HybridZ

Pics wanted: Racing Harness w/ roll bar

MidnightRider

I'm looking for pics to better understand how racing harnesses are installed in s30's. I want to use a strut bar instead of harness bar to keep the shoulder straps at the proper angle, because my car won't have a roll cage. This isn't a race car or autocross car but I still intend to run a safe set up even if it isn't the most ideal set up.

By roll bar, I mean strut brace**. Can't figure out how to change the topic title.

Edited by MidnightRider

Safest way to do it is to roll bar but I couldn't afford one so I made my own version of the PDK strut bar for like 25 or 30 bucks. You can see more on how I built it in my signature link. Speaking of which I really need to update haha. It is removable to.

post-4199-079129800 1339098587_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240zBoy

Safest way to do it is to roll bar but I couldn't afford one so I made my own version of the PDK strut bar for like 25 or 30 bucks. You can see more on how I built it in my signature link. Speaking of which I really need to update haha. It is removable to.

That's what I plan on doing. It gets it at the same angle (which is what's important, a harness isn't going to do any good if it can whip up in the event of an accident) on an s30 so I don't see why a harness bar would be necessary on a street car.

Edited by MidnightRider

The 240Z has mounting locations for a hardness bar that puts it at the right angle and allowed secure mounting with 3 bolt on each side. We built a custom one to get it up to the Dragon (roll cage material was on order). The seats are Bride Stradias and the harnesses are Crow 6 pts.

Excuse the dirtyness... Heavy rain the night before.

z_hatch_2.jpg

Edited by rnye

• 1 month later...

Disclaimer: I am necro-posting (for the 2nd time!) because I haven`t been able to find my answer in the "standard search functions." :(

I can say without a doubt that there are many experienced people who will ***** about your placement of the seatbelts with your aftermarket harness bars. It`s not for me to validify if their comments are legit or not, but simply to say that they make every potential engineering argument in favor of you changinng the angle of your seat bets and of the the seat itself.

And is the original supporting data for spinal compression injuries valid??? That is for you to decide. For myself, I will look at the potential angle between the spinal oolumn and the seat belt, including the seatbelt routing through the seat itself, before making any final descisions.... but then again, what do I know?

But you know....., I was originally searching to see if the Corbeau Forza W (with its 20" waist width and 24" shoulder width would fit comfortably in an S30) car... Or should I stick with the Clubman seats???

But you know....., I was originally searching to see if the Corbeau Forza W (with its 20" waist width and 24" shoulder width would fit comfortably in an S30) car... Or should I stick with the Clubman seats???

That won't fit, it's 2 inches too wide at the shoulders. 22 inches is tight enough to rub the door when centered.

• 10 months later...

I'm going to bring this back from the dead. I have a similar dilemma, I don't really want the added weight of a half cage and I'm only going to be driving around on the street. I want to use the the strut tower bar to mount the should harness straps since it has the proper angle for safety, however I'm not sure which rear bar would be my best / safest bet. I emailed PDK and they no longer make their bars. My old MSA bar seemed solid but since it's adjustable it might make it weaker? Top end makes a triangulated bar (below) but it has an extra piece of medal welded where the straps would go causing the straps to not be centered.

!B9M6Fig!2k~$(KGrHqYOKnUEy0FyLLskBM5Fj7z

Anyone have any suggestions for a rear bar that would work? Normally I could care less about adding a racing harness to cruise around town but the original shoulder belts are 40 years old and appear to have a decent amount of sun damage.

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~

I ran the configuration pictured below for a very short time .

Prior to my first track day it was all abandoned- totally unsat for any tech inspection.

Better than lap-band only though.

attachicon.gif2013-01-23_17-39-39_782.jpg

I plan to do something like this with the stock seats, purely to keep me planted at autocross, no intention to ever run on the street.

The shoulder harnesses will see a 10 or 20G load in a frontal impact.  If you weigh 200 lbs. that's 2,000 to 4,000 lbs. and if you have a passenger you should double that number on the bar.  Do the math on the load capacity of a tube across a 40" span and you'll find that none of the harness bars sold can handle those numbers.

• 1 month later...

The shoulder harnesses will see a 10 or 20G load in a frontal impact.  If you weigh 200 lbs. that's 2,000 to 4,000 lbs. and if you have a passenger you should double that number on the bar.  Do the math on the load capacity of a tube across a 40" span and you'll find that none of the harness bars sold can handle those numbers.

@johnc : What should one do then at this point? Is there a specific type of tubing that should be used for the Harness bar? While I rarely have people in the car with me, I would like to know that they are safe in case of an accident.

Oh yeah, easily...

Me and Bob Heckendorf, or Larry Mason EASILY exceed the cargo weight rating of the S30.

Fat dudes find stiff springs aren't as "choppy and objectionable like a truck buckboard" either...