HybridZ

I need Professional Help to take a look at my car

Im looking for someone who is in the Temecula area or would come down to come take a look at my car. I cant figure out why it wont run. I dont have nearly enough knowledge to figure it out myself nor the funds to pay a shop to fix it. I have a feeling that it's something very obvious and i just dont see it.. I need someone to look at it, and help me figure out what needs to be done to get it going. I'll pay for the gas it takes you to get here.

Please help

any additional information needed, just ask

1977 280z 2+2

I have air and spark. no fuel. Which is weird because it ran perfectly fine 2 months ago..

If I continuously spray little shots of starter fluid into the intake it will idle.

Im good with cars, just not.. great. Im only 17 and have lots to learn.

Okay, so what have you checked in the fuel system? First few things I'd check would be the filter, pump, and the injectors. The filter and pump should be easy to do, but I don't know how you'd check injectors. Although, I'm not familiar with a stock 280Z, if it has a mech fuel pump, I'm not sure how you would check that either. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Edited by rturbo 930

I'm Pretty sure. And the fuel injectors spray. I pulled them out and cleaned them about a month ago. I also replaced all the hoses on the injectors. The fuel goes in, and if I pull the return hose it comes out. But when I try and start the car it starts for 1 second then dies. Then doesn't start again. Unless I use the starting fluid. But if I stop spraying the fluid in the intake it dies.

I'm thinking maybe there isn't enough pressure to activate the injectors. If that's the case would it be the Fuel Pump?

I also thought there might be a pressure leak somewhere but I don't see leaking gas..

I cleaned out the screen trap in the fuel pump, it wasn't very dirty.

I have a copy of the FSM in a PDF file. I've tried the tests with that and still nothing.

Could I have a bad Cold Start Valve?

If it starts then dies, the CSV is probably doing its job. The CSV only squirts when the key is at Start. Sounds like your injectors aren't firing (assuming that the fuel pump is working). Does your tach work when it does start for 1 second? The blue wire to Pin #1 needs to be intact.

You shouldn't be able to hear the fuel pump run either unless someone has bypassed the fuel pump cutoff switch in the AFM.

Are you sure you have spark? The only reason I ask is on my 280 I had a weird problem inside the distributor where it basically ate it self we checked everything else and found nothing accept no spark, we dug into the dissy and found out that there was play in the shaft and it was slowly grinding the magnets under the rotor.

Edit ** oh but then again you did say it started on starting fluid lol

Edited by Silverone858

Ok try removing the fuel line coming from the filter and crank the engine over, Your checking for fuel. If you don't have fuel the pump or fuel filter is clogged. If you have good fuel flow you may have the fuel lines to the rail crossed up. Or the fuel injectors are not getting signal to work.

When you spray starter fluid in the intake your bypassing the injectors, so you still don't know if they work.

Edited by dexter72

The Tach Works.

The fuel pump works. When I start the car with the inlet line off, gas comes out.

I have spark. Brand new Plugs, Wires and Coil.

I Think that the Injectors are shot. Me and a family friend whose a mechanic (not for Datsun though..) Put a tester light on the Injector plugs and it light up when we cranked the motor.