HybridZ

280zx n/a distributor on l28et

vale2489

For those of you running an n/a distributor on your l28et, are you running it on an 82-83 harness? The reference I can find of someone doing it is Krumm on the wiring sticky and I believe hes running an 81 harness ( with the crank mounted CAS hooked up?)...My concern is the timing not being the best once in boost ( im keeping it on stock boost for a while), my reason for doing this is I have a bad CAS and the pick'n pulls dont have anything from a vg30e i can pull ( unless an older pathfinder one would work). Also are you supposed to leave the vacuum advance unhooked? The ideal of getting rid of the CAS and it's faultiness sounds nice.

Krumm used that setup because his crank mount CAS was suspected to be bad...turned out it was actually the ignitor for his coil that was the problem...I know this because I now have the car and got it running the "right way". Your distributor will be just that...something to distribute spark, if you wire it Krumm's way, no communication with the ECCS, which is not ideal.

If worse comes to worse you can always buy someone's used 82-83 dizzy cuz it'll have a working CAS.

That's my $0.02

I did have a bad ignitor at first, swapped in an hei setup and it fired...solved that, then after that no spark, i did the cas test per cgsheens instructions on another post and found it was bad. I swapped in the n/a distributor i had laying around and it popped and back fired, looks like it didn't time the oil pump shaft correctly. Ill get it timed and roll with it until i can find another turbo dizzy.

• 1 year later...

how do you use a n/a dizzy for a turbo set up? can it be done if you go aftermarket ECU like MegaSquirt?

You can't learn this stuff from a phone.  You'll need a big screen and time to read.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/50208-the-ultimate-l28et-guidewhat-you-need-for-350whp/

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/38461-240z-260z-280z-turbo-swap-guide/

https://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

how do you use a n/a dizzy for a turbo set up? can it be done if you go aftermarket ECU like MegaSquirt?

On the 81 engines with a Crank-Mounted CAS, the distributor drive is identical to the N/A since they are only distributing the spark and a jitter of 10-15 degrees won't mean anything.

On the 82/83 CAS mounted in the distributor, the standard N/A Dizzy Drive is too sloppy, so the spline was used to basically limit slop to a couple of degrees from spline slop and drive gear engagement backlash.

Any 81 L28ET will run if you stick the N/A Dizzy in it. Remember the ECCS handled spark timing calculations, which didn't impact fueling. Fueling was based on the pickup of the coil firing and tripping the injectors every third spark event. Really the 82/83's will work the same way...but driving that N/A dizzy is somewhat of a pain.

It's why you get no fuel when your Ignitor... No spark, no input to trigger the injectors.