HybridZ

Starting my (re)build!

So I own a Supra but thanks to an idiot Sears driver in a work truck it got bent pretty good. I also own a 240Z with a swapped 383 SBC and T56 using a VLSD R200. I never liked the SBC much. The carb secondaries refused to open, the 3.7 gearing was awful for the motor, and the T56 (my second!) has bad synchros. The first T56 arrived having had the chip magnet go through the gears - toast. I really like forced induction, I mean REALLY like it. I also like tuning EFI. The SBC allowed none of this although I did amass the intake parts to switch it to EFI and I had an AEM 1010 ECU on the shelf. Turbo was an option with this motor but... meh.

After the Supra was wrecked I was pretty depressed. 3 years of fighting with Sears and other things really sucked, I'd spent more money and hours on the Supra than you can imagine and it was immaculate. Issues with Z and having the ignition fry itself didn't help. I just couldn't bring myself to work on my cars any more.

Well, I think I'm finally ready to do something. I have what's left of the Supra on my lift and it looks like many of the perceived issues with swapping in the 2JZ have been solved by members here. that I have a friend who near weekly sends me links to vids of 2JZ swapped into whacky things has certainly helped! I'll post some pics later but right now I'm researching and sourcing parts to do this. Below is my short list ohmy.gif

Stub Axles - these are coming in a 39 spline version that doesn't taper like the ZXT stubs do. The guy has them available, is responsive, and mine should be here in less than two weeks!

Subframe - this will allow me to bolt in the 2JZ. Requires welding but you can't have everything I guess laugh.gif This has been ordered and I expect it to be here in the next couple of weeks.

Brakes - currently I have Outlaw circle track brakes on 5 lug stubs in back. No parking brake sucks! Forget Willwood spots, they suck worse. This hasn't been ordered yet but it's high on my list unless someone else has a better idea. Front will remain Outlaw.

Wiring - this guy does custom work and can minimize the harness down to nothing! Not ordered and not yet spoken to him but he's recommended many places. I will use an AEM ECU, likely purchasing the V2 box.

Not sure what I wll do for fuel, I have an aluminum cell in it now setup for a carb. I have larger 1Kcc injectors, a custom intake, and a Q45 TB sitting that I may or may not put on the car. Intercooler is also up in the air, it will be honking huge I suspect as my datalogging on the Supra busted a few myths about intercooler sizing. I like what Z-Gad has in his cool.gif

I'll be doing an R230 diff from an Armada using a 300ZXTT VLSD. Tire height between the Supra and the Z is near exactly the same and the Supra had a 3.1, the Armada setup will be 2.94. I have a line on a TT rear now, not yet searched out an Armada diff. I will be using my V160 6spd, I may shorten the shifter as I don't want to cut a NOS console, I may move the motor forward to accommodate the shifter too. I will want to keep the ABS sensors and mount some up front, I have a RaceLogic box that saved my life a few times already that I WILL want in the Z for sure and it requires sensors at all 4 wheels!

I have a smaller turbo for the 2JZ that I may use in place of the 71GTQ, it's 61mm. I also have a fully ported new head and bigger HKS cams. Cams alone on my previous setup were supposedly capable of getting me to 800RWHP from the 720 I was at when I ran out of airflow. I made nearly 600RWHP on pump gas with some methanol, I'd love to run two tanks but space is an issue I suspect. Car is caged already thankfully!

This may take awhile but I'm moving again I think. Big thanks to Z-Gad and to Speedy for their help on the differential as this was KEY! I want the car to drive much like my Supra with a thousand lbs removed and the Armada should do it as well as be bulletproof. Z-Gad confirming that the V160 fits was also huge, so many people made it sound impossible or requiring tons of fabricating that his confirmation was a load off my mind. Only a shop in OZ could I find that had done it in a Z and they made it look really hard, somewhere I have that magazine article scanned. Nice too that Beta and others are offering parts for these cars to solve the hurdles, they will be getting my cash for sure. Fingers crossed this goes well. I will swap all the rear parts first before pulling any motors and try to take my time. Sadly time is the one thing I'm shortest of on this project but I'm looking forward to it for sure. Wish me luck!

Edited by BLKMGK

I've not got pics handy but there's a vid on Streetfire. That was a pump gas run on MTs and a T78 turbo which i later switched to a 71GTQ and 4inch exhaust, my intent had actually been to move to a 61mm turbo for street driving as it gave more power under the curve. That was my first (and last) full run on MTs that I had borrowed and at the top of the track the car drifted left badly - you can hear the crowd. I gathered it up and kept my foot in it but I needed to change undies after. If I'd known that was going to be my last trip to the track with the car I might have kept going. I later found a failed left rear wheel bearing, I suspect that side was shifting and dragging the brake! I really just wanted a 10second slip and a good trap out of the car that trip and I got it. On race gas with a better driver I'm pretty sure those numbers would be way better.

From the firewall forward the Supra is bent but the rest is in perfect shape, drivetrain is perfect but the intercooler was trashed :( It's fixable with a pile of cash. an SC300, a MKIII Supra, and other ideas have crossed my mind of course. However emissions here is a PITA and the Z is the perfect home for the drivetrain I think now that others have forged the way so well.

Oh, the 2step on that run wasn't tuned hence the fireballs and I hadn't setup the antilag. AEM later sorted the 2step out better and it was smooth at the line. I did get to run the car at an 1/8th mile track later and the poor starter nearly crapped himself when I used the antilag. I was trying to tune it that day to keep the car in boost and not bog off the line - the W/G was opening at the line right at the starter's feet ohmy.gif I had people coming to me in the pits asking me WTF I had done. This build will route the W/G into the exhaust to tone it down some. I likely will stick to a smaller exhaust too as I gained nothing but noise moving to a 4inch in the Supra.

Some updates... guy selling me the 300ZX TT diff is getting squirrely so I may still be looking. Local yard wanted $700 and I almost burst out laughing. I have yet to locate an Armada rear, I have feelers out on that now. The Silvermine brake setup has apparently got the bleeders upside down which stinks but I think no one else has a setup that allows for parking brake and 5lugs so I may deal with it. Unless I find something better in the next few days I'll probably spring for this. I figure when I get the stubs and flanges in I'll install them with the brakes and then sort the rest of the diff situation out. Once the rear is setup I'll start planning to pull motors and transmissions. I'm going to take my time and try to do it right, my personal life keeps me pretty busy these days but I miss turning wrenches in a big way.

Armada rear differential with 2.9 gears in it will be headed my way next week. Likewise I now have tracking numbers for a VLSD 300ZX TT rear and axles. My stub axles haven't yet shipped nor has my subframe from Beta but I wasn't expecting them here yet so no big deal. Doing research I think I'm correct that the rear sump oil pan on the car now will work - awesome! I'm also eyeing the various cast and sheetmetal intakes all over eBay for the 2JZGTE, I have a modified stock one sitting too as well as a Q45 TB. I don't know what I'll do for an intercooler yet but that's down the road. I've sourced at least two places that will do custom wire harnesses so that's a relief although not cheap. A friend of mine may be a dealer for AEM and so could hopefully get me an ECU but I've yet to ask him.

When the diffs arrive I'll be speaking to the shop that did Speeder and Z-Gads differential work. Shipping is going to kill me but I know these guys do good work. I've not yet ordered brakes but that's bubbling to the top of my list. I measured my tire height and the height on the Supra and both tires were nearly exactly the same so this car ought to feel an awful lot like my Supra did when driving, most excellent! For those considering this I'm seeing 2JZ to 350Z 6speed and T56 6speed adapters on eBay. I don't know how good those trans would be with this engine but they cost buckets less than the V160 and V161!

One bummer - looking over the motor tonight I noticed that where a belt tensioner bolted to the engine on the driver's side the mounts are snapped off. These bosses are in a hunk of aluminum mounted on the block, I'm sure I can swap it. I may try to have it repaired when the engine is out. The motor ran after the accident so I know it's good but this is a bummer to find damage. The rest looks solid though thankfully and I may begin pulling exhaust and driveshaft from the Supra this weekend. When that's done I may swap the 240 onto the lift and begin pulling parts off of it. Brakes and stubs will be done first, diff may require a little welding, then the engine work although I might pull it early so it's not such a lump to push around :(

Lots to sort out still!

Ha, I've got to find a good place to host pics before posting any! So far it's mostly me just ordering parts right now.

I did break down and order the brakes, I figure when the stubs show up I'm going to want to swap all of that on anyway. I pulled the crushed radiator and condenser out of the Supra today and disconnected a bunch of the wiring and plumbing. I dropped the driveshaft and full exhaust too. Managed to have the condenser fall over on the Z while pushing it back in and scratched the door. <sigh> car needs a little paintwork anyway so I guess that scratch will be part of it eventually. Really tough with both the Supra and Z not running and stored together as I have to push them in and out. when I get the drivetrain out of the Supra I'll move it over, put the Z on the lift, and store the 911 under it so i can work more easily. I'll have to have a shop do a little work on the Z to mount the R230 and I may swap out the existing fuel cell for something more suited to EFI, I've not decided. I will say that wow there's a TON of wires and plumbing on the Supra that I'm sure hoping not to have to mess with lol!

Edit: Oh boy, spotted something damn nice while hunting 2JZ parts on eBay! If this shiny follows me home the Z progress will slow for sure but it won't stop. Stay tuned :D

Edited by BLKMGK

300ZX TT diff has arrived along with ZX TT CV axles. This is one heavy beast and I expect the Armada diff to be even heavier! I'll be cleaning the rear cover on this sucker in preparation for use. Parts from Silvermine have also begin to arrive, brackets to mount calipers, some brake hoses, and misc. hardware. No sign yet of the billet stubs and flanges.

I'm told I'll need some sort of end piece to hold pieces of the CV axles together, need to research that. As soon as their site comes back up I'll also be ordering the billet aluminum mustache bar from TechnoToytuning. Hope to pull drivetrains here soon.

Is anyone looking for a nice built 383SBC, T56, and R200 VLSD? I'll have ZXT CV axles, mustache bar, and ZXT stubs drilled for 5lug available too. Live in Northern VA and am not willing to ship lol. Oh, I have a TPIS intake, fuel rails, and TB available as well, also a TB designed to replace a Holley carb that flows 1K CFM or so - this would require an intake with injectors obviously.

post-46-094017100 1340241090_thumb.jpg

Edited by BLKMGK

Put it in the for sale section. I am sure someone would want a whole plug and play install like that.

Mike

300ZX TT diff has arrived along with ZX TT CV axles. This is one heavy beast and I expect the Armada diff to be even heavier! I'll be cleaning the rear cover on this sucker in preparation for use. Parts from Silvermine have also begin to arrive, brackets to mount calipers, some brake hoses, and misc. hardware. No sign yet of the billet stubs and flanges.

I'm told I'll need some sort of end piece to hold pieces of the CV axles together, need to research that. As soon as their site comes back up I'll also be ordering the billet aluminum mustache bar from TechnoToytuning. Hope to pull drivetrains here soon.

Is anyone looking for a nice built 383SBC, T56, and R200 VLSD? I'll have ZXT CV axles, mustache bar, and ZXT stubs drilled for 5lug available too. Live in Northern VA and am not willing to ship lol. Oh, I have a TPIS intake, fuel rails, and TB available as well, also a TB designed to replace a Holley carb that flows 1K CFM or so - this would require an intake with injectors obviously.

Pictures or ban... :D

Ha, figured it out! I'll post more pics as I move along including some of the V8 in the Z and better views of the Supra. For those thinking it's not so bad - the driver's side framerail is bent over about 18 inches <sigh> Tubing the front has been suggested and isn't a bad idea but I'll let someone else do that mess after I've done my swap and taken what I need from the poor thing.

post-46-027821000 1340241254_thumb.jpg

post-46-009468900 1340241256_thumb.jpg

Stubs arrived today! they must have banged together a little in shipping as there was a burr or two on the splines and I have some burrs on the threads at the end of the axle but nothing I cannot easily solve. A little anti-sieze and the stubs slid into the flanges without issue! Awaiting the rest of my brakes from Silvermine. I received a box that had two brackets, some brake hoses, and some clevis for the parking brake but nothing else has arrived and no additional tracking numbers so I'm a little puzzled - it's been 5 days since this box arrived via USPS.... also Chequered Flag doesn't send end caps (apparently) with their axles which I believe Ross used to. If I were to bolt axles onto these the shaft would walk and either trash the CV or the diff I believe. I am going to have to have something machined to prevent this <sigh>. It also looks as if the shift that connects the two CVs will have to be custom made and no one professes to have them. Weird that parts to adapt the CVs are available but the rest is apparently vapor :-(

Ah well, here's a nice stub awaiting brakes so that i can put them on the car!

P.S. My Armada differential also showed up today! I've yet to unbox it but I will snap some pics of it side by side with my 300ZX TT differential ASAP. These will have to be shipped off to be merged and the result will be Frankendiff :-)

post-181-051017400 1348547093_thumb.jpg

Rotors and calipers from Silvermine showed up! Sadly Motorsport is apparently out of stock of the ZXT stub axle nuts. I may try to reuse what I have or just mock everything up gently, not decided. I cannot yet mount a diff but I'd like to put on the brakes and stubs at least. I have a mustache bar from T3 coming too! Need to acquire a bearing splitter while I'm at it - anyone tried the splitters Harbor Freight sells?

Have to do rear brakes on another car this weekend but if time allows I may begin pulling the motor from the Z and putting on the parts I've got. I figure it will be much easier to push around sans drivetrain but danged if I know where I'm going to put a trans and motor in my stuffed garage!

• 2 weeks later...

Mustache bar from T3 is here, ZXT nuts showed up, R230 has been torn down and washed up. I need to find a better solution for the parts washer though, using Purple ZEP and do not like it. Brakes and inspections and renewals and a ton of other crap cleared including a danged license renewal. I should now be able to move along without having to worry about the other cars for awhile - whew! Hope to swap the new stubs and brakes into the car in the next few weeks while the diff is getting done. Then I will have to figure out a mount for the front - fun!

• 2 months later...

Slow going, my diff is in Orlando being built right now though. Need to give Donnie a call and check on it actually! :eek: I still need the pieces to keep the axles from moving around as well as the axles. Know that the Armada diff just doesn't bolt up, a front mount for it has to be fabbed and some cutting done - not done this either on mine. Just do not have much time to work on it but I'm slowly moving and planning! If there was a shop around here I trusted I'd even consider having them do some of the work to speed it up <sigh>

• 2 years later...

Slow going, my diff is in Orlando being built right now though. Need to give Donnie a call and check on it actually! :eek: I still need the pieces to keep the axles from moving around as well as the axles. Know that the Armada diff just doesn't bolt up, a front mount for it has to be fabbed and some cutting done - not done this either on mine. Just do not have much time to work on it but I'm slowly moving and planning! If there was a shop around here I trusted I'd even consider having them do some of the work to speed it up <sigh>

Do you have any updates?

I'm curious to what you have done for retain abs.

Your post is the latest one I have found so far..

I have a 300zc twinturbo with gtx2867 twinturbos. I picked up a 370z 6speed transmission that I would like to use and the armada rear diff ~2.9 ratio seems it would be my best bet. (or an older m45 r200 3.13ratio and swap in a 350z lsd so I still have the 31spline/32mm output stubs and I will be able to use z32tt shafts so it is fairly robust throughout.

Although the armada r230 is just so much larger of a unit internally.. I would feel more comfortable using that so it could handle my drag launches etc better I would think.

Do you have any info on the shop that is doing your diff conversion? I may be able to do most here.. As I read of a Timken bearing that alleviated the issues of alignments/shims that one of the other members had using the z32tt lsd in armada housing.

I really would like to keep ABS.. And reading about how the armada diff doesn't have provisions.. I am unsure how that would be a possibility.. Unless it's something simple as welding/machining clearance on armada r230 on a fitting to attach the sensor to the diff housing using the z32tt cover.

What did you do for parts like crush sleeve etc?

Any info is greatly appreciated!