HybridZ

Fender Flares & Cutting of the Body

I already have fender flares mounted from the previous owner but I'm needing to remove them to cut out the stock fender wells to run my 17x9's. Is there a how-to somewhere on here? I tried looking around but couldn't come up with anything. I know the idea of it is pretty straight forward, but when cutting into the body I don't want to half ass it. Measure twice..cut once! Thanks in advance

Cut high, especially if you have 17's. I just had to recut my fenders in the rear again because I didn't cut enough the first 2 times. If you're using ZGs you might have an issue getting the flare high enough to clear the wheel. Best thing to do is cut, then put the suspension on with no spring, bolt the wheel up, and jack the suspension up and down to make sure that you have enough room. That way you actually know for sure.

Hehe... my wheels are 15x14s, and I'm using a 13" wide 23.5" slick.

Width is not the issue when cutting the fenders; diameter is the important part. My tires are most likely smaller in diameter than yours which gives you less room than I have.

If you follow through Austin's post above, you'll see where he mounted the ZG's too low and didn't cut enough and had to redo it. On mine with the smaller diameter tires I basically did like Austin did, then fixed it like he did, and then mocked it up with my camber plates and sectioned struts and found that I still didn't have enough room. 

There are a lot of variables, so putting the suspension together with no spring and jacking the wheel up and down is really the best way to know for sure.

Yes cut high, as in almost straight out from the high point of the well. With 25" tires (likely with 17" rims) and full use of suspension such as racing and you will need all you can get. This is my experience with the group by Rotas and also had to recut higher to clear. With the old 23" race tires this was not an issue. All this is with ZG flares. They work but I had to pinch the ends together some and redrill new mounting holes so they wouldnt rub.

Cameron

I cried a little inside when I cut my rears. I took 3.5" out at the center of the wheel well. 26" tires here. If you want a "tucked" look, I wouldn't recommend cutting as much as I did. The top of my tire is still visible under the flare (from side view) at ride height. If i had it to do over again, I would have mounted my flares lower, and given it a more tucked look. But hey, live and learn!

I will also add that I had to cut some more out of the front from what is shown. This is assuming stock geometry suspension.

image201204090001.jpg

IMG_20120409_160956.jpg

IMG_20120409_165525.jpg

Edited by SUNNY Z

It should be possible to fit flares without having to re-paint the rear quarter shouldn't it? Just as long as you take your time at the welding and don't do it all at once and therefore overheat the metal and paint.

Edited by EF Ian

It should be possible to fit flares without having to re-paint the rear quarter shouldn't it? Just as long as you take your time at the welding and don't do it all at once and therefore overheat the metal and paint.

Yes be careful and you will be fine.