HybridZ

Are monoballs really necessary in the rear?

After having coilovers for a few months, I'm wondering if my pillowball mounts are really necessary in the rear. In the fronts, when the wheels turn to the right or left, the whole shock actually pivots on the monoball, so I can see it's necessary for the front.

But in the rear, that never really happens. Is it really necessary? Either way, I'm running T3 camber plates all the way around which incorporate monoballs into their plates.

Yes, they are necessary for the strut to change its angle as the suspension compresses and extends. Not necessary to allow for twisting, so you could replace the monoballs with a big rubber bushing and be OK, but you can't replace the monoball with a solid insert. Well, you can, it's just not a good idea and something will break very quickly.

you could replace the monoballs with a big rubber bushing and be OK

My Kei office coilovers have a rubber bushing on the rear, my friend thought it was weird since most come with monoball. I just knew it needed some movement for compression.

Edited by BluDestiny

Don't mean the thread jack but I'm doing s13 Stances all around. Will I need to get pillowball mounts? I know when I turn the front wheels the coilovers will be threading up and down right? :confused:

I have the Zccjdm camber plates.

Edited by mattausten23

Most of the better camber plates (adjustable pillow ball, aka, monoball, aka spherical bearkngs) incorporate a bearing that allows for the rotation of the suspension about an axis through the upper "pillow ball" and the lower ball joint. The spring usually has the weight of the car on it the perches dont often move. Plus youre also supposed to lock them down. This second bearing is there to keep from trying ro wind and unwind the spring when the wheel is turned.

When the suspension is compressed the ball joint swings out nearly perpendicular to the centerline of the car (think trans tunnel) The upper mount stays fixed to the body. This makes a rotating or deflecting part necessary. The factory used bushings, and without going into too long of a discussion bushings last a long time are cheaper and dont allow the suspension to move freely.

Any control arm swings in an arc. Just like the tips of your fingers do when you flap your arms like a bird.