HybridZ

In Japan going crazy over parts

vert88

So ive been in Japan for a couple months now and slowly learning to get around, well last week a friend of mine took me to Up Garage and i fell in love, hell i think i would live in the shop if they let me, parts galore all over the place, now the reason that i am posting,

Prior to leaving for my 2 year stint in Japan as i am i  the Navy i bought a 1983 280zxt with the intentions of dropping an RB26 into it and getting as much l28 parts that i can find for a decent price to add to my collection.

I plan on keeping my L28 along with the borg warner tranny but what i cant seem to find is if there is another clutch setup that would be compatable with the 5 speed because i would like to get an OS giken clutch for it.

Maybe i am getting ahead of myself here but I just bought a tubular turbo manifold for the L28 and now i have my eyes on this twin turbo setup so yes i know i have a problem so dont judge me, ive tried curing myself but it just seems to come back.

Here is a pic of my car they are taken with an iphone so they are grainy.

So far ive don the 5 lug conversion which is very easy i might add and the 300zx 4 piston brakes with s13 coilovers, i plan on getting  g-nose setup from here and ship it back and run it with the rest of the aero 2 sides and rear skirt.

post-7395-0-53088200-1359131325_thumb.jpg

post-7395-0-04996000-1359131354_thumb.jpg

post-7395-0-25880100-1359131389_thumb.jpg

Where in Japan, Yokosuka, Atsugi, Sasebo, Okinawa?  I spent 3 yrs on Okinawa and 2-1/1 at Yokota.  Nissan cancelled last years NISMOFest at Fuji Speedway but maybe they'll hold one this year.  There should also be some kind of nostalgic car show near you at some point this year, especially if you're in Tokyo.

Hey bluedestiny on the 5 lug swap i got a set of s13 coilovers and spindles with aftermarket hubs and 300zx 4 piston brakes, its a very easy straight forward swap. The rear gave me a little trouble cause it was more time consuming cause i went to the junkyard and sourced out an 87 300z and pulled the rear a-arm with the hubs and then did the same to my car and swapped them out. But what i should have done was pull the arm with the axles and brakes and just swapped the whole a-arm setup and then i would not need to run a spacer in the back to take care of that 1 inch gap between the fender and the rim because the 86 arms would have pushed then out further on both sides.

Hey bluedestiny on the 5 lug swap i got a set of s13 coilovers and spindles with aftermarket hubs and 300zx 4 piston brakes, its a very easy straight forward swap. The rear gave me a little trouble cause it was more time consuming cause i went to the junkyard and sourced out an 87 300z and pulled the rear a-arm with the hubs and then did the same to my car and swapped them out. But what i should have done was pull the arm with the axles and brakes and just swapped the whole a-arm setup and then i would not need to run a spacer in the back to take care of that 1 inch gap between the fender and the rim because the 86 arms would have pushed then out further on both sides.

Whoa, a little more insight on this please??  So you're telling me, you bought S13 coils, spindle, and five lug hubs and you were able to get it to work with our control arms?? 

So on the rear you were able to convert to disc as well??  

Pics please!

EDIT

Boo, I just realized you were a S130, not a S30.  Very cool car regardless though!  I'm still trying to find a stock S130 turbo as a daily so this information is still good for me :)

Edited by ihiryu

Would you be willing to helping me find a replacement jdm front right bumper turn light assembly and left fender mirror for a zx/s130?  I'm willing to throw in some extra cash for your trouble.  For now I've tried rigging up a modified US light and it's not the best looking setup...they're different sizes in width...as is the fender mirror internals that I tried to switch out.

Sam aka 69sroadster 

Sorry for the delay in writing, Ive been helping a friend of mine here on base and i also able to get a 1990 Nissan Skyline GTST 4 door, Its not a GTR but for 700 bucks and its a turbo with a body kit who am i to complain, the only thing is that i will be swapping an rb25det into it probably when i am on cruise and since this car will be 25 years old once i leave japan i will be sending it back to the states and dont worry i will add photos of the car later once i open up a photobucket acct.

Atsugi's not too far away from Zama where the Nissan dream garage is. You might be able to engineer a visit with the metro Tokyo or Yokohama Z car club.

That is what i will be happy to do, I take the train to most places out here so for cause stil not use to driving on the right side but it will come in due time. So i will look these places up.

69sroadster  Go to yahoo auctions jp and look around on that site, I have to tell you that i got wood just looking at all the turbo parts for out cars that are just plain sexy (L28) I also saw mirrors on there, i have a Japanese friend out here that owns a shop and if i see it on there all i do is give him the bid number and he bids on it for me and when it gets to his shop i pay for it.

The only thing is i lost out on a sweet tubular turbo manifold for the L28 cause i only bid on it and not just do the buy it now feature. But i will look around and see what i can find.

I was about to say, good luck trying to get a newer (R33/34) GTR back into the US. They do not like them at all; I've heard stories of people getting tracked down and their skyline shells taken. But as it will be over the age limit they set you should sail right on through. I'd love to have one of the S15's, but those are a few more years out.

You should snag up some of the JDM wheels and ship them back to yourself. Make a huge profit over here reselling them!! I've read that the classic JDM wheels can be had over there for a fraction of what they go for here.

If you ever wanted to snag me some cool S13 parts..... I would be your best friend for life. haha

#14 icon_share.pngR3VO 3VOM  you would go mad over here because of all the cheap s13,14 and 15 parts over here a buddy of mine just sold an itb setup for an sr20 for 200 bucks and there are a couple twin disk greddy clutches at upgarage for 300 bucks and they are in great shape. The wierd thing is all this is just what ive found in the last couple weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Vert88,

Were you able to use the rear S13 coilovers with the Z31 hubs? Secondly, you mention using a 1 inch spacer to fill the fender to wheel gap. I assume this is from using the Z31 hub on the S130 a-arm rather than the whole Z31 a-arm, cv axle, and brake assembly. Is this correct? Lastly, how did you compensate for the lower ball joint angle on the S13 front hubs?

Wow, yesterday I had a missed call from Japan, and a voicemail.

Dead machine in Hiroshima!

That would get me there, and then the following weekend I would be free in Yokohama before shipping out to Brunei.

I'm buffing the Z-Buddha's Belly for good fortune and a PO to divert me there for Yokohama Nostalgic Two-Days!