HybridZ

I am installing the Z32 master cylinder on my S30. Who has done this? I know someone has!

I am fortunate enough that my brother blew up his Z32 motor and I am benefiting What ever parts I want. So, I have taken off the master cylinder and front calipers to install on my S30 1974 260z.

The only info I can find is installing the Widwood master and it says to make sure that the rod is properly adjusted. If thats all is should be a snap and you cant beat the price.

Edited by tooquick260

I installed a BM44 on my 260Z.

I used the booster from a r32 gtr. I had to enlarge the hole for the rod and drill 4 new mount holes. One of the mount holes is really close to the S30 brake pedel bracket and the brake will have to be modified so the nut can be installed. I know its one of the right side nuts toward the trans tunnel, but I dont remember if its the top or bottom one. The R32 booster fits on the 260Z. It might not fit on a pre 73 240Z as the clutch cylinder is closer to the booster. I think the 240sx may be an appropriate replacement booster but I dont know for sure. The Z32 booster might also work its up to you to measure it out first though.

I started by leaving the original MC in place and test fitting the new booster to measure it up. Once you know it fits you can proceed with the cutting an drilling.

If your trying to install the MC on a stock booster I cant be much help.

Now in the future for my car if I choose to install one of the BM50 or BM55 MCs its an easy swap so long as I stick with the non-abs type MCs. Those are the 1" and 1 1/16" MCs.

I really like the Booster I have and the MC combo. The brakes feel a lot more refined with the setup Im running, but I still have stock drums in the back and Im using toyota 4 piston calipers up front. I plan on using the BM50 and the AZCar willwood 6 pistons up front and Silvermine calipers in the rear very soon.

One nice thing about using the BM series MC is that it incorporates all the brake components in the MC. The distribution valve and whatever else is in the brake system on a S30 hanging out on the fender and bulkhead can and should be deleted. I replaced my components with new brake lines and 10mm metric hydraulic line union coupler which where a little hard to find. I believe I found a company called BrakeQuip that makes the union coupler and a local distributor to me that could order them.

Ray

I installed a chevy 1 1/8 master cylinder after getting a bad batch of remanufactured stock master cylinders. This was a fairly straight forward modification, however I would like to change the booster out for something larger. I currently have the toyota 4x4, 4 piston NON vented disc brakes in front, and rear Stanza single piston callipers with canadian 300zx NON vented disc brakes in the back. I do have the stock e-brake set-up and this works great with the stanza callipers, mabe a little more handle action over the stock drums but not much.

What I realy want right now is better brake pad materiel, something better for all this rain we get here in Washington!!

I installed a chevy 1 1/8 master cylinder after getting a bad batch of remanufactured stock master cylinders. This was a fairly straight forward modification, however I would like to change the booster out for something larger. I currently have the toyota 4x4, 4 piston NON vented disc brakes in front, and rear Stanza single piston callipers with canadian 300zx NON vented disc brakes in the back. I do have the stock e-brake set-up and this works great with the stanza callipers, mabe a little more handle action over the stock drums but not much.

What I realy want right now is better brake pad materiel, something better for all this rain we get here in Washington!!

Must be insanely hard to squeeze those calipers with a MC that big!

Im running a 15/16 (I was lucky enough to find one at my local parts store for $60) and gtr 4 piston and s13 single piston put back. Brakes feel a bit mushy but not too bad, defineltey acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well did some work over the weekend. Got the Z32 brake calipers painted and installed with new rotors. Turned out awesome. Brake pedal feels the same as stock. Here are some pics.

First pics are the calipers complete. Second is the finished job. We are using Nissan Sentra Spec-V wheels. They are 17x8 wheels running 225/50 fronts. We have 245/45 on the rear. \

Stayed tuned for the master cylinder and coilovers. By the way i ordered coilovers from Cosmo, but ordered for a 1970-1974 240Z. And they do not fit. So I am having to send back to Cosmo and wait for the correct ones to arrive. My fault, and they look like good stuff. For what we want to do they will work fine.

20121220_234617.jpg

20121225_173846.jpg

Edited by tooquick260

• 5 weeks later...

Well more progress. Got a set of Cosmoracing

coilevob1_zpsdee65d5a.jpg

adjustable springs for Christmas. My dad ordered but ordered them for an early 74 260Z which have the same diameter strut housing as the early. Tried to install but will not fit, sent them back got the new set back on Tuesday and installed them on Wednesday. Install is straight forward.

large245121_zps557936cf.jpg

I also got a set of stainless steel braided break lines to go with my new Z32 front breaks. I also installed these at the same time. Here are some before and after pics. Rebleading the lines had some garbage come throught the rear bleeders. Need to go back through bleeding all four. The peddle is a little soft on the first break, you can release and reapply and they are firm. I am still using the stock master cylinder and will tackle the Z32 bmc swap when I have a  dedicated day to attend to the install with adjusting the rod. This is my only mode of transportation and can't afford to have the car down for any time other than days off.

20130124_173641.jpg

20130107_171633-1.jpg

So what do you think. The adj springs are perfect for a daily driven car, I may get out and run some local road course. Soon to come TURBO.

The set up for the late model 260z requires no cutting. You remove the springs and the Cosmo slides over the strut housing an sits on the botttom perch that the original spring sat on. This is held in place by 3 allens with rubber o-ring on the inside to hold secure. Then screw the locking ring on, then the adjusting ring, slide over bottom strut housing the setting spring, then the intermediate holder for the top of the setting spring, Put the main spring on the intermediate holder with the top spring landing holder. Then you use the original top rubber setting piece with the three mount studs that goes through the body to be bolted on.

All four corners took 3-4 hours.. I had help from my dad and brother. Taking both sides off at the same time. It was our first time and with basic tools very simple. I think all we used was a 10mm wrench for brake lines, 14mm wrench for top and bottom strut bolts and sway bars, 17mm wrench front caliper, 19mm wrench top nut for strut, same in sockets, pliers, prybar, rubber hammer. I did use air tools where possible. Nice to be able to use my dads tools.

This is basic remove and replace springs. 

20130123_173146.jpg

There is a vendor here on Hybridz doing the conversion parts. He uses a honda Odyssey front rotors. He machines the rotor to bolt to the hub, does a very good job, the bearing race has to be machined as well. He makes the adapters to bolt the Z32 calipers to the S30 strut housing. The Z32 is 90mm spread where the stock S30 is 80mm I believe. The rotors and brackets are a little over $300 and you supply the Z32 Calipers.

I have not installed the z32 BMC yet. Plans for turbo install in the next 3 months and will tackle the bmc then while the car is down for mocking turbo parts and plumbing.

Video of me by my dad. Just left Hot Dog Heaven, had a few Chicago dogs and there great fries. 

Turn down your volume, sound turned out terrible!

http://s158.beta.photobucket.com/user/melbellwood1/media/20130128_160220.mp4.html

http://s158.beta.photobucket.com/user/melbellwood1/media/20130128_160504.mp4.html

Sounds good on this one. Going on the night, heading out to meet friends.

http://s158.beta.photobucket.com/user/melbellwood1/media/20130128_185823.mp4.html

The 260z were direct fit no altercations needed. Word of advice is get the stiffer spring set 8kg, 6kg. Put the 8Kg on the front. I learned the hard way. The front bottoms out on hard bumps with base setup up 5kg front and 6gk rear. I purchased the 8kg and they told me to put the 6kg on the front and 8kg on the rear. I took it to the track Saturday 2/16/13. Cornered better but with the 6kg on the front had a hard diving on the outside corner, hence switching the 8kg to the rear and the 6kg on the rear.

The car seems a little bouncy driving onthe street. I thing it is the combo of original inserts and spring setup. I want to get the tokico ilumina's

Where did you get yours and how much did they cost?

Edited by tooquick260

I got my tokico's at work, but not from work... I work at Advance as a commercial parts guy, I had my Z at work and I someone drove by and then came by. He had a Z and had a falling out with the body shop, he had boxes and boxes of new Z parts so i bought a few things off of him. 

I have the Cosmo EVO 2 on my early 260Z.

The Gland nuts are an issue with the Cosmo sleeve. Mine required some grinding to get the collar/Sleeve over the gland nut. Some folks have the round gland nuts and most likely dont have that issue though.

I do not have any issues bottoming out, but I sectioned my struts and Im running the Tokico Illuminas. I am running the heavier springs in the back as well. I will be changing them out to 400 in front and 450 ft/lbs in the rear very soon though for the track. IIRC I have 350 in the rear and 300 in the front right now and Im still using what ever the little 'buffer' spring is that came in my cosmo kit.

Once you get the shocks sorted out the bounce/oscillation will go away. 15K miles on my suspension and Ive not had any issues, but Ive been told by multiple people that Im going to kill the tokico's though.

Great , thanks the confidence. I found that QA1 also sells springs and have a lot of choices in length and weight. They sell a 550lb 7inch spring that will work on our setups. I may just buy these for the front and leave the 8kg on the rear. 

I am saving for motor swap stuff and can't afford the tokico's yet. 

Turbo..... all I need now is plumbing and of course the install. I got t3 stock turbo, 83 ecu turbo, 83 distributor, turbo oil pump and drive gear, intercooler and piping, msd electric fuel pump, oil cooler, oil drain lines, afm, throttle body 60mm from 240sx, n42 intake, down pipe, 

I need a clutch as well.