HybridZ

Nissan Deltawing

zero

After watching this year's Le Mans and seeing the disappointing DNF of the Delawing, I was curious what people here thought of the car.

Personally, I LOVE the fact that people are thinking way outside the box and finding new ways to go fast. The fact that this thing turned LMP2-competitive lap times it's first time out at Le Mans is pretty impressive to me. Especially considering it uses a lot less fuel and tire. (though, it does weigh half as much and has a better hp/weight ratio)

All in all, I like seeing new things on the track.

20120603212611-1039aadc.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1338755687681

It seems like the press likes the car, but a lot of people on another forum can't get over the shape and resemblance to the Ace and Gary car. I kept an open mind about it, although I did agree that the self-aggrandizing Nissan promo videos were a bit much. The main complaints are that the claims re: drag are unrealistically low and the car was a rolling chicane. I wasn't here to watch the race, but it sounds like it was doing pretty well. The real issue, and this one I have to agree with, is that you can't really compare it to an LMP2 car. The specs are totally different, so you're comparing apples to oranges. This was aero innovation, but again, with no competition it's tough to see whether what they were doing was good or bad. If the spec was make a car with that weight and limit the gas tank to 40L, then I think you could make some assessments on performance and you might see scaled down conventional looking cars competing directly, then you could make much more accurate assessments as to which was more efficient. As it was, not so much.

I'd love to see a series where they limit the amount of energy that gets put into the car, set a min weight, and then let them figure it out from there. At least that way they could innovate more and I think it would be a lot more likely that the result might end up with huge gains for production vehicles.

I'd love to see a series where they limit the amount of energy that gets put into the car, set a min weight, and then let them figure it out from there. At least that way they could innovate more and I think it would be a lot more likely that the result might end up with huge gains for production vehicles.

Interestingly enough, that seems to be the direction they're going next year.

http://www.imotortimes.com/articles/1729/20120618/2014-le-mans-rule-changes.htm

I love the car.

Looks like an SR-71 on wheels.

Not that it was implied, but this project is only Nissan - powered. Apparently, nobody wanted to get onboard with such a radical project, and they were able to get in late in the game.

Interestingly enough, that seems to be the direction they're going next year.

Sort of. The fact that they won't allow the electromagnetic valves (which basically allow you to get any cam profile and valve timing you want including jake braking on decel) means to me that there are still limitations. I wonder what would happen if someone showed up with a turbine powered car for example. I like the idea of NO limitations. Don't need pistons or rotors or any of that. Clean slate, you've got X amount of energy in whatever form, electricity, gas, diesel, methane, hydrogen, whatever you want, and you can make the car as fast as you can within that limitation.

Personally, I like seeing more "car-like" cars... :huh:

It's a nice concept and deviation from the norm, but I don't think I would want to see the whole field move in this direction (which is bound to happen if it starts proving itself competitive). <_<

Sort of. The fact that they won't allow the electromagnetic valves (which basically allow you to get any cam profile and valve timing you want including jake braking on decel) means to me that there are still limitations. I wonder what would happen if someone showed up with a turbine powered car for example. I like the idea of NO limitations. Don't need pistons or rotors or any of that. Clean slate, you've got X amount of energy in whatever form, electricity, gas, diesel, methane, hydrogen, whatever you want, and you can make the car as fast as you can within that limitation.

I agree with this. Maybe a single limit, like weight, or 1 driver, 4 wheels, whatever--but otherwise unrestricted.

250px-Howmet_TX_Daytona.jpg

I think there's been more than one turbine powered car in LeMans, but I couldn't say since I don't follow it that well.

JM, interesting ideas, I like where you're going. :2thumbs:

I really like the innovation and out-of-the-box thinking. Setting limitations based on physics (and not specs) is a fantastic idea! Some people on the other forum just don't get it...

Personally, I like seeing more "car-like" cars... :huh:

It's a nice concept and deviation from the norm, but I don't think I would want to see the whole field move in this direction (which is bound to happen if it starts proving itself competitive). <_<

I agree. I still like to see a visually attractive car on the track. Note the Consulier cars of the 80's and 90's. Ugliness like that simply should not be endured.

Contrast that to the AM, 458 Italia or ZR1. They're just stunningly good looking cars in race trim. Still, I think the best looking race cars were about 10 years ago with the Audi R8 and Panoz LMP-1.

There's a reason they don't hire ugly girls at strip joints.