HybridZ

Need help: Startup after a year of hibernation

two4d

I recently bought a 76 280z- previous owner said it ran great a year ago when last driven.  I did a bunch of work to it in the last month or so before starting the car up for the first time.  (It's an L28 with 32/36 DGV weber carbs)

I changed oil and added some lucas treatment to the oil before cranking it.  When I finally tried to start it up, it runs and idles decently.  My concern is it sounds like a diesel truck-  by that I mean the lifters make a good bit of noise and I assume the carbs need proper tuning.  What causes the lifters to make such a racket?  Should I be looking at replacing anything internally?

Definitely adjust valves, and then mess with the carbs. L engines tend to make a lot of noise anyway. I highly doubt that anything is seriously wrong with the engine if you got it to start up and idle without a problem.

And before anyone says anything about swapping to round top SU carbs, get it running right with the webers first. Throwing a new fuel mixing system at an engine that doesn't run right anyway won't help. Those carbs "suck" compared to the round top SU's. Suck is in quotes because everyone loves the round tops for their pretty much self tuning idiot proof system that works for 99% of drivers.

Edited by BluDestiny

Thanks for the advice - I will go back in and work on adjusting the valves and check torque on the head bolts.  I did not do either before start up.  It may sound like "basic mechanical tune-up" stuff but I've not messed with L motors before, nor anything considered a classic.  Or anything that's sat for an extended period of time, so this is definitely a learning process for me.  Thanks for the help guys and BluDestiny- I've definitely read a fair amount of opinions very similar to that regarding the webers vs. round top SU's...that won't deter me on them just yet! ha.. 

When I was 8, we had a kid in Town come back from Vvietnam, and I don't know WHY his mentioning "Annie's in Bangkok" stuck with me for... Uh... 40 years... But I was walking down the soi one day taking in the sights and... "Hey, ANNIE'S!"

It's like me watching "World's Fastest Indian" ...

If you think kids don't retain the oddest crap that steers their life, don't bet on it!

• Like 1

If you clicked before reading the threads before...and actually expected work-safe content, the reason you're unemployed is NOT because you got caught viewing that site!

And that's Annie's. It's unique. That's about all I can say.

I didn't link you to the Patpong Ping-Pong sites because Awk didn't talk about Patpong Ping-Pong. He talked about "Annie's in Bangkok" and damned if it wasn't still there!!!

I'm sure there are sites dedicated to Patpong Ping-Pong.

"I would expect such sites would not be work safe..."

Wow that got off topic fast...

Anyhoo, AT LEAST download the FSM for free. It goes through just about ANYTHING you need to know when it comes to working on these cars. I might be guess a bit high, but I'd say that a good 75% of threads in this forum section have questions that are easily answered by the FSM. Absolutely shocking how rampant the lack of interest to read the damn thing is.

The manual even has a full section dedicated to the basic tune up...