HybridZ

2JZ-GTE Swap(better then RB26)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just started geting interested into Z's. I am looking to do a swap. The 2JZ-GTE from 93-98 Toyota Supra Turbo. The engine is bullet proof and even stronger then the RB26DETT. It can hold 850+ HP on stock internals. I put 2 grand of mods into my 3400LBS Supra and it runs 11.3. So that shows how good the engine is. It is a inline 6 Twinturbo like the Skyline and it has 3.0L displacement, thats .4 liters over the Skyline and also the engine is readly availible to us in the U.S. for pretty cheap. Here are my questions. Will the motor fit into a 70-83 Z Car. What would be the best Z car to use for the swap. Should I swap the tranny to for the the Supras 6-Speed. How much do Z weight. Will the stock tranny hold high HP. Can you guys post some pics of some nice looking Z's. Has the swap been done already?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting questions.

You can get 240Zs that weigh less than 2500#, with 260 and 280Zs weighing in at around 2650#, and ZXs weigh in the 3000#+ range. If you go out to our main page (Click on HybbridZ.org in the location bar on your browser) then click on members rides or featured rides and you should be able to see some of our conversions.

Can it be done? Sure it can. Has it? Don't know, but if I were you, I'd get a digital camera, or cam corder and record the whole thing. If it has been done, it probably hasn't been documented. I'd also plan to stick with the Supra six speed as I hear that unit is very durable.

You will probably get a lot of doubters with regards to your claims of HP figures on the stock bottom end, although I know of at least two in my area that are making HUGE boost and over 500RWHP with their stock bottomed Supras!

Good luck and welcome to the group.

Mike Kelly

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited December 27, 2000).]

...It's been done. Jim Biondo has seen a 240Z with the late Supra Turbo motor and trans in it at a drag strip. I don't remember the particulars, but the engine, even in stock form was making the thing fly. This guy was actually having problems with the 280ZX Turbo CV shafts wearing out, due to all the torque. Sorry no details.

Those engines are basically detuned racing engines, from everything I've read. Very capable of big HP numbers while staying reliable. If you can make a big heavy Supra go fast with one, think what it would do in a 1000 lb lighter 240Z! That'd be a cool swap!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Hey

i agree it is a readily available engine and its strong. It should fit... overal dimensions are about teh same as teh rb motor but im not sure.

AS for better then the rb-26???? Im not trying to start a flaming thing but the skyline powered cars in japan are and have been dominating just about every class.

either way you decide to go though should have a very fast Z.

Somebody asked me about torque and turbo lag on my rb-26 a while back and all i can say is torque is very good and lag is nonexistant:> im sure teh toyota engine will be the same.

Allthough some may say that the cost is too high to justify a swap like this but if you look at teh cost of getting a carb L or turbo L in teh 400+ hp range i think No im positive itll be cheaper. now keep in mind im not talking about any of you guys out there that have a shop and have the ability to build and L engine very cheap. Im talking about the everyday joe that is building his car in his own garage. well ill stop now gotta go

l8rz

stony

P.S. remember im not trying to start an arguement just my inputs. If i had come across a 2jz motor myseld i might have done that. My friend Matt is starting a project soon on a old mustang . he is going to install a toyota 1U V-8 and twin turbo it.... that should be interesting ;> I believe in the states its the v-8 in teh lexus over here they are a dime a dozen

Guest Anonymous

RB'a are really easy to find in the US. Japenesse engines come within the shiploads to the US. Owning and operating a car in Japan is very expensive- gasoline costs 4 times more, highway tolls, parking permits, registration, and insurance. It is not uncommon to spend $100/day to use a car. This is why mileage per year is about half of what we are used to seeing. The owner cannot just park a car- a permit where to park is required. An average parking space costs $700/month, more in urban areas. They cannot drive a car with any damage- the authorities consider this use unsafe. Labor is very expensive and so many cars with superficial body damage and perfect engines are recycled.

Cars registered in Japan must meet very strict and comprehensive tests, initially after 3 years and then every 2 years. The cost of complying with these test standards can run as much as 30% of the vehicle value. There are almost no cars over 5 years old cars running! If the cars are over 4 years old, the owner has to pay the yard to recycle! So cars are recycled early. Compound these costs with the Japanese consumers’ propensity to drive only the latest models and the result is a lot of engine supply.

Also, I am starting an argument but I truly think the 2JZ is a better motor then the RB26. In America the are ALOT of 9 and 10 seconds Supras running around on the STREET RELIABLY. In fact, Sound Performence has a 9.54 second Supra with INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION. If they went with a 9" Ford in the back they will be in the 8's street legaly. Also that car has full interior including Heat and AC. There is also a company called Performence Factory that has a 9 second street supra with TV's, Full interior and full competition stereo. I dont know if you guy have ever heard of the famous Craig Paisly with the full race Supra well into LOW 8's soon to be 7's, well this guys Supra has STOCK INTERNALS.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hello to All,

The Lexus swap has been done here in Austin,

Texas.The owners name is Clint and he has a

web site:TURBOLEXUS.COM.

He also has a forum based web site called:

TEXASRACINGSCENE.COM.

On this site under the video section I think

there is a video of his last dyno run.Now

don't quote me on this,but I think it was

700+R.W.H.P. This is his daily driver.

He seems to be a really good guy also.

Talk to ya laters

Russell

schoolbus z

So, I'm guessing that the 86-92 supra turbo motors (7M-GTE) are much cheaper than the later ones - I see way more of these in the yards.

Would this maybe be worth the effort? Certainly seems as though it would be a better choice than the Datsun L28turbo. Has a cross flow, 24 valve head. Rated at 230hp with a mere 6.8psi (http://www.toyotasupra.com/engine.html). Maybe add a bigger intercooler, more fuel and crank the boost.

I am intrigued.

It's a nice looking motor. But would it fit?

sm_2.jpg

I have a few friends that are running the turbo supras of different years. I was at the track one day and my buddy with a 57

chevy with a lingenfelter 498" bbc that would pull the wheels off the ground got

outran by a very stock looking older bodied

supra. My buddy ran 6.60's that pass 1/8th

mile. I went to talk to the guy in the supra

he told me that the rear end was stock and the the motor just had turbo, exhaust, and computer mods. It had a full interior

and the only thing that I could see was

slicks and some polished intake tubes

and a strut tower brace....

I was very impressed!

Guest Anonymous

They eat head gaskets unless you do some specific machine work to the block/head to prevent it. I'm sure you've heard stories about the head gaskets, it's a chronic problem. Otherwise the engine is nice I guess, and there's plenty of them.

The 2jz engine makes more power, is newer, and has a 6speed manual. Why would you want something else! smile.gif

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Whenever you see a late-model Supra running, keep in mind that it probably weighs in at over 3700lbs with the driver. My buddy and friendly rival does not want to put a cage in his daily driver so he always hits the brakes at the top-end. His quickest 1/8-mile is 7.21 @ 97.1 and they are stronger on the top-end. This is his daily driver and we estimate it is pumping out 525RWHP from upgraded turbos & injectors, monster I/C, and the requisite electronics.

This would make a killer engine for an early Z.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

I think a rb26d or a 2jz turbo engine could both easily make too much power. I mean, what's the point in being able to smoke the tires at 100mph+?

Wait, that'd be pretty cool! smile.gif

I looked for a 2jz drivetrain, but they were just too expensive for my blood - $3k or so for a decent engine. Add in the transmission and wiring and computer and it gets expensive pretty fast. But it would be sweet - dead reliable at 450hp on stock everything, 6 speed, plus it looks mighty impressive. Oh well, I'll have to settle for just 1 turbo frown.gif

I also checked into getting a rb25dt, but it's a PITA and very expensive compared to a low mile l28t from a wreck($500 l28t or $3k bare minimum for a rb25dt, and you can't get rb parts in the states).

------------------

Morgan

If one could get the I/C, engine, trans and electronics for $4000, I think that is a good price IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR 450hp.

After all, what are the alternatives?

A 450hp crate SBC will probably run $4-6K + the T-56 & induction

a "standard" SBC with a supercharger is probably the same

A GN with a good I/C, upgraded turbo and injectors will do it (I am working my way there)

Not sure what it takes to get a 4.3L forced-induction engine to put out 450hp

A L28T buildup to produce and support 450hp will be in that same price range

The VG30DETT is another option

The RB-series is definitely there but as Morgan ststed, the price and parts availability is an issue.

If you have the $$$, what a wonderful dilemna trying to make a decision biggrin.gif

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

That's the problem, I don't think you could get a very good condition drivetrain with all the stuff you need for $4k. The engine/transmission alone for $4k probably, but add in plumbing, wiring and computer, an intercooler, etc, etc. and it adds up fast.

450hp is not hard with just a good exhaust and a boost controller, it'd fit nicely in a Z, and it'd surely be a sweet car!

I ended up with a l28 'cause it's much easier/faster to install, and significantly cheaper for only a bit less power. If money were no object I'd still go with a rb engine though - same power easily and it's nissan! For shits and giggles, you can get a rb drivetrain for a somewhat decent price - a rb25dt and electronics could be had for $4kish to your door, a bit more for a rb26dtt. And rb engines have the same transmission bolt pattern as vg engines, so transmission choices are plentifull and readily available.

------------------

Morgan

Forget the 2jz. That's too expensive.

Well, unfortunately this is all theoretical for me at the moment since I'm broke, but, in my (admittedly slim pickins) area, I can get a junker L28t long block in decent, runnable shape for $400. Another $75 for a stock ECU. The trans I (will by then) have already. So that is pretty cheap. (I've only found 2, one has a blown HG, so I would presume it needs a complete rebuild)

But, I can get a 7M-GTE for $750-900. These are purportedly good, runnable shape. I'm having more trouble with the trans for some reason, but it seems like $500 would be do-able.

This is a modern, 24valve, cross-flow, 3.0 liter engine. It's gotta be way better than the 40 or so year old datsun/benz 6.

Can you tell that I am sold on this possibility? I'm almost sold enough to hold off on the expenditure for the nissan 5sp.

How much different are the internals? I did some searching around, but there's not that much info on the 2jz. Lots of sites with older Supras that have swapped in the 7M-GTE though. 450hp seems to be a pretty common claimed figure for modded versions of this engine. I'd certainly be happy with 300hp. Very.

Guest Anonymous

The 7m engine has severe head gasket problems. I don't know another way to put it. Search around a bit for more info. You will have to disassemble the engine and have some machine work done to make the problem infrequent enough to live with it.

And $6k or so for a drivetrain isn't bad for the power you get. 6 speed, 450hp without even trying, and it starts up when -50 outside, idles perfect, gets decent mileage, etc.

And damnit, if I have a choice, the choice is always nissan for everything.

------------------

Morgan

quote:

Originally posted by jeromio:

This is a modern, 24valve, cross-flow, 3.0 liter engine. It's gotta be way better than the 40 or so year old datsun/benz 6.

Umm, sorry to break it to you, but the M-series engines first appeared in the 1964 Toyota 2000 GT. It is an old block with a fancy head slapped on.

This engine has problems too, as Morgan mentioned.

If you want 300hp, you'll probably be happier with the L28. You can drop it in for very little, and then do incremental upgrades over time. If you want 450hp, you'll probably be happier with a V8.