Want a power steering on my 280z !!

Jay23

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think if you are resourcefull you could almost fit any powesteering on it just making sure the pump you will use dont overload the pressure of the gear box. Lots of electric column still be a good way but its expensive. Any forester power steering rack could fit with few mods but i dont know wich pump we should use

Well I finished up the Electric PS install on my 78 last night. Excellent piece! Right now I have sensitivity being augmented by a potentiometer. This works well with the ECU's program that takes steering input into consideration when applying assist. Next up will be to tie in the LS1's ECU speed signal to have true speed sensitive powersteering. Overall I'm very happy with the kit.

Joe

Well I finished up the Electric PS install on my 78 last night. Excellent piece! Right now I have sensitivity being augmented by a potentiometer. This works well with the ECU's program that takes steering input into consideration when applying assist. Next up will be to tie in the LS1's ECU speed signal to have true speed sensitive powersteering. Overall I'm very happy with the kit.

Joe

That's what I am trying to figure out before I order mine. My ECU get the vehicle speed from the gear. Just trying to figure out how i map that to an output.

Is there a Speed signal output from your ECU that can feed something like an electric speedo? If so, you can use that signal to feed the PS ECU. That is the route I'm taking. If you don't have a speed signal out, the EZ Powersteering can sell you a signal generator that runs off the speedo gear. Basically, you disconnect the speedo cable, insert the signal generator in where the speedo cable goes into the trans, and connect the speedo cable to the signal generator. 2 wires come off the generator that go to the PS ECU. Instant speed sensitivity.

I'll let you know how I make out with mine.

Joe

Is there a Speed signal output from your ECU that can feed something like an electric speedo? If so, you can use that signal to feed the PS ECU. That is the route I'm taking. If you don't have a speed signal out, the EZ Powersteering can sell you a signal generator that runs off the speedo gear. Basically, you disconnect the speedo cable, insert the signal generator in where the speedo cable goes into the trans, and connect the speedo cable to the signal generator. 2 wires come off the generator that go to the PS ECU. Instant speed sensitivity.

I'll let you know how I make out with mine.

Joe

Yea the aem can map all kinds of input signals to an output which i can connect to a sensor. Guess I am just going to need a sensor chart.

Also, I know you wanted to wait until the new version of EZ Powersteering came out that can use vary the sensitivity when using a speed signal. This sounded very interesting to me so I contacted Roger at EZP to inquire. He told me that what they were developing would be 100% compatible with what I have now and will be plug an play. Sounds good to me!

Joe

• 7 months later...

Just an FYI, got another option for you guys looking to do a power steering conversion in your Z.  We have it on our RB-powered '72 and love it.

http://zpowersteering.com/

+1

I've driven Hitman's Z, the electric assist is pretty darn cool.  Makes it stupidly easy to steer - especially at low speeds - even with those giant-wide tires of his...  Fits nice under the dash - don't know it's there until you turn the steering wheel!

+1

I've driven Hitman's Z, the electric assist is pretty darn cool.  Makes it stupidly easy to steer - especially at low speeds - even with those giant-wide tires of his...  Fits nice under the dash - don't know it's there until you turn the steering wheel!

How's the feedback? Do you retain the "feel" of the manual rack or does it numb it up?

I think the feedback is very good.  I was - surprised - the assist doesn't "get in the way", feels very natural...  IMO it retains the feel while lowering the effort.  And of course you can "dial in or out" the amount of assist you want or turn it off completely.  It feels nice at speed, doesn't over-react to slight input.  I suppose that's what surprised me, the fact that it "knows" when you want/need more assist and when to stay out of your way.  That's the magic of microprocessors I guess...