HybridZ

300 Dollar VQ35DE should I buy it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNqAiaCILs

There was a hole in the valve cover due to the crash this engine was in. I wanted to see if any metal got in there so I opened it up and the lobes looked great.

The only real big problems I could see are the metal fuel lines got kinked and the wiring harness has some slices in certain parts from the inpact. There is also battery acid damage (pre-mature rust) everywhere. But it should be easy to clean off once I get it on an engine stand. He is including the entire engine, all accessorites, intake and exhaust manifolds, cats, injectors, ECU the works for 300. Should I get it, fix it and put it in my S30??

EDIT: Forgot to mention, engine only has 10K miles on it. Edited by MazerRackham

Dont buy it for the motor....If there is a fracture/crack anywhere thats not visible to the eye, then its just a big paper weight. I however would advise on purchasing it if it came with a 6speed manual transmission. the transmission is actually valuable and for 300bucks, thats an awesome price. Just save yourself the headache and opt for a complete motor with a harness thats intact. There will be more deals out there if you're patient.

Dont buy it for the motor....If there is a fracture/crack anywhere thats not visible to the eye, then its just a big paper weight. I however would advise on purchasing it if it came with a 6speed manual transmission. the transmission is actually valuable and for 300bucks, thats an awesome price. Just save yourself the headache and opt for a complete motor with a harness thats intact. There will be more deals out there if you're patient.

I exaggerated the damage of the wiring harness in the video to the dismay of the seller. I could fix the wiring harness in an afternoon. After having rebuilt the entire wiring harness for my head-lights I'm pretty confident in my abilities. I understand the fracture/crack statement, but the front clip and radiator were actually bent in a way that was protecting the engine, except for the valve cover. It looked pristine. You should have been there.

I want a VQ37VHR anyway but for 300 bucks this VQ35 seemed like an offer I couldn't refuse.

Edited by MazerRackham

Depending on the mileage these engines start to burn oil, Not saying they are no good just letting you know. I have been a Nissan Tech for 14 years.

Sorry I forgot to mention this engine only has 10K miles on it. My 40 year old L28 is burning old because of bad valve seals/blowby. I'm not too worried about getting it to stop burning oil/pass emissions. I just want a modern engine that has potential to hang with/smoke the Lambo kids. I'm better with digital than analogue being a programmer and all. I'd imagine these engines are much better supported by megasquirt than our L28/L28ETs.... Edited by MazerRackham

I would get it as a good base to start at, but I wouldn't just drop it in.

I'd take it apart or bring it to a machine shop to check the block for cracks as stated, or you can use it as a mock up, get it wired up and then just remove and replace with a known good block.

HEy Mazer,

I'd say buy it. the heads alone are worth more than $300 on Ebay. The valve cover is cheap. Does it come with the accessories? If so, if it doesn't work out, you'll still make about 500 bucks selling those too. If the engine is good, then you're golden. Things you need to get are as much of the harnesses as you can, engine harness and engine bay harness, the Key, the Dash harness, the ECU, the BCU. the IPDM, AC Amp all from the same donor is best. Grab all the sensors and gauges too if you can as well as the rear diff if availible. Get the gas pedal, and the clutch assy w/ reservior if you can. This is all stuff you'll need to make the VQ go. I saw you reading up in the V6 forum. If you can I'd also grab the door harnesses and the rear body harness so you'll have the fuel pump plugs. All this will save you so much in the future. $300 is a great price depending on what it comes with. Oh! Get all the rubber hoses in the engine compartment too if you can. Sort em out later.

I'd imagine these engines are much better supported by megasquirt than our L28/L28ETs....

Well, I can't speak from experience. But I'm leaning toward no, it's the other way around. If the engine has VVT or any special stuff, the stock ECU will be better. They have UpRev or whatever other tuning solutions for almost all modern PCMs these days, and they aren't crappy like LS1Edit anymore.

I still say buy it. the accessories alone are worth the $300. What year is the engine? Of course get as much parts as you can. You might even ask him, how much for the whole donor? That's because you'll need to many more parts. A valve cover is cleap. These engines have VVT. so yet, the stock ECU is best. If it's 07+ then it'll also have exhaust adjustment too. Hell if you don't buy it, I might be interrested. I've been thinking of putting one in my Z32 too.

So did ja buy it Mazer?

I'm going tomorrow morning to start pulling it. My girlfriend just got back from Florida on Monday, and she left today for Europe for a month so I wanted to spend every moment with her before she left. My friend Lucas and I are getting up at 8 and will hopefully have it done by around 3'ish. He's never done any car work before so it might take all day. Luckily the guy who I'm buying the engine off of has air tools and is willing to help if I look like a total n00b but I think I can handle it. I'll probably just read the FSM tonight. I'll record everything and upload it to youtube as I work so you guys can follow along.

Edited by MazerRackham

Sounds so awesome! I hope you got a good look at the list of parts you should grab with it. Especially the Key ECU BCU combo. The IPDM and fuse box too along with the harnesses would get you so far ahead, and you wouldn't have to pay to have your harness hacked up. I hope you guys got it pulled today. Post us some picts!