HybridZ

doing a v8 conversion on a 280zx, couple q's

gompers

This is my first time here so hopefully this is a good section to post this,  I'm doing a v8 conversion on my 79 280zx, the final product should have something close to 300 hp, maybe a little less.

My mechanic said I should think about putting in a solid rear axle if it were going to have more horse power but the independent rear suspension should be okay for this build, I was wondering what other people have done in this situation?  I want to leave the IRS in there because I know a new differential would need a lot of modification, are there any good ways to strengthen the irs so I won't have problems down the line?

Your 280ZX has an R200 differential. It is the differential most people use for a V8 conversion. 

The R200 will handle 300hp just fine.

Spend some time reading in the Drivetrain Section. All of the answers are there.

The only "issue" with the rear end is that the semi-trailing arm design is prone to squat. In drag racing this isn't the biggest deal in the world but in road racing the squat combined with body roll causes the rear end to want to steer outwards, which takes quite some getting used to... There's lots of rally cars with this design that have made it work, but less examples on the tarmac. 

And guys make 300hp to the wheels all the time with the L28ET, and I've never seen one brake anything in the back end, especially if you have the beefier turbo half shafts (which mate to corresponding hubs if I remember correctly). And these guys are making well over 300 lbs, if not more like 350, which is the realm a 5.7 liter NA V8 should be around with 300hp. Only difference is that the torque of a turbo motor hits a little softer initially while snapping the clutch on a V8 can introduce a lot of shock, even at low RPM.

But I still don't foresee any issues. Just find a LSD R200 if you can, or weld it if you don't mind the drawbacks.

It could also have an R200.  There appear to be 23 variants of body style, transmission and diff combinations for the 79, according to the General Information chapter.  Nissan kind of went crazy.  Some of them are 2 seaters with 3.7 R200's.

post-8864-0-97942700-1359074946_thumb.jpg

It could also have an R200.  There appear to be 23 variants of body style, transmission and diff combinations for the 79, according to the General Information chapter.  Nissan kind of went crazy.  Some of them are 2 seaters with 3.7 R200's.

To be even more specific, yes. Though the 2 seater with the R200 is the GL model, which I don't see to many of running around.

Ive been pm'ing with the OP about it since he had other questions to ask me. I gave him the list of R200 equipped models.

Add in a rear strut mount, change to a stiffer rear spring/strut combo, get some rear poly bushings in.  Consider a 300zx CV and flange swap if the turbo 280zx CV and flanges are hard to come by.  R200's will be just fine.  You could also get a LSD for a 240SX with open diff.  I have a KAAZ 1.5 LSD like this and it works great.