HybridZ

V-Band Clamps

74_5.0L_Z

I have just finished making a set of custom headers for the car, and I want to connect the collectors to the rest of the exhaust using V-Band clamps. While shopping for said V-Band clamps, I have discovered that Vibrant Performance makes some really nice clamp assemblies but they are really expensive (~$80.00 per assembly). Additionally, I have found that other companies make assemblies that cost about half as much as those from Vibrant Performance. Specifically, I can get a similar assembly from OBX for about $40.00 per assembly.

Are the Vibrant Performance pieces that much nicer?

Who here has experience with V-Band clamps, and which brand did you use?

Thanks

I got mine from a local place in my town that my muffler shop recommended. It was called Deeds Automotive, and they are a father/son service shop, but the son is really good with the cnc machine and manufactures all types of flanges and clamps. Their particular vband clamp has a "male and female" end. So one has an indent and the other has a ring sticking out so they mate perfectly. Makes it a piece of cake. I'm pretty sure it only cost me around $40-50 for a single 2.5" clamp

I'd give them a call:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/deeds-automotive-service-burbank

I've got one of the cheap assemblies(~25 shipped), I haven't run one, but I figured post turbo and post WBO2 if it leaked a tiny bit or needed a little high temp sealant I wouldn't be too offended. The slip style band clamp I have leaks a tiny amount already, not enough to hear, but enough to make a little soot around the clamp.

The flanges are flat and machined decently. The clamp looks alright, but I haven't torqued it down on anything. The ad said it was stainless, but it has some very minor rust spots/discoloration after taking the oil off and letting it sit around my house for 6 months. I'd guess it's a 400 series SS, kinda stainless, but will rust somewhat, not like mild steel though. This one doesn't have the locating lip, so you need to slide 1 pipe 1/8"-1/4" past the flange and the other pipe back into the flange so it will still bolt together. This makes it harder to leak and easier to assemble.

A lot depends on the material used. Some of the cheap clamps I've seen are mild steel with a high polish. That might be fine for a clamp in the exhaust but it will be an issue up at the turbo. It also depends on the type of fitment. The good clamps are designed so that one exhaust tube in the joint projects beyond the clamp face by .1" and fits into a recess in the other clamp face. This significantly improves the seal and makes alignment a lot easier.

I used the Vibrant clamps on my exhaust. I like them. I really like the way the "clasp" flips over the t-bolt, so you can just loosen the nut and disassemble. Also, I think the t-bolts themselves are a bit better. I have broken other ones. I have used the v-band clamps from Burns and they are made by another company, named something like race shop. five star makes alot v-bands also. Dynatechs clamps are mild steel on the flanges.

Side note, whoever it is that makes Burns clamps (can't find them right now) also had low profile clamps and flanges to fit metric tubing. Whatever you pick anti-seize the heck outta the threads.

• Administrators

The good clamps are designed so that one exhaust tube in the joint projects beyond the clamp face by .1" and fits into a recess in the other clamp face. This significantly improves the seal and makes alignment a lot easier.

I think you lost me, John. I recently picked up these V-Bands from ATP. They’re on the lower end of the price scale and I see nothing special about them. But I see no issue with running one pipe through and letting it pilot into the other flange. Am I missing something?

VBandA.jpg

VBandB.jpg

VBandC.jpg

I primarily use the Vibrant clamps at work and they are very nice. The locating ridge makes assembly a little easier and the quick release clamp is also a time saver.

I also use Reid Washbon clamps for applications where I need to match an existing flange, light weight applications or low profile applications. Excellent service and parts selection.

Never tried any of the inexpensive ones myself.

RTz, What you are doing there is a similar effect as the Vibrant ones but unless you face the tube ends in a lathe, you won't get as nice of a fit on the "lip" you make. Either way will work fine though. it's splitting hairs IMO.

I've also wondered about the difference in quality and price and what to go for as I have zero experience with these clamps.

Are these clamps universal ie, if you have one make of flange flange welded to your exhaust can you use another companies clamp? Hope that made sense!

With my predicament I've got an intake manifold I purchased with the flange welded to it, it didn't come with the clamp so no idea which to go for in terms of price or whether make makes a difference in terms of if it will fit.

I think you lost me, John. I recently picked up these V-Bands from ATP. They’re on the lower end of the price scale and I see nothing special about them. But I see no issue with running one pipe through and letting it pilot into the other flange. Am I missing something?

VBandA.jpg

VBandB.jpg

VBandC.jpg

That's fine. The higher end ones I mentioned have a step or collar (typically about .049") inside the ring that does not have the projection so the the projected tube butts against it. The tube from the other end also butts into the backside of the step before welding. You can accomplish the same thing using the clamps in the pic above making sure the tubes butt against each other.

I ended up ordering some V-Band Clamps from Mandrel Bending Solution for $43.00 each, and I also ordered some of their flex couplings. The clamps and flex couplings should arrive early next week. I'll post the results when I'm finished.

Thanks for all of the replies.