HybridZ

r200 clsd swap into 1978 s30

I have done my research on this topic and i hate to start another thread but i am having a hard time finding a definitive answer to my question, specifically for my 78. Here it goes: I know that the r200 clsd out of the 87-89 turbo z31 models will swap into an s30 with the z31 billet adapters, it seems like it is a tight fit I would like to avoid axel wrap issues. I have read and heard several different scenarios to get them to properly fit. The first scenario that ive heard is that if you flip the cages with the z31 billet adapters the r200 will fit in. For the second scenario I have also heard that in some cases if you flip the cages and use two passenger axels (which are the longer axels) then the axel mates up perfectly. The third scenario is the simplest and i hope it works for me. I have read on a few different threads scattered through out the intra-web that since my 78 s30 already has a r200 differential that i wont have to flip cages or swap axels to get it to fit. It seems like every thread is different; some are saying that it works best if you only flip one cage and not the other, some say flip both, and others say swap out the drivers axel and don't/do flip both cages. Any advice would greatly be appreciated obviously i would like to get it right the first time with as little head ache as possible, any advice would be greatly appreciated especially if you have done this swap on a 78 s30 with the pre existing r200. I am planning on running an l28et with a fs5r30a so having the cv axles is crucial. Thanks y'all. 

Edited by branut89

If you don't want cv axles and want to use stock halfshaft. Then, swap out your 280z r200 yoke/companion flange and put it on the z31 clsd so it bolts up to your driveshaft. Next use your existing 280z r200 side stub axles and lightly hammer them into your new z31 clsd. Now you can use your stock halfshafts. Done!

The very simplest way is to pop the stub axles out of the R200 that's in your 78 now and pop them to the 87-89 CLSD that you want to install.  The CLSD will then bolt in just like the open diff that you're replacing, and you can use your u-joint half-shafts. 

Your scenarios 1-3 are all about getting CV half-shafts to work, which you probably don't need unless you're making lots of extra torque and have big tires, and want to use both to the extreme.

bZ writes faster than me...and I forgot the part about the pinion flange...

Edited by NewZed

See that is the thing, i am planning on running an l28et with a R30a transmission so having the cv axles is important.

The very simplest way is to pop the stub axles out of the R200 that's in your 78 now and pop them to the 87-89 CLSD that you want to install.  The CLSD will then bolt in just like the open diff that you're replacing, and you can use your u-joint half-shafts. 

Your scenarios 1-3 are all about getting CV half-shafts to work, which you probably don't need unless you're making lots of extra torque and have big tires, and want to use both to the extreme.

bZ writes faster than me...and I forgot the part about the pinion flange...

If you don't want cv axles and want to use stock halfshaft. Then, swap out your 280z r200 yoke/companion flange and put it on the z31 clsd so it bolts up to your driveshaft. Next use your existing 280z r200 side stub axles and lightly hammer them into your new z31 clsd. Now you can use your stock halfshafts. Done!

You've missed a lot of discussion about why flipping the cages doesn't always work, in your searches.  If CV axles are crucial, this thread is probably where you want to go - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/112204-order-for-shorter-z31-turbo-axles-from-the-driveshaft-shop/page-2

Search "chequered flag joe" for the other parts.  Here's one - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/103581-billet-z31-cvcompanion-flange-adaptors/

Use "site:hybridz.org" with your search terms, on Google instead of the Hybridz search engine.  You'll find more stuff.