a fuel rail and everything already to go on the intake. and about the efi manifold bolt holes.... thats the reason i need the adaptor plate. it is not unheard of to have and intake adapter plate it is meant to be the bridge between the head and the intake which do not normally fit together exactly. the port holes dont even technically have to be the same however in this case they are so i dont see it being a problem.

" thats the reason i need the adaptor plate. it is not unheard of to have and intake adapter plate it is meant to be the bridge between the head and the intake which do not normally fit together exactly."

It is on a Nissan L-Series, same as the non-crossflow Chevy or Ford. They adapt an existing manifold at the carburetor, not the head.

You miss the fact that the Intake AND Exhaust are held in with common studs. If you space one, you space the other.

You wanna do it, do so. It's your engine. Go through the effort and show us photos and let us know how it works.

$75-100? Good Luck with that!

You're seriously best off getting a P90 head. If you're not running a turbo, a P79 head would also work and would be cheaper. Either head has the benefit of having larger valves, a smaller combustion chamber, the latest and greatest head internals, and best of all (in your application), nice factory drilled slots for the injectors. It's pretty common for people to remove the P79 head and install a P90 head from their late L28, so there's quite a few P79 heads out there... and they aren't exactly considered a "desireable" head due to the exhaust liners, which in reality doesn't hurt flow too much and only cause a problem in turbo situations... you could probably sell your head for about the same afterwards, depending on which one it is.

k wait do any of those head work to put right on to the l24 also i have an l28et that im pretty sure runs but not positive but it could use A LOT of work what do you all think. sorry for my lack of open mindedness i was just set on an idea before but it just seems more work than its worth.

k wait do any of those head work to put right on to the l24 also i have an l28et that im pretty sure runs but not positive but it could use A LOT of work what do you all think. sorry for my lack of open mindedness i was just set on an idea before but it just seems more work than its worth.

I thought I have read here about valve clearance issues with the smaller bore of the L24. Will need to eye brow the block for clearance of the L28 valves.

As for an adaptor plate, maybe talk with these guys:

Extrudabody weld plate

They could maybe help you out.