HybridZ

1982 280zxt Log

TonyB

- Hey everyone. A good friend of mine showed me a silver RB26 240z awhile ago and I instantly fell in love with Datsun. About a week later he showed me an ad on craigslist for a 280zx and I bought it that weekend. I have had this 1982 280zxt since May of 2011. It has had its issues, but it has been solid since I've had it. Now I want more out of it.

- I'm now starting to upgrade anything that goes out in the car. I plan to do everything in groups/systems, so I'm not always at the mechanic. If possible I would like to do as much as the work myself. This being my first car, I don't have many tools or experience. Although I did replace the alternator and starter myself already, and I do my own oil/oil filter changes.

- My plans for this is to post pictures and updates as they happen. Hopefully you guys can help with what options I have for upgrades, what I might also need, suggestions, and help and guidance.

Anyway, here's my baby.

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

The first "system" that is being upgraded is the exhaust system. I have been having trouble passing smog, so I have decided to get a new catalytic converter. To go with the new cat, I will be getting 3in mandrel bend stainless steel pipes, and a new muffler. I would like good airflow and a deep low exhaust sound without getting too loud. I was thinking of getting a simple Magnaflow Cat with a simple Magnaflow Muffler.

My only questions are:

- Will the cat and muffler even fit? I used the same cat Magnaflow suggested just with a 3in in/out, and I measured the muffler I have, and it's about the same dimensions as this new one.

- Will this setup be loud? Because I don't want anything too crazy and loud.

- How much should something like this cost? I don't want to get ripped off.

They do smog test on 82 model in NV , wow . I'm glad i live TX , safety only on 25yrs or older . The car looks clean , good find . Hope you got a good deal . Wondered if Gredy still have cat-back for it . Fact. pipe is 3" or larger , i think .

no need for 3'' with a stock setup you will not out flow 2.5'' pipe. i run 2.5'' at 14lbs of boost making 300+ foot pounds of torque. mine is not super loud with no cat or muffler the turbo does act as one to an extent. good luck with your new car man. ps best money i ever spent on mine was the hpk255 suspension kit and poly bushings.

no need for 3'' with a stock setup you will not out flow 2.5'' pipe. i run 2.5'' at 14lbs of boost making 300+ foot pounds of torque. mine is not super loud with no cat or muffler the turbo does act as one to an extent. good luck with your new car man. ps best money i ever spent on mine was the hpk255 suspension kit and poly bushings.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely look up that kit.

• 1 month later...

If you are doing a mandrel bent exhaust it's silly not to run a 3". As little restiction as possible is what you want for a turbo system even if you are running a stock turbo. You'll find it's a challenge to run the exhaust over the rear crossmember. You know you'll need to get a custom bent exhaust as there are no mandrel 3" exhaust for the 280ZX.

I like the Walker Ultraflows as they have some of the best flow numbers out there. Get an oval can if you want it quieter and a round can if you want it louder.

Yea, go 3" all the way. The sad part is that you really should replace the stock downpipe while you're doing all this, to save from having to re-do anything at the stock j-pipe connection should you leave the downpipe stock.

The stock downpipe is two 90 degree bends and you can easily fit two 3" 45 degree bends that will flow a LOT better and help turbo spool time SIGNIFICANTLY. Turbos hate back pressure. I say run as free flowing exhaust as you can stand and be happy you have a turbo that's already quieting your exhaust to begin with.

And even though your engine "could" live with a 2.5" just fine, that's just silly on a turbo motor. Like I said, turbos are ALWAYS more efficient with less back pressure and typical exhaust scavenging dynamics are lost and nearly irrelevant. Just go 3" and be done with it.

Also, I did my own engine swap with very little datsun experience and a limited tool set (think one of those 140 piece sets along with a hoist, jack stands, and jacks). Though exhaust is one of the things I'm not big on doing myself, you'd be amazed what you can get done yourself with just the FSM and patience. So let this be an encouragement to you that yes you CAN do it when it comes time for the next big project.

• 3 weeks later...

"You know you'll need to get a custom bent exhaust as there are no mandrel 3" exhaust for the 280ZX."

Well, there ARE... Just nobody stateside wants to pay for them! (Domestic or JDM Imported)

... and a custom bent is probably cheaper than getting one from Japan....  JeffP did a run but that was before my time so I missed out on the very limited run he did.  I've contacted a couple of mandrel outfits but no one is interested in doing them - too bad.