HybridZ

My 280z is overheating! Please help!

Wednesday afternoon on the way home from practice my z suddenly had a huge leak. It was coming out of the front from the water pump. So I went to oreilly's and bought a new water pump thermostat and gaskets. After installing these the z dose not leak but overheats after 5 minutes. I left the fan shroud off but I highly doubt that's why. Im going to try reinstalling the old water pump but I dont have a clue why the new one would be faulty...

What was the condition of the removed water pump?

How were the fins? Were they all there? Sometimes the fins rot away, which could potentially be stuck in the cooling system.

Maybe try a flush?

Also, make sure the clutch on your mechanical cooling fan (if you're still using one) is working. But I think this is less likely, but a good thing to test nonetheless.

Hopefully it isn't something serious. Best of luck

and yeah, its not the shroud.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

. It was coming out of the front from the water pump.

...Im going to try reinstalling the old water pump

?  Why would you do this?  Reinstall a "huge leak".

Are you sure that you're not just more aware of the gauge needle since it overheated?  The gauges aren't very accurate.  When you say it still overheats are you going off the guage reading or some actual sign of over-pressure and over-temperature?

And did you remember to put the belt back on?

Hey guys sorry it was a busy week. Turned out that when I told my brother to fill it all the way up with water and then add antifreeze he just put a gallon of antifreeze in there and didn't bother with the water because he was sure that only antifreeze went in....Well hes not allowed to work on the z anymore...let alone any car. So now its running perfectly fine and cooler than ever with the new water-pump and thermostat.