HybridZ

250k '81 L28E Compression Numbers

Gollum

The relatively clean perimeters of the piston tops is a sign of bad oil rings, I believe.  The oil left behind washes the edges clean.  A fresh head might run better but things will probably recarbonify pretty quick and oil consumption will stay high.

No expert, just testing what I've learned.

That might be true, but generally I've been under the impression that'd be noticeably SHINY-looking. This pictures are much brighter/more-lit than your eye would see it, as I wanted to expose the picture well enough to really SEE the piston and what's going on.

But there's definitely some difference between certain pistons which would leave me to wonder about rings on those pistons versus others, but the carbon build up is pretty even across the board, and the compression was pretty even too, all of which could be explained by leaking valve stems.

I put 50k on this motor in basically this shape, if I get another 4-5 years and another 50k out of just a basic top end gasket job I'll be pretty darn happy.

And all that said... THANK YOU for your input. It at least gets me thinking about some stuff at the very least.

• 4 weeks later...

So here's some pictures that tell a story:

DSC_0343_zps35f276f1.jpg

DSC_0348_zps5b342a91.jpg

DSC_0351_zps6e2cb41a.jpg

DSC_0352_zps70b925e4.jpg

There might be a chance that explains the coolant leak.... I knew I was getting air into my coolant system and because of that I was losing coolant, and also overheating in traffic. I never saw white smoke so I was kind of eager to get in and figure out what was going on... Well I think this might explain it. That passage looks to have corroded JUST ENOUGH to let air into the water passage but not truly bypass the fire ring allowing much coolant into the chamber. The offending piston would be #6, which as you can see in my previous post, doesn't look to have any significant coolant/water burning signs.

Now to figure out what I want to do about it...

That's what I'm worried about. Two other holes are pretty darn close to a fire ring, but certainly not in it. I'm sure the interior passages aren't very pretty.

The crappy thing is that once I got the motor put back together I was going to donate the car to a friend of mine who can certainly use it more than I can. I don't want to give him a car that's guaranteed to overheat and certain implode on itself in less than another 50k.

So it looks like I'll probably end up going hunting for a new one. 

I have an N42 for sale. OR Why not send one of those P90 heads off and put it on there?

I mean Id like the extra P90, but head hunting for one of those stock heads at this point in time seems fruitless when you could just as easily use an N42 or the P90 you have around. That is to bring up the point of how many places are you going to find one of those heads, cause I havent seen an S130 in a yunk yard for about a year now...

Or you can give up and sell the car to Frank (who wont mind a torn down engine)... Then there are no worries about the overheating issues to the recipient of the "donation". For $1000 he can get an S13 240sx... it will get similar mileage Im sure, and parts are just as cheap as the S130 and there are a ton of those cars in the wrecking yards. Food for Thought.

All wonderfull food for thought. 

Would you be concerned about using a round port manifold on a P90? For some reason I've always assumed you needed to stay kosher on that.

As far as finding S130s in the yard, I think you've just had bad luck bro. I've seen at least one every time I've been in the last 5 years, but then again it's been at least 6 months since I've been. The kicker is that even when I was going once a month I rarely saw the same S130 twice. Seems like the supply might be waning, but maybe it was just a dry spell.

And as far as selling to frank, I guess I could sell it to frank and for the same money find something economical to donate to this friend, but that does start to become more work than just junk yard hopping for some parts. I then becomes a whole emotional ride of craigslisting, finding the best thing I can to suit his needs, best bang for the buck, etc, etc, etc... It might end up being a long road to nowhere. The beauty of donating THIS car is that there's no KBB value, which means I can use NADA guide values, which START at $3,200... $4k+ in tax advantage means a lot more than $1k, or even $2k in my pocket right now, and if I find something newer to donate I doubt I'll be able to pass off as much deduction unless I went the opposite direction and found a falcon or something....

But nevertheless.... it's food for thought, and I won't ignore it.

EDIT: Quick hunt shows most people just grind out the stock round manifold a bit to gasket match... Hmmm...... All I'd have to do is fix the exhaust stud and drop in 2 maybe 3 valves to be safe (since it HAS been sitting on it's deck for, ummm..... 4+ years now... At least I had it on wood that whole time), and maybe do a quick valve lap. Hell, I know it was rebuilt about 20-30k miles ago, I might just clean it, inspect it, and run it! I think I'll make some quick passes through the yards to have a look, and then make my decision. I'd kinda rather keep the P90 on the shelf just because of it's value, but it might be a worthwhile candidate.

Edited by Gollum

Its been a long time since I messed with the F54 engines in stock form... Did any of them run a square port? Id assume that its got an O2 since its a ZX correct? So you need a square port ZX manifold if that exists. 

Im sure you could just grind the manifold for the gasket in a worst case scenario. 

On a separate note regarding donation: Do you get full stated value or a percentage of stated value as a writeoff? Ive never gone through those steps, but recently came upon a local deal regarding a MB where the guy was debating selling over donating because the total value of the car was $3000 in best shape and $1000 min according to KBB, and the car doesnt run. He was told he gets only 70% of the cars current value to writeoff which is less than what I was willing to give him. The car was valued at $500-600 after considering maintenance and repairs needed. I have no idea if that is good information though. I just went with it as my offer for the car was still more than what he thought he would get otherwise. It may be different as there is no KBB further back than what? ... 1993 at this point.

OH, and the maxima is still in the PNP right now... I can pull that N47 if its helpfull. If youd like to explore that call me this weekend(HALF OFF!)

Oh common ray, you know the answer to this!

SEARCH!!!

Oh I had to. For the real answer...

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/car-donation/tax-deduction.jsp

As long as the donation location doesn't SELL it, you can claim the entire fair market value. If there's no KBB value, or if you feel the KBB value is off due to maybe a collector status (like how KBB is ALWAYS off on limited edition mustangs), you're legally able to use records of actual sold vehicles. The only time the IRS would dispute a claimed value, that I'm aware of, is during an audit. Then you'll be up against an agent who needs to see proof, but won't know a lick about cars most likely, so really it's about documentation.

Oh, and the '79-'80 ZX had a N47 with liners, so should be pretty much the same exhaust manifold as the later P79. I'd probably just end up cutting the one I've got if i put the P90 on there.

And you know why I want the maxima head, and it's NOT for this S130... Which would mean I'd definitely have to source a new P79 since you'd probably want my P90 in exchange. :wink:

"$4k+ in tax advantage means a lot more than $1k, or even $2k in my pocket right now,"

What he hell tax bracket are you IN anyway? I think you REALLY need to discus that with a Tax Advisor, I think getting a $1,000 in unreported cash payment advances your situation far more than the tax advantage provided by a $4,000 deduction on itemized listing (unless you are that close that you aren't meeting AGI percentage to allow deductability...)

Give trash to Goodwill dude... sell the car and get CASH!

You spoke of switching various spark plugs....you didn't stick with the stock Heat Range did you? Get one range hotter AT LEAST. That will help with the fouling being burnt off.

Make sure they have the proper gap when installed, people say plugs today are 'pregapped' but my checking of them says "B.S."!

Hotter Plugs will combat that fouling.

"$4k+ in tax advantage means a lot more than $1k, or even $2k in my pocket right now,"

What he hell tax bracket are you IN anyway? I think you REALLY need to discus that with a Tax Advisor, I think getting a $1,000 in unreported cash payment advances your situation far more than the tax advantage provided by a $4,000 deduction on itemized listing (unless you are that close that you aren't meeting AGI percentage to allow deductability...)

Give trash to Goodwill dude... sell the car and get CASH!

Tony, I'm self employeed. This year has been a good one, and as such I've paid off some debts which means I'm at a much higher taxable income than usual this year. I haven't had to pay quarterly taxes yet, which is what I'm trying to avoid. Last year a $400 donation put me just over the edge to keep me in the bracket I want to stay in, and my return went from getting $200 back to getting $2,000 back... Yea.. I think I know what I'm trying to do with my finances. :wink:

PS... my mom's an accountant, I've grown up around taxes and all that entails.

You spoke of switching various spark plugs....you didn't stick with the stock Heat Range did you? Get one range hotter AT LEAST. That will help with the fouling being burnt off.

Make sure they have the proper gap when installed, people say plugs today are 'pregapped' but my checking of them says "B.S."!

Hotter Plugs will combat that fouling.

I always stuck with stock heat ranges, and I always gap my plugs before putting them in. I NEVER trust "pregapped", even if they're premium plugs I'm putting in for someone else.

And we'll see how much it fouls when I get it put back together. I think I'll be junkyard shopping next week.

Ahh, one of those...

Yeah, if you're close like I said... But a pick upload of trash going to Goodwill...

And fresh cash in your hand outside of the Imperial Taxation Structure can have the same effect.

Quarterlies suck.

What? You thought I was gonna search for your answers? Bwah! 

I dont donate vehicles. I probably could if I was in a pickle, but I wouldnt know until it was to late. 

Im not sure what a cylinder head at PNP costs these days and its half off until tomorrow...

• 4 weeks later...

So I've finally broken down and decided just to throw my P90 on the motor and get the thing running again. I'm not sure how I feel about this still, but in the long run I don't even want to be running a P90 on my turbo build anyways, so why should I be heartbroken over a few $$$ I might get if I ever actually let the damn thing go to a new home. (  <--  see Tony, that's how you get rid of crap :-D  )

So now as of tonight the block surface and pistons are clean and the threads are all cleaned up thanks to some time with a tap. I also threw the manifold gasket on the head and the exhaust manifold and guess what??? No grinding required! The stock NA manifold (this year at least) is well oversized compared to the P90 head exhaust ports and should be fine as-is. This is also completely ignoring the fact that the exhaust manifold overall lines up like children getting ready to go back to their classroom. I'm positive it's just warping, but it's amazing just how much these things warp over the years. Really makes be consider the value of even the cheap header options.

Left to do:

Wrap up my intake de-webbing and cleanup

Make a new EGR tube

Do a quick checkup of P90

Reassemble

Here's a picture of what's I'm now dubbing "the most confused intake on a L engine"

DSC_0402_zpsbd87ddd0.jpg

And it'll match my freshly wire brushed valve cover that's now been cleared for good measure:

8a9438c2-a2d2-4d05-80ca-3dc042fbc8cb_zps

Now hopefully I can get it all back together before this weekend. If I have time I'll do a compression test to try to bring this thread full circle as it's now become a little mini project thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't make my deadline, the head needed too much cleanup, and I don't exactly have anything resembling a parts cleaner. 

But after a week of soaking the deck surface in vinegar it came clean real easily tonight so all that's left for the head is just a good spray with a can of brake cleaner, along with some air down pressure, and then lube it all up before throwing it on.

My intake still needs to be reassembled with all it's accessories. Part of me wants to take the time to get new vacuum lines along with coolant lines, and the other part of me just wants to put the damn thing together and get it running so I have time to sort out any problems before taking the car camping next weekend. I guess on one hand it all should be done anyways, but on the other hand I doubt it'll be running worse than it was and most of that stuff is easy enough to do with the intake in the car.